HCH I-Specific Discussions Model Years 2003–2005

Resurrecting a 15 year old, 4 month out of service battery pack!

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2017, 08:15 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Resurrecting a 15 year old, 4 month out of service battery pack!

how much airflow do you put over the pack? 20 degrees difference at 10CFM is alot different than 20 degrees at 100CFM.

The A pack took longer to heat up this time, got it to 175V (both other times only 173 though spread over 120 cells I'm not sure that is a meaningful difference) Its still felt like it had some legs based on the exhaust air temp.

Pack B threw an IMA light pretty early but it went out a couple days later and while sometimes regen is restricted to low level, the assist is pretty good and only stepped back one time I was accelerating pretty hard up through 4th gear to get up to interstate speed. I'm optimistic that with the bad sticks replaced Pack B will be pretty reliable.
I'm also curious to run another load test once I get it out of the car... who knows, maybe the higher current flow environment has awakened the cells which were tanking the load test?

Old 09-23-2017, 10:32 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

In the context of the exercise. You're moving a modest amount of air through the pack.

Old 12-02-2017, 01:21 AM
Active Enthusiast

Well. This is unfortunate.

pack A received testing tonight. It was sitting for a long long time and I was anxious to get it done.

all done testing, I was re assembling and the ratchet slipped and shorted the breaker it appears.

fire, several loud pops before u was able to grab extinguisher and then knock the ratchet off with the styro end cap. Never used an extinguisher before. Didn't expect dust like this.

guess I'll teardown tomorrow and see if anything is salvageable.

I think I'll let him sleep under the stars tonight.

EDIT next day.... what actually caught on fire?
I see things melted but nothing burned

The orange plastic was fuel for combustion? I put it out quick, but not so quick that this is all i should find

one last curiosity is that when I measure the voltage across the short points today I received indication that it was also generating a short even though my voltmeter was definitely set on Volts not amps
​​​ the voltage started high and then dipped low and began to recover, and I swear I felt some warmth also

Last edited by dosmastr; 12-02-2017 at 11:06 AM.
Old 12-09-2017, 04:24 PM
Enthusiast

yikes!