Driving without the smart key

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2010, 06:49 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Driving without the smart key

I'm sure the Toyota engineers thought about the shut off, say after 5 minutes after walking away from the car but they decided to let the car run. It is not saving the battery either.
The main reason why Toyota (and all car companies using smart key technology) does not shut off the engine (or locks the door) is to avoid stranding you in the middle of nowhere, with the doors locked just because your key fob went low on battery. The key fob going dead because of low battery or walking away from the car with your key fob (with the car running) will be exactly the same situation as far as the sensor in the car is concerned. So this particular "feature in your TCH is not stupid. I think the only thing stupid in my TCH is disabling the nav when the car is in motion. And oh yes, i forgot to add that **** ECO button.

Old 12-17-2017, 03:40 PM
Enthusiast

We have a 2007 TCH and my Wife took the only fob out of town ( I know should have replaced the second when it was lost) We have a key that opens the doors which I thought would start it but I am getting key not detected.

It is not an emergency but I'd like to get it out of the middle of the garage so I can park my Tundra inside if there is a not hugely invasively way to accomplish it.

Thanks

Old 12-17-2017, 03:53 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Floor jack and wheel dollies:

https://www.harborfreight.com/catalo...&q=wheel+dolly

Some locksmiths can deal with your situation as well.

Old 12-17-2017, 04:04 PM
Enthusiast

Both of those are more trouble than it is worth. Seems if you have a key that opens the doors it should start the car.

Old 12-17-2017, 04:45 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by e30cabrio
Both of those are more trouble than it is worth. Seems if you have a key that opens the doors it should start the car.
No. Those functions are independent.

Old 08-19-2022, 07:28 AM
Enthusiast

It ended up replacing the batteries done by a local locksmith.