HCH I-Specific Discussions Model Years 2003–2005

Airbag light

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2011, 07:29 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Airbag light

So my Airbag light came on the other day in my 04 Civic Hybrid. I retried the SRS reset (found here http://sites.google.com/site/hondalioness/srs) but the light just keep coming back after the last 2 blinks.

So I jumped pins 9 and 4 to try to count the blinks for the error and looks like I'm getting code 3-1 Open in left side seat belt tensioner. Does anyone know where to start troubleshooting this?

Here is the video of the code in case I was reading it wrong.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3Kfq3tm0xM

Thanks in advance!

Old 12-27-2011, 04:42 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Airbag light

Had indicator light problem couple of weeks back with my 2005 civic. Tried resetting it at first and light still stays on.
Got some CRC circuit board contact cleaner and sprayed the inside of the buckle while pressing down the latch up and down.
And reset it again doing the closed-circuit method and the indicator light went off.
I guess Honda buckles are not dirt and dust resistant, so over certain period of time depending on the environment, and if you open the windows often, you’ll have this problem.

Old 01-06-2012, 01:48 PM
Active Enthusiast

what is the closed-circuit method? is the jumping of the pins?

Old 01-08-2012, 01:31 PM
Enthusiast

I am having same issue. Used closed circuit method, light came back on. Went to autozone where they read your trouble codes for free and no code. I have heard Honda will replace your seatbelt free if it is the issue, I just don't want to involve dealer and have to pay a diagnostic fee. Help!

Old 01-08-2012, 08:06 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by poscivic
what is the closed-circuit method? is the jumping of the pins?
Yes you are correct.

Old 01-08-2012, 08:18 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by APuzer
I am having same issue. Used closed circuit method, light came back on. Went to autozone where they read your trouble codes for free and no code. I have heard Honda will replace your seatbelt free if it is the issue, I just don't want to involve dealer and have to pay a diagnostic fee. Help!
Yeah me too because the dealers charge too much. I've read in some forums that the dealer replaced the buckles and the problem went away. So i tried spraying some contact cleaner inside the driver side buckle by pushing the latch in and out . Then reset it and the light came off. I suspected that there's too much dirt and dust inside. I usually drive my car with open windows and not use A/C to save on fuel. (if you're planning to do this too, be careful because the content is flammable).

Old 01-09-2012, 06:00 AM
Enthusiast

So the light would be on even if the seatbelt is not fastened? I will try the contact cleaner approach and post results.

Old 01-09-2012, 09:38 AM
Active Enthusiast

I have been able to find any CRC circuit board contact cleaner but I had some compressed air and blew in it there, but seem too dirty or dusty. Did the reset and light is there there. My light comes on even when the seat belt is not fastened. I turn on the car and about 6 second after all the "self testing" (where all the lights blink) is done the SRS light stays on. No ODBII error for me as well.

I also heard about the lifetime seatbelt replacement from Honda, but only covers seat belt, not SRS\Airbag system. Hoping to do some troubleshooting my self to save from money.

Old 01-10-2012, 02:35 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by poscivic
I have been able to find any CRC circuit board contact cleaner but I had some compressed air and blew in it there, but seem too dirty or dusty. Did the reset and light is there there. My light comes on even when the seat belt is not fastened. I turn on the car and about 6 second after all the "self testing" (where all the lights blink) is done the SRS light stays on. No ODBII error for me as well.

I also heard about the lifetime seatbelt replacement from Honda, but only covers seat belt, not SRS\Airbag system. Hoping to do some troubleshooting my self to save from money.
Yes, mine too. The SRS indicator light came on even if the seatbelt was not latched. So I sprayed some as far as it can go inside using that white long tiny nozzle that came with the spray can and after that, I reset it. After the light blinked twice, within 4 sec, the light went off. Probably your problem is on the belt tensioner side. Because what the dealers usually do is to replace all of it (buckle and tensioner).

Old 01-10-2012, 07:37 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bgkz25
Yes, mine too. The SRS indicator light came on even if the seatbelt was not latched. So I sprayed some as far as it can go inside using that white long tiny nozzle that came with the spray can and after that, I reset it. After the light blinked twice, within 4 sec, the light went off. Probably your problem is on the belt tensioner side. Because what the dealers usually do is to replace all of it (buckle and tensioner).
Do you know what what code you were getting when the light was on? I wish mine was that simple.

Quick Reply: Airbag light

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands