HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Balance and Alignment

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 07:47 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Balance and Alignment

I just got a B1 service at the local dealer. They suggested getting a balance and alignment every 15,000 miles. I declined since my feeling is that these are things that get adjusted on an as-needed basis.

Is that correct? Or should it be done at regular intervals?

Old 05-29-2008, 09:05 AM
Eco Accelerometrist
Default Re: Balance and Alignment

I would tend to agree when talking about most cars.

However, when it comes to cars like the HCH-II and the Prius (which I regard as pure exercises in "optimal minimums") small things matter a whole lot and it does not take much to upset the fine balance that makes them work well.

From my perspective, the LRR tires in these cars tend to wear faster than regular tires and it is important to ensure that even the slightest of mis-alignments does not accelerate their wear and aging. I believe that kind of preventive maintenance is cheaper in the long run and if done correctly is always money well spent.
Also, it helps to think of an alignment in terms of FE benefits as well.

Cheers;

MSantos

Old 05-29-2008, 11:48 AM
Wo ai Zheng!

If available in your area, I am a big fan of maintenance packages over time. The NTB down the street from me offers an alignment program where you pay a little more up front, but then you can bring your car in any time for the next one, three, or five years at no cost. Needless to say, I'm in there every spring, and any time things just feel a little off.

Old 05-29-2008, 01:16 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I agree ,alignment is critical to these cars, but Honda sends them out with camber problem on the rear suspension. If it is so important , why do they let something like this go, from the factory. Have any of you had this problem aligned. I have not noticed any wear as I don't get enough miles on it to show,with rotation and then winter tires.H

Old 05-31-2008, 05:25 AM
Active Enthusiast

I would agree with the alignment. I purchased the NTB 5 yr warranty allignment when I got my 03 civic about 3 years ago. Needless to say, it's more than paid for itself already because anytime it seemed out, I took it in. Plus, on the 5 yr you get to transfer it to another car 1 time, so it's been moved to my HCH and now gotten an alignment done on it. I had to ask for the printout though, which is kind of disappointing but I got it. I would definitely recommend checking for an NTB (or any of the other 2 places that they work with now) and get the 5 yr warranty. I used to take my car in before long trip, just to ensure it was OK.

Old 06-01-2008, 03:37 PM
Wo ai Zheng!

NTB's program isn't really a warranty, though. You can bring it in and they'll tune it up for you, but if a part needs replacing (a tie rod, for instance), you still have to buy it and pay for installation labor.

Old 06-01-2008, 10:55 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Soybean
I just got a B1 service at the local dealer. They suggested getting a balance and alignment every 15,000 miles. I declined since my feeling is that these are things that get adjusted on an as-needed basis.
I agree. You would be checking your tires periodically any ways. My car has over 9,300 miles on it and has had perfect alignment since day one.

You can expect dealerships to make unnecessary maintenance suggestions. They still get tripped up by the maintenance minder, making service suggestions that aren't applicable to your car.