HCH I-Specific Discussions Model Years 2003–2005

Newbie 03 MT HCH I Check engine light on

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2006, 09:41 AM
Enthusiast
Default Newbie 03 MT HCH I Check engine light on

Hi everyone!

I am overwhelmed by all of the interesting info on this site. I have been reading for 2 hours & only got through less than half of the 27 pages! WOW!
Here's my problem: I have a 2003 Civic Hybrid MAnual transmission. The check engine light has been coming on for about 2 years now. At first the dealer couldn't find anything wrong. Then they replaced the catalytic converter, then I replaced the EGR valve(which greatly improved my mileage & performance), then the light kept coming on, so the system told them to replace the catalytic converter again(they did). Now the light keeps coming on& they can't seem to locate the problem. Last week the computer said there was a misfiring cylinder, but they couldn' t get the light to repeat after resetting it. Then this week the computer said it was a code P0301. So they checked the spark plugs, coils, etc. but could not find anything wrong! They keep telling me that it might be "bad gas", but I never go to the same station all the time and I always use one of the "name brand" stations(Shell, Chevron, BP, Amoco, etc, as opposed to mom & pop stations). I always make sure to hear 3 clicks when I am replacing the gas cap.

Has anyone had similar experiences? I've brought my car in twice this week for that check engine light! I'm sick of this ........ Help!!!

Thanks,

Kim

Old 06-16-2006, 09:56 AM
Eco Accelerometrist
Default Re: Newbie 03 MT HCH I Check engine light on

Did they check the oxigen sensor ? This looks eerly familiar to a past issue of mine.

Regards;

MS

Old 06-16-2006, 11:13 AM
Active Enthusiast

Try the knock sensor.

My other car, a Subaru Forester had a flaky check engine light. Turned out to be the knock sensor. It would intermittently flake out, then start working again..

I have also seen goofy ingition coils and distributor cause such flaky behavior. Somehow I expect the vehicle computer would have a specific error code for such problems. Even for the knock sensor.

A number of things in the vehicle could be causing this though.. but like others are suggesting.. probably a sensor or something in the emissions system.

Maybe try borrowing/buying someone's "Scangauge" and try to observe the error codes for a while? Search google for that device. For the price, one or two $80 'diagnostic' runs at your local garage would pay for one of these devices. I have it on my 'to buy' list.

As I recall..my mechanic said a faulty/intermittent knock sensor can cause weird problems.. such as misfiring, power issues, and such in a vehicle. I had a bit of engine hesitation and less power. Obviously it can hurt your fuel economy.

On a rather different line of thought.. but as we are on the topic of emsisions systems. I read somewhere that changing the PCV valvue evey so often (30k miles?) helps maintain fuel economy. Old valves can get gunked up or jammed. I never changed this on my Subaru.. though I did buy one. I just need to figure out where the heck the sucker is to change it!

My understanding is that excess gasses from the combustion process can be released through the PCV value on the engine block and gets recirculated into the combustion chamber again. In older cars a tube would simply eject uncombusted material/gas.. and was lost.

Anyway.. I diverged from the topic a bit there.

Old 06-16-2006, 11:58 AM
World's First Hybrid

Curlykimba,
Could be something simple like a small vacuum leak in the fuel vapor recovery system. Or the fuel recovery cannister could be damaged (cracked) causing a problem similar to when you don't tighten the gas cap enough. Or a defective gas cap seal. When my wife's accord check engine light comes on, its always the gas cap being loose.
Good luck,

Ralph.

Old 06-18-2006, 06:06 PM
Active Enthusiast

Time to ask for the division service manager to get involved from Honda. If they won't do it, call Honda in Torrance and get them on the case.

Michael

Old 06-19-2006, 11:49 AM
Enthusiast

Hi ,
thanks for replying. Yes, the service mgr got involved without me having to ask! They also gave me a free rental. They are going to replace the car's onboard computer(at their expense)! Thye think it is giving false readings. That's what Honda Tech line told them to do. We'll see.....
thanks,

kim

Old 06-19-2006, 11:52 AM
Enthusiast

Thanks so much for your reply. What is a PCV valve? The dealer said that Honds told them to replace the onboard computer(at their expense). We'llsee if that helps.

Thanks,

Kim

Old 05-16-2011, 06:53 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GaryW
A few months ago, the check engine light came on, so I pulled to the side, threw up the hood, and gasped a sigh of relief to find the engine was still there. My check engine light has been randomly on and off for the past 2 months, twice in the past two days. At first I thought it was a loose gas cap, and got a new locking one, but that didn't solve things.

I took it to an auto repair shop, and used their OBDII reader and got the code P0328, Knock sensor circuit, high input, no faults detected. My CD-Rom repair manual actually calls this a P0325, Knock sensor circuit high input. So I get out my multi tester, and run the tests, and it indicates a poor connection between the knock sensor, and the ECM. I cleaned the contacts, yet the "problem" continues. Does anyone have any suggestions, other that going to the dealer, and spending money on a car that runs great, or pulling the check engine bulb, and practicing my overhand fast ball into the nearest trash can?Thanks in advance.

Old 06-15-2011, 06:48 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by citti2004
A few months ago, the check engine light came on, so I pulled to the side, threw up the hood, and gasped a sigh of relief to find the engine was still there. My check engine light has been randomly on and off for the past 2 months, twice in the past two days. At first I thought it was a loose gas cap, and got a new locking one, but that didn't solve things.

I took it to an auto repair shop, and used their OBDII reader and got the code P0328, Knock sensor circuit, high input, no faults detected. My CD-Rom repair manual actually calls this a P0325, Knock sensor circuit high input. So I get out my multi tester, and run the tests, and it indicates a poor connection between the knock sensor, and the ECM. I cleaned the contacts, yet the "problem" continues. Does anyone have any suggestions, other that going to the dealer, and spending money on a car that runs great, or pulling the check engine bulb, and practicing my overhand fast ball into the nearest trash can?Thanks in advance.
hello, try the following maybe it works
first, turn off your engine, then disconnect the batter terminal, unbolt the engine ground bolt and clean it with a metal brush. then tighten the engine ground bolt, then connect the positive battery terminal. last is eliminate the error code with a scanner.

Last edited by rainandsun; 06-17-2011 at 05:01 PM.