HCH I-Specific Discussions Model Years 2003–2005

Battery not charging? Easy way to reset IMA control modules

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2015, 12:05 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Battery not charging? Easy way to reset IMA control modules

Will rethink and check with son if have wrench - most likely. Thanks! Will let you know how it goes! (Repair guy not in when called earlier, so I guess things are pointing to DIY!)

Old 10-19-2015, 02:38 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GrnrGrl
Will rethink and check with son if have wrench - most likely. Thanks! Will let you know how it goes! (Repair guy not in when called earlier, so I guess things are pointing to DIY!)
Ok. When the 12v was reconnected the green charge lights came on briefly upon starting the car. Idled for 30 minutes. No battery gauge lights. Will repeat process and force. While idling EPS light came on and gas gauge went blank. Noticed clock display went off but when revving engine came back on, gas gauge, too with EPS light going out. ??

Old 10-19-2015, 03:16 PM
Enthusiast

[QUOTE =Grnr Grl;25799 5]Ok. When the 12v was reconnected the green charge lights came on briefly upon starting the car. Idled for 30 minutes. No battery gauge lights. Will repeat process and force. While idling EPS light came on and gas gauge went blank. Noticed clock display went off but when revving engine came back on, gas gauge, too with EPS light going out. ??

Old 10-19-2015, 03:18 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GrnrGrl
[QUOTE =Grnr Grl;25799 5]Ok. When the 12v was reconnected the green charge lights came on briefly upon starting the car. Idled for 30 minutes. No battery gauge lights. Will repeat process and force. While idling EPS light came on and gas gauge went blank. Noticed clock display went off but when revving engine came back on, gas gauge, too with EPS light going out. ??
Forced the charge after doing the reconnect. All gauge lights lit up but only the temp and gas ones stayed on while revving to 3500rpms. Ran for a bit and turned engine off. On trying to restart the 12v stuttered and died. Help!

Old 10-19-2015, 04:09 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

If the green charge bars aren't showing, neither idle or 3500rpm are doing any good. I guess i didn't make that clear. If it fails to show charging, repeat the 12V reset.

In the prior idling/3500rpm runs, was the red battery light on? If it was, it's possible that you've drained the 12V.

Old 10-19-2015, 05:35 PM
Enthusiast

[QUO TE=S Keith;257998]If the green charge bars aren't showing, neither idle or 3500rpm are doing any good. I guess i didn't make that clear. If it fails to show charging, repeat the 12V reset.

In the prior idling/3500rpm runs, was the red battery light on? If it was, it's possible that you've drained the 12V.[/QUOTE]

The green charging lights showed briefly but did not stay on. After 2nd try all the indicators came on at the start - so something was working? - but did not stay on. Yes the red battery light stayed on. My error in thinking that was charging. Is there something else going wrong with the system that the IMA is not working? Code resets needed? Am probably headed in repair shop direction for expediency. Have an old battery charger but not sure it is working. Need car for dr. appointments etc. Thanks for your help.

Old 10-19-2015, 07:24 PM

If the red battery light is on, the 12V isn't charging. There are a number of reasons this could happen. The most common is due to a weak IMA battery.

In many cases, the 12V will still charge in the ~1500-3000rpm range. If you rev to 2000rpm and hold and the red battery light goes out, you are charging. The red light will come back on at idle. As long as the light is out most of the time, your 12V should stay adequately charged.

I recommend you get the 12V on charge and take it to the hybrid mechanic. The most likely solution is a grid charge.

I know you said your 12V is new, but that doesn't guarantee it's good. The 12V should be confirmed good with a load test before any major IMA system repair is undertaken.

Old 10-19-2015, 08:24 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by S Keith
If the red battery light is on, the 12V isn't charging. There are a number of reasons this could happen. The most common is due to a weak IMA battery.

In many cases, the 12V will still charge in the ~1500-3000rpm range. If you rev to 2000rpm and hold and the red battery light goes out, you are charging. The red light will come back on at idle. As long as the light is out most of the time, your 12V should stay adequately charged.

I recommend you get the 12V on charge and take it to the hybrid mechanic. The most likely solution is a grid charge.

I know you said your 12V is new, but that doesn't guarantee it's good. The 12V should be confirmed good with a load test before any major IMA system repair is undertaken.
S. Kieth, thank you for your advice on the 12v and IMA charging. I should have asked more questions on what to look for on the IMA charging, non-technical that I am. Any further advice for dealing with the repair shop? Thanks again.

Old 10-19-2015, 08:29 PM

First, get the error codes that accompany the IMA light.

After confirming the 12V system is good. Insist on a grid charge. A hybrid specific shop should be able to provide that service for low $.

Old 10-20-2015, 06:20 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by S Keith
First, get the error codes that accompany the IMA light.

After confirming the 12V system is good. Insist on a grid charge. A hybrid specific shop should be able to provide that service for low $.
Thanks. Will do.

Quick Reply: Battery not charging? Easy way to reset IMA control modules

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands