Japan vs. Kentucky

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2006, 11:02 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Arrow Japan vs. Kentucky

It seems that early Camry Hybrids (until Oct. or Nov. 2006) will be coming from Japan.

Today, I had a chance to see the difference in paint quality with a side-by-side comparison of a Japanese (hybrid) and Kentucky (non-hybrid) Camry, both in Magnetic Gray.

The Japanese paint seemed superior to me in (1) depth, and (2) smoothness of finish (orange peel effect).

Will be interesting to see if there are other differences in build quality.

Old 05-06-2006, 05:45 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Japan vs. Kentucky

I haven't seen the hybrid yet, but the normal Camry from Kentucky gave me a really bad impression. Some of the plastic inside didn't fit together well and the overall finish wasn't what I expected from Toyota. They might have improved on it since then.

Old 05-08-2006, 09:15 AM
Just getting rolling ...

Originally Posted by Railroad
I haven't seen the hybrid yet, but the normal Camry from Kentucky gave me a really bad impression. Some of the plastic inside didn't fit together well and the overall finish wasn't what I expected from Toyota. They might have improved on it since then.
So it was a Japanese car made in the United States?

Old 10-18-2006, 01:52 PM

I saw this thread on the last page and figured I'd bump it up now that they're producing the TCH in Kentucky.

Old 10-24-2006, 03:20 PM
Active Enthusiast

Any more reports of quality differences between Japan and Kentucky made TCH's?

Old 10-24-2006, 03:27 PM

If the initial assessment becomes true that the Japanese paint quality is better, than god help the people with Kentucky paint. There is widespread disappointment among the 07Camry owners about how easily the front bumper paint will chip. I've already had to touch-up at least 10 significant paint chips on my car after just 6500 miles.

Old 12-03-2006, 09:28 PM
Enthusiast

Lordy lordy lordy !!...I should have read this before I took mine home. When I ordered mine back in July...they guy kept telling me it's from Japan. Now that i realized my VIN # starts w/ 4T...I feel uneasy. The plastic cover for the regular battery in the back did not snap in right...actually...the whole trunk looks wal-mart's..and I know japanese cars are not like that. I went to this forum...and here I am. The thing i did to save $1000...was to order and have the delayed production. Should have gotten one at MSRP back in July.

Old 12-04-2006, 04:41 AM
Active Enthusiast

Yup, when I ordered mine back in August 06 and got it from a different dealership (Peterson Toyota, NC stay faaaaar away from it, very bad experience), I made it clear that if the first letter in the VIN would not start with 'J' I would not purchase/buy it....

Old 12-04-2006, 07:18 AM
Enthusiast
Angry Re: Japan vs. Kentucky

....grrrr...I just called their customer relation. The guy who sold it kept telling me that the vehicle took so long cuz It was being built in Japan....Wat to do ...wat to do ?...I feel like driving in a time bomb now....lol

Old 12-04-2006, 07:38 AM
Dazed and Confused

Don't worry, I am sure it will be just as good as a Japan built version. Take solice knowing that more of your money stayed in our economy instead of sending it all overseas.

Remember that most Camrys have been built here for a number of years, and it is still rated as one of the most reliable cars made. All will be fine, just enjoy it.

Quick Reply: Japan vs. Kentucky

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands