HCH I-Specific Discussions Model Years 2003–2005

Catalytic Converter

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2006, 10:44 AM
Wannabe Hypermiler
Default Re: Catalytic Converter

Originally Posted by greenyule
Dealer diagnosis: my 2003 HCH needs a new catalytic converter because 'the only code it's throwing is for that'. I'm at 85,000 miles and have had a very intermittent malfunction indicator for the past three months or so.

Question: Is the catalytic converter different because it's a hybrid? The online parts catalogs seem to show that it's the same as for a 1.7l Civic.

I'm headed to a private, highly-recommended Honda place for a second opinion. I'll ask them to do a manual check of the O2 sensor.

My car doesn't seem to be affected by a recall, although I'm getting a strong sense that catalytic converters are a problem...
Did you have the ECU reflash performed already (about a year ago)? The reason I ask is that the ECU reflash was intended to fix possibility that the HCH I would run too lean and somehow damage the cat.

See: https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...ead.php?t=2759

Old 12-01-2006, 11:11 AM
Hybrid True Believer

I got a call back from Honda's customer relations department. Apparently the "check engine" code for a failed CAT might be a phantom. There is a software update for the HCH-I that will be released in January. The CAT might be just fine. I guess I'll know after I get the update installed.

Old 12-01-2006, 07:25 PM
Energy Independence

Whoa Ashen,
I wonder how much that glitch has cost HCH1 owners?
I know cats are one of the trouble spots on the HCH1's. Maybe it was REALLY the CATS, after all.
I'll be VERY interested in following your story here.

Old 12-02-2006, 03:36 AM
Enthusiast

Thanks very much for this! I don't think mine has had the ECU flash, although I'm the second owner so I'm not sure.

My "check engine" light has been off (probably as shocked by the cost of a new catalytic converter as I was) and with the icy driving here, I haven't taken it to the garage yet... I'll definitely stay tuned and add any details that I can.

Old 04-20-2007, 08:52 AM
The New Guy

Originally Posted by AshenGrey
I got a call back from Honda's customer relations department. Apparently the "check engine" code for a failed CAT might be a phantom. There is a software update for the HCH-I that will be released in January.
Did you ever hear if this update was released? My MIL just kicked on yesterday and AutoZone reports the code as P2000 which relates to the catalytic converter. I'd much rather hear that the code is spurious than sign up for a $1500 job at the dealer.

Old 04-21-2007, 05:59 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Catalytic Converter (replaced by Honda)

Larry, thanks for nudging me about this... should have posted 'the rest of the story' ages ago, and I'm sorry I haven't.

On the advice of an independent mechanic (kudos to Hondauto in Fort Worth), I contacted Honda and fussed (nicely) about how having a converter give up at 85K was not acceptable to me as a five-time Honda owner, given Honda's reputation for reliability over extended mileage, etc. After quite a grilling from the first person I spoke with, I was referred to 'regional', I think it was. A few days later, I got a phone call to say they'd replace the converter if I'd pay the labor charges (about $100). Needless to say, I was surprised and delighted!

Part of my complaint was that I'd been told by advisors at two dealerships that the check engine light also comes on when you haven't tightened the gas cap (as it says in the manual). Mine would come and go very sporadically. My advice: don't assume it's the gas cap problem!

I'm very grateful for the helpful advice I received here and from the mechanic, and of course also to American Honda for dealing with the problem!

All the best,
Kris

Old 04-21-2007, 06:02 AM
Enthusiast

I should also have mentioned that I brought up to Honda the fact that it seemed (from online forums like this one) that I wasn't the only owner of a Hybrid Civic to have catalytic converter problems at a fairly low mileage, like shortly after the 80K warranty on it expires!

I'm not sure how much that helped my case, but firmly believe that together we can make a difference!

Kris

Old 07-02-2011, 01:22 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by hweldon
Does anyone know the symptoms of a catalytic converter going bad?

Mine seems to be running pretty good, but my milage has dropped 10 to 15 mpg. This is disturbing. I just had the 90,000 mile service done and the technician said that it's not throwing out any trouble codes. The IMA also seems to be discharging and charging quite often. When the battery is fully charged, it will drop down to half charged just going up an onramp on the freeway.

This is frustrating me.

Howard
It was frustrating me too, but I have your solution.

My car was always showing a p2000 pd (post diagnostic code, meaning it doesn't turn on check engine light). But it also would occasionally flip the CEL on with a p2000 code. It also began throwing a p0134 (front O2 sensor). I too had lost 10 mpg.

Here's the thing:
The O2 sensor will throw the p2000 code, and possibly a p0134 code whenever you breach 10% difference in expected NO levels. Compared to a regular car, the window of allowability is very small for a hybrid.

I was thinking, "catalytic converter, oxygen sensor, $$$".

Turns out it isn't these things. It's your EGR valve that needs cleaned.

The purpose of the EGR valve is to recirculate NO into the engine; hence the name "Exhaust gas recycle" valve. If it becomes clogged, the NO goes straight into your exhaust, tripping your sensors and setting off codes. It is not part of regular service procedures, and yours likely has never been cleaned. Mine wasn't.

It's a simple, do it yourself project. It requires a can of carb cleaner ($2.50) and a 10 or 12 mm socket with extension. You could order a new one for $110 if you wanted to waste money, but the most you'll need is the gasket if yours is disintegrated like mine was.

Here is a write up that includes how to do it:
http://www.civicforums.com/forums/11...e-up-mods.html

The write up is for a normal civic, but the procedure doesn't change.

I was frustrated too; but once I cleaned my EGR valve, my gas mileage is back up to 47 mpg and all my trouble codes have cleared! No O2 sensor, no new catalytic converter.

Hope this helps!

UPDATE: I spoke too soon. Both codes came back. Changed my Oxygen sensor and both codes disappeared. So it is the O2 sensor.

Last edited by houstoib; 08-05-2011 at 04:09 PM.