HCH I-Specific Discussions Model Years 2003–2005

Battery not charging? Easy way to reset IMA control modules

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2018, 06:02 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Battery not charging? Easy way to reset IMA control modules

"They" are full of crap. There's either something wrong with your battery, or something else is wrong with your IMA system. You won't know until you check codes. There are ways of telling if it's a bad cell or not.

Old 12-25-2018, 08:05 AM
Enthusiast

Looking for some help. I just replaced both batteries in my 2010 hybrid with brand new batteries.
Now I have the red battery light on my dashboard as well as the IMA and engine light.
Does anyone know how to reset these?
Already tried the 10 second push to reset, the 15 mph turn off for 2 seconds and nothing is working.

Old 03-15-2019, 03:39 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AndrewXY
It's been three months and my car is running fine despite S. Keith's doubts about the method's validity. It is true that if you have other problems this method will not work or will not over a long period. But if everything is working properly and the main battery pack has discharged from lack of driving, this will do the trick.
old post I know but I would like to say this was the only method that got everything back up and going when i accidentally killed my batteries the other day. Guess what we should take away from this is we clearly dont understand the IMA system nearly as well as we believe we do. Seems each car has it's own little differences.
thanks again Andrew, your solution got me going as well

FYI, I tried resets, fuses, grid charging, etx.. NOTHING worked

Old 07-04-2019, 07:50 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AndrewXY
I have to tell this story because find it almost unbelievable myself. I went on vacation and left my car (2003 Honda Civic Hybrid) in the driveway for six weeks. I had asked my brother to start it up now and then, but he didn't get to it. The battery was dead. I jumped it and it started but the IMA light was illuminated and the Main battery had no charge and was not charging. I replaced the 12 volt battery with a new one. The car would start but the IMA light remained on and no charging of the Main battery was taking place.
Also, the red battery image was showing up. I had a bad feeling that the Main batteries were toast and so was the car. This car has over 200,000 miles and I wasn't going to invest 3 or 4k on new batteries. I checked all the fuses, tried removing various fuses which people claimed would reset the system, nothing worked. Then I found a post on a forum by a guy in London who had the exact same symptoms. He claimed that he fixed it by driving his car down a quiet road, not driving too fast, say 15 mph, and switching the ignition off for 2 seconds and then back on. I was a little hesitant, knowing that switching off the ignition would kill the engine and then the power steering and brakes may fade out. However, this isn't a problem if you do it quickly. Once you switch the ignition back on the motor starts right back up, and low and behold, IT WORKS. The IMA light went off and the display showed that the car was charging the Main battery. Just like that.

The car is running fine now and the battery has a full charge. I can't believe it either.

My guess is that this technique sends a surge of electricity to the Main battery and kicks starts the charging process. How exactly I don't know, but it does work.

I need help with my car ?
did you car show check engine light on ?

Old 08-20-2019, 03:22 AM
Enthusiast
Default Code p1575 and p1600

My daughter bought me honda hybrid 2005. Runs and drives. Ima light, fuel tank light, 12v battery light , engine light all on. Gas gauge not working. We took it to autozone, replaced the 12v battery but still showing red. Code 1575 and p1600. Any suggestions please

Old 08-20-2019, 06:17 AM

I would encourage you to pursue return of the vehicle to the seller.

If that's not an option, take it to O'Reilly (not autozone) to have the codes read. Lotsa IMA codes Autozone can't read. P1575 generally doesn't occur by itself unless the IMA battery switch is turned off. If the IMA battery failed, the previous owner may have done that in an effort to bypass the battery.

You need to remove the lower seat cushion, seat back and switch cover. Steps 4-8:

https://hybridautomotive.com/pages/install-hc1pnp

If you hold the rpm at 2000 for 30 seconds, does the 12V light go off?

Old 10-21-2019, 05:36 AM
Enthusiast

I disagree do to the fact S.Kieth what you failed to remember is the power source for the charge does not come from engine RPM's it comes from the transaxle RPM's, so in conclusion, Andrew XY is exactly correct sorry S.Kieth

Old 10-21-2019, 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by jak209
I disagree do to the fact S.Kieth what you failed to remember is the power source for the charge does not come from engine RPM's it comes from the transaxle RPM's, so in conclusion, Andrew XY is exactly correct sorry S.Kieth
Not exactly sure to what you're referring, but you are incorrect. The IMA motor is sandwiched between the engine and transmission. It's the stator to the engine output shaft rotor. IMA current is directly proportional to engine speed. If transmission is in neutral, you will not get regenerative braking.

Old 12-13-2023, 03:25 PM
Enthusiast

I didn't have an account when I stumbled across this thread when my HCH1 was new to me and wouldn't charge after swapping batteries. It could be that this method does not work on automatic cars which lose hydraulic pressure and fall into neutral when the engine is shut off but on my manual it worked perfectly. I've actually used this method about 4 times now.

Basically when sitting too long the NIMH battery cells self discharge far enough to where the MCM thinks there is no battery connected and disables charge and assist. When key cycling in gear the system enables charge during its start up sequence and when it recognizes the response in battery voltage it realizes there is a battery that is low charge and attempts to fully charge and recalibrate.

Not 100% sure how the software logic works but like I said I have done it about 4 times after letting it sit too long without running. One time was when the wife's car was off the road and she was driving my Honda. She had the battery light come on under 1500 rpms and complained of lack of power. When I drove it I realized there was no charge or assist and I key cycled while coasting and the system started working properly again. Automatics may have to do the 3500+ rpm manual charge but I hate the wear and tear of holding 3600 rpms for like 5 minutes. Particularly because I have 299k miles on this engine already.

A grid charger should do the same thing by raising the battery voltage enough to enable the system. I just wouldnt use the Maxx Volts system as it has fried too many MCM's at this point to be coincidence. I posted in a different thread about this if anyone is having similar issues.