HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

100,000 Mile HI(brid) Club ;)

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2013, 08:33 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: 100,000 Mile HI(brid) Club ;)

Originally Posted by Brad.P
I'm at 166K with my 06' HCH. Spark plugs changed, tranny fluid, burnish treatment, rear wheel bearings, rear cat, O2's, and I reburbished my IMA battery. I am getting average of 44MPG, worst ever was 38.5MPG and best was 51MPG. I need a front cat but I don't want to spend $900 on one. I should probably check valve clearance and change timing belt, W/P, and coolant.
There is no timing belt. Its a chain drive. Unless you have a check engine light, its pretty much maintenance free.

Old 02-28-2014, 08:22 PM
Enthusiast

198, recently refurbished pack.

inner tie rod on passenger side

I did check/adjust the valve clearance at 150k. It was off but not too ridiculous. took a friend and I a couple hours but we were new to it. highly recommend if the engine is starting to sound a bit weird and you want power back.

no mpg from that maintenance.

don't really get why it appears so many had problems with their batteries before 100k... do I do that much highway miles?

Old 03-01-2014, 06:43 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by baltobrewer
2006 HCH II.

Currently at 168,000 miles. Still on original IMA battery, though it's at this point almost completely toast. The IMA light has been on for 17,000 miles. Now it's become a running joke to see how many miles I can squeeze out of it before it crashes and burns completely. When I run the a/c in the car, the battery goes to 2 bars and stays there. Oddly enough, I'm still averaging low 50's in MPG. I drive 95% highway, average about 60 mph, and draft semis like I'm a Nascar stocker. They love that.

So far I've replaced 1 set of tires @ 101K mi, changed the oil and gone through 4 or 5 sets of wiper blades. Inexplicably, I have yet to change the brake pads.

When it's time to retire the IMA (soon, very soon), I will likely use Hybrid ReVolt out of Phoenix AZ. New (not refurbished) pack with 8Ah cells (not the original 6.5Ah cells that came with the car), new controller and 2 yr unlimited mile warranty is $2,095. My mechanic can install it for $100. Done.

I know Honda did not really design this car the way it should have - crappy electronics, bad battery design (no solid sticks, etc.), IMA = "Hybrid Lite", blah blah blah, but this has been overall the most trouble free car I have ever owned. I will happily replace the IMA if I can squeeze it to 300,000 miles or beyond.

Just my .02.
Jay
Just an update. Car just turned 180,000 miles, and I have replaced the IMA battery using Hybrid ReVolt in Phoenix AZ. Matt Edwards (owner) was very patient in answering my many questions (I was obviously hesitant to drop over $2K on a battery over the internetz). I ended up with the new cell pack of 8aH batteries plus controller. Was about $2200 shipped (plus my $500 core deposit). My local mechanic installed the pack for $115. Very very happy. It is for all practical purposes a new car. My mileage in this brutal cold has been in the mid 40's, and I fully expect it to jump into the 50's again when it warms up. The power is also much greater. My core deposit was refunded promptly and I would not hesitate to recommend Matt and his shop to others whose HCH batteries have crashed out.

On another note, I have noticed a cold-engine ticking/clattery sound to the engine before it has fully warmed. Sounds like valvetrain noise, though I am by no means even a shadetree mechanic. Others have mentioned doing a valve adjustment. Could this be the source of the noise? Any insight would be appreciated.

Thx,
Jay

Old 03-02-2014, 06:29 PM
Enthusiast

interesting thread dont let this die i would like to know about users that have more than 200,000 miles on their hchII and make me feel more confident about the realibility of the car, I replaced the ima battery with 43000 miles, the car feels so powerfull now, well well not too much in the start but it is better now, and thenew battery never goes less than 4 SOc bars maybe thats normal cause before it goes down and get 3 bars it start charging with 2 green bars ...

Old 06-19-2014, 01:59 PM
Enthusiast

how did the warranty cover it? what was the miles on your car when you had the cat converter replaced?

Old 04-15-2015, 04:06 AM
Enthusiast

I just passed 150K on my HCHII. I had the battery replaced under a partial warranty through Honda at around 120K. It never threw a code, just a frustrating amount of regenerations. (My local shop is VERY good when it comes to warranty work.) but it was not free, just discounted. They are good otherwise too, but I pay for the rest. I've had the CVT fluid changed a couple times by the dealer, and I'm going to start doing it myself with oil changes. Had the valves adjusted and new plugs at 100K. New tires at 70K and 140K. New front brakes at 120K (I live in a very hilly area with lots of hard braking in traffic.). We have a lot of construction and pot holes in my area and I expect to need to replace some bushing and such at around 200K. My and my wife love this car. By far the best vehicle purchase we have ever made.

Last edited by abramj; 04-15-2015 at 04:08 AM. Reason: clarification on warranty cost
Old 04-15-2015, 11:48 PM
Enthusiast

I've got 164,000 miles on my HCHII - has anyone changed out their PVC valve? My civic has been great, its been slowly burning up extra oil (6 oz) every 8,000 mile oil change.

Old 04-16-2015, 08:17 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

We have an '06 at > 212K miles. The biggest issue it has is oil burning and a likely fouled cat as a result. We consume about a quart in 3-4k miles. I think I should check my PCV system as well. It was bought with the IMA light on and came with a spare salvage yard pack. We replaced the bad pack with a good used one, and it works great.

Our other '06 is at about 140k miles. It needs motor mounts, and I've been struggling to find the magic criteria to determine good sticks. My first effort of mixing and matching the best sticks worked great for a couple months, but now I'm getting 1-2 recals/day. Accelerated self-discharge of 1-2 cells in a stick seems to be the biggest killer.

Old 04-16-2015, 09:01 AM
Enthusiast

Maybe I should check my oil. I change when it tells me, and that is usually around 8-10K miles. I don't even pull the dipstick when I change the oil. And have never checked it between oil changes. I just notice the oil looks good when it comes out, and figure all is well.

Using a quart in 3-4k miles is worse than my old Jeep Cherokee with a leaky main bearing seal. You sure you don't have a hole in the block?

Old 04-16-2015, 12:00 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Due to the age and I suspect it's past life in Minnesota, there are no underbody panels on this car. There is no evidence of oil contamination on the bottom of the engine, and it doesn't leave any spots.

Realistically, it's probably a little less than the quoted. As i think about it, I try to shoot for the middle of the range. It will drop to at or just below the bottom of the range after about 3-4K miles. I try to check it every few gas fill-ups - once a month or so.

The previous owner let it get so low, it started developing oil pressure problems that caused the car to act like it had a rev limiter at 3K rpm. I was relieved that was the issue... a couple qts of oil on the drive home, and it was great!

Steve

Last edited by S Keith; 04-16-2015 at 12:02 PM.

Quick Reply: 100,000 Mile HI(brid) Club ;)

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands