HCH I-Specific Discussions Model Years 2003–2005

HCH I (2004) drive cycle steps?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2015, 01:13 AM
Enthusiast
Default HCH I (2004) drive cycle steps?

Does anyone know the correct steps to follow that will run the HCH through all the required checks needed to mark all the OBD-II readiness monitors as ready?

I have a state emissions test due at the end of the month and have a CEL on. This week I will have work done to repair the issue and rather than wait for enough drive cycles for it to turn back off on its own I'm considering asking the shop to just reset the CEL. Afterwards I'd go through a full drive cycle for readiness but can't seem to find a definitive list of steps, particularly for the 2004 HCH. Obviously I don't have a lot of time to take enough trips for readiness to happen on its own so I want to accomplish it as quickly as I can.

I tried searching the forums but none of my searches yield any results. The other sources I did find via Google seen contradictory. e.g. One recommends keeping the engine on between the city/stop-and-go requirements and the highway requirements, but another recommends turning the engine off for 10 minutes in between. I also see variations in the amount of time required for idle just after a cold start, among other differences, depending on the source.

This one from the Ohio EPA (http://epa.ohio.gov/portals/27/echec...dinessInfo.pdf) is more comprehensive than any others I've found yet and offers:

Newer Honda/Acura owner’s manuals include a drive cycle. The following drive cycle is from a 2009 Honda Accord and 2010 Acura TSX owner’s manual:

1.Make sure the gas tank is nearly, but not completely, full (around 3/4).
2.Make sure the vehicle has been parked with the engine off for 6 hours or more.
3.Make sure the ambient temperature is between 40° and 95°F.
4.Without touching the accelerator pedal, start the engine, and let it idle for 20 seconds.
5.Keep the vehicle in Park (automatic) or neutral (manual). Increase the engine speed to 2,000 rpm, and hold it there until the temperature gauge rises to at least 1/4 of the scale (about 3 minutes).
6.Without touching the accelerator pedal, let the engine idle for 20 seconds.
7.Select a nearby lightly traveled major highway where you can maintain a speed of 50 to 60 mph for at least 20 minutes. Drive on the highway in D (automatic) or 5th (manual). Do not use the cruise control. When traffic allows, drive for 90 seconds without moving the accelerator pedal. (Vehicle speed may vary slightly; this is okay.) If you cannot do this for a continuous 90 seconds because of traffic conditions, drive for at least 30 seconds, then repeat it two more times (for a total of 90 seconds).
8.Then drive in city/suburban traffic for at least 10 minutes. When traffic conditions allow, let the vehicle coast for several seconds without using the accelerator pedal or the brake pedal.
9.Make sure the vehicle has been parked with the engine off for 30 minutes.
Additionally it offers this procedure to check for readiness:

Honda/Acura, from the owner’s manual, to check if the readiness codes are set, turn the ignition switch to the ON (II) position, without starting the engine. The MIL will come on for 20 seconds. If it then goes off, the readiness monitors are set. If it blinks five times, the readiness monitors are not set.
Does this sound about right for Honda vehicles and are there any additional steps required for hybrids?

Thanks!

Old 10-25-2015, 08:04 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: HCH I (2004) drive cycle steps?

Out of curiosity, what is the issue?

Yes, you should reset the codes.

I know of nothing specific to the 2004 or any other HCH. The generic OBD cycle is typically sufficient; however, I find that my Hondas will show DTC ready within about 30-40 miles of my normal driving, which is a 50/50 mix of 45mph surface streets and 65mph freeway. I may no effort to satisfy the OBD cycle steps. This is on G1 Insight and HCH2. I expect the HCH1 is no different.

I've never heard of the CEL flash/go-out indicator of DTC ready. I have a $10 bluetooth OBD reader and Torque Pro ($6) for Android. I can simply connect to the car and read the emissions DTC readiness screen, so I'm a bit spoiled.

Good luck!

Steve

Old 10-26-2015, 01:07 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks, it's related to my post about the failing battery pack https://www.greenhybrid.com/forums/f...-repair-30543/ - after installing a new pack, the mechanic reset the computer (no CEL or IMA light so far after a 15 mile drive!) so now I just need to get driving and tick off those readiness monitors. Cheers!

Old 10-26-2015, 01:13 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Resetting the computer is important to get the BCM to recalibrate the new battery to set its baseline SoC.

I confirmed with other sources that the CEL light trick you mentioned is indeed valid. Tested with my cars as well. After ~20 seconds, the light will go out when DTC ready or will flash if not ready.

Old 10-26-2015, 01:14 PM
Enthusiast

Yep, I just checked on mine, CEL went out after 20 seconds, blinked 5 times, then stayed off. Nice that they included that feature, now I need to get some driving done!

Old 10-27-2015, 07:38 PM
Enthusiast

To wrap this up, I decided to RTFM and on page 211 of the 2004's manual it lists the steps to follow for a complete drive cycle. It's very close to what I found online, differences are in bold:

1.Make sure the gas tank is nearly, but not completely, full (around 3/4).
2.Make sure the vehicle has been parked with the engine off for 8 hours or more.
3.Make sure the ambient temperature is between 20° and 95°F.
4.Without touching the accelerator pedal, start the engine, and let it idle for 20 seconds.
5.Keep the vehicle in Park (automatic) or neutral (manual). Increase the engine speed to 2,000 rpm, and hold it there until the temperature gauge rises to at least 1/4 of the scale (about 3 minutes).
6.Without touching the accelerator pedal, let the engine idle for 20 seconds.
7.Select a nearby lightly traveled major highway where you can maintain a speed of 50 to 60 mph (80 to 97 km/h) for at least 20 minutes. Drive on the highway in D (automatic) or 5th (manual). Do not use the cruise control. When traffic allows, drive for 90 seconds without moving the accelerator pedal. (Vehicle speed may vary slightly; this is okay.) If you cannot do this for a continuous 90 seconds because of traffic conditions, drive for at least 30 seconds, then repeat it two more times (for a total of 90 seconds).
8.Then drive in city/suburban traffic for at least 10 minutes. When traffic conditions allow, let the vehicle coast for several seconds without using the accelerator pedal or the brake pedal.
9. removed
As expected, this worked perfectly the first time, I had readiness after just that first trip.