HCH I-Specific Discussions Model Years 2003–2005

Bizzare re-cal?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2006, 01:54 AM
Super Moderator & Contributor ($)
Default Bizzare re-cal?

My car died after a long FAS and would not restart. The display got all kinds of goofy and the charge indicator went from about 2/3rds to nothing flat in a few seconds. When the SOC hit zero I think the 12V starter kicked in and the car finally started after about 10 attempts. It drove normally after the ordeal.

Old 08-18-2006, 04:55 AM
World's First Hybrid
Default Re: Bizzare re-cal?

Maybe a loose connection somewhere along the DC high voltage power buss..or someplace else...???

Old 08-21-2006, 06:43 PM
Hybrid True Believer

I had a similar experience two weeks ago when I did a bunch of FAS in heavy traffic. When the IMA battery hit zero, I stopped manually turning the car off and the battery charge began regenerating after a few minutes. It hasn't had the problem again, however.

Old 08-21-2006, 08:42 PM

I've seen flickering and stuff when the 12v was not putting out enough voltage.

Old 09-05-2006, 05:17 PM
Active Enthusiast

If I'm not mistaken, the 12v battery, which is quite small in capacity, does not have available to it the power in the IMA battery to maintain it's charge level unless the key is in the "run" position. A long coast with the lights and accessories on, but the engine off, can quickly run down th 12v battery to a point where it no longer can support the onboard electronic brain, and strange things begin to happen. One of these things will be the IMA battery suddenly displaying NO charge. (There still is plenty of juice in the IMA battery, but the electronic brain can no longer ascertain that fact.)

When the 12v battery dies, jump starting the HCH simply entails repowering the electroinic brain so that when the key is turned to the run (or start) position, the IMA power again becomes available. It is the power in the IMA battery which powers starts and restarts of the engine, not the 12v one. Also, the depleted 12v battery will be recharged automatically, and quite quickly, courtesy of the IMA battery, as you drive. It's quite an elegant system!

Old 09-07-2006, 02:10 AM
Super Moderator & Contributor ($)

Originally Posted by ovals49
If I'm not mistaken, the 12v battery, which is quite small in capacity, does not have available to it the power in the IMA battery to maintain it's charge level unless the key is in the "run" position. A long coast with the lights and accessories on, but the engine off, can quickly run down th 12v battery to a point where it no longer can support the onboard electronic brain, and strange things begin to happen. One of these things will be the IMA battery suddenly displaying NO charge. (There still is plenty of juice in the IMA battery, but the electronic brain can no longer ascertain that fact.)

When the 12v battery dies, jump starting the HCH simply entails repowering the electroinic brain so that when the key is turned to the run (or start) position, the IMA power again becomes available. It is the power in the IMA battery which powers starts and restarts of the engine, not the 12v one. Also, the depleted 12v battery will be recharged automatically, and quite quickly, courtesy of the IMA battery, as you drive. It's quite an elegant system!
So you think the 12v battery was the problem and the car started from the main pack? I was thinking just the other way around, that the main pack died and the 12v kicked in......

Any way to tell the difference? The car started with the IMA pack showing completely dead, (I think).

BTW I've had no further trouble, the car seems fine...