HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Bike in trunk of HCH II?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2006, 10:14 AM
Enthusiast
Default Bike in trunk of HCH II?

I'm currently considering purchasing an HCH II. I'm a cyclist and was wondering if anyone knew if a standard road bike (with the wheels removed) would fit in the trunk of an HCH. I'd rather not get a roof rack or a trunk-mounted rack. Thanks in advance.

Old 10-12-2006, 10:46 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Bike in trunk of HCH II?

I too am an avid cyclist, and I can tell you the bike will not fit in the trunk unless you either:

A. are less than 5 feet, tall, with a frame to match your stature,

or

B. Are wliling to lower your seatpost all the way and remove both wheels every time you put it in.

Being 6 feet plus, and having a carbon fiber seatpost makes the continuous chore of raising and lowering the seatpost not aceptable in my book. I too will not put a roof rack on the car, so I have resorted to removing both wheels, and putting the bike in the back seat. Of course I place a towel or blanket on the seat, making sure I wrap the chain and derailluers up to prevent grease from getting on the interior. The wheels will then fit in the back seat, or the trunk.

It works, but it is still a bit of a pain. I am considering putting a receiver hitch and using my Saris receiver hitch rack, as it seems to offer the least amount of wind resistance, but I am concerned about what the presence of a hitch might do to the warrantee. I don't want to be accused of towing something and void my drivetrain warrantee.

Hope this helps.

Old 10-12-2006, 11:01 AM
Enthusiast

BTW- Other than than the issues with hauling the bike, I love the car, and do not regret purchasing it!

Old 10-12-2006, 11:05 AM
Enthusiast

Thanks for the info. You saved me a trip to the Honda dealer with my bike and a blanket. I ride a 58 cm frame so the wheel and seatpost removal sounds like the only option. I may have to switch to a non-carbon seatpost for easier removal without scratching (or at least caring about scratches). Unfortunately, I was looking to keep the bike concealed for lunchtime or after work rides so a hitch-mount isn't really an option. I also need to keep the rear seat clear for picking up my 2 kids from daycare or school.

Old 10-12-2006, 11:30 AM
Enjoying my hybrid

From this post, it looks doable...

https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...ght=bike+trunk

Old 10-12-2006, 11:39 AM
Enthusiast

I know it is doable. I have the rack, and found the hitch on line for $100. I will probably do it next spring. I may just take the hitch off the car when in goes in for service, just in case...... .

I figured for winter, I want to keep my bike inside out of the elements. Yes I am one of those crazies who will ride as long as the temp is above 20 degrees, and the roads are bare!

Old 10-12-2006, 12:48 PM
Eco Accelerometrist

Actually, this is something I've been very interested in.

Tomorrow, I'll be getting my winter weels on at the dealership and I'll ask them what their policies (thoughts) are concerning hitch based bike racks.

If they give me an affirmative answer, I will install the darn thing immediately.

Cheers;

MSantos

Old 10-13-2006, 07:57 AM
Enthusiast

Great! let us know what they say!

Are putting the Steel wheels from the DX on for winter?

I found them online with covers for around $240. I was thinking of doing that in the next couplke of weeks.....

Old 10-14-2006, 01:52 PM
Eco Accelerometrist

Originally Posted by gadgetguy
Great! let us know what they say!

Are putting the Steel wheels from the DX on for winter?

I found them online with covers for around $240. I was thinking of doing that in the next couplke of weeks.....
Yep, they're the DX wheels.

Here's a link to a previous post that I just updated.

In total it cost ~$1000 (CND) (~750-800 US $) which also includes taxes. Because they're Michelins I also get an $80 mail-in rebate from the manufacturer. Now my original aluminum rims and tires are bagged and safe inside the house ready to come out and play next spring.

Cheers;

MSantos

Old 10-14-2006, 02:22 PM
Active Enthusiast

Did you happen to inquire about adding a hitch to your HCHII? I don't think the dealer offers one. More importantly though, would the installation of a hitch cause any concerns?

Quick Reply: Bike in trunk of HCH II?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands