HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Do you find cruise control dificult to set?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2006, 10:50 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Do you find cruise control dificult to set?

Maybe I'm spoiled by my BMW's excellent CC, but I find my HCHII's CC annoying to set initially.

I believe I read in the owner's manual that tapping the Accelerate or Decelerate button once, will change your setting by exactly one mph. I find this to be false.

It seems I have to hold the button until the speedometer reaches the desired speed, at which point it will shoot past by a mph. Sometimes it settles back a mph, but sometimes not. I have also witnessed the "hold" on a mph lost by one. And then I have to correct it.

Think there is anything wrong with it?

Old 10-03-2006, 10:53 AM
Wo ai Zheng!
Default Re: Do you find cruise control dificult to set?

I think it's just our little engines and CVT transmission not being very good at compensating for changing conditions efficiently. Case in point: On my daily drive, there's a small segment that has a number of smallish hills in quick succession. With CC enabled, I tend to swing by as much as 10mph, while with my foot, I can keep the deviation to 0.

Old 10-03-2006, 11:35 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by noflash
I believe I read in the owner's manual that tapping the Accelerate or Decelerate button once, will change your setting by exactly one mph. I find this to be false.
I didn't check the manual, but I think it states that the setting will change by APPROXIMATELY 1 MPH. My Garmin Nav, which I find highly accurate in many ways, displays speed to one decimal place. I find that if I am cruising with little to no grade, say at a relatively consistant (Garmin displayed) 56.2-56.3 MPH, and I hit decel once, the speed will settle at about 55.5-55.6. All the while my vehicle is displaying 55MPH. I hope that all made sense...

I think that the cruise is fine assuming that there is little to no grade... The little 1.3L engine struggles to maintain speed going up any significant grade. I actually do not have any significant complaints about the cruise, and I use it for at least 10-30 minutes daily. I suppose it has it's (slight) quirks, but I have gotten accustomed to them...

Old 10-03-2006, 01:08 PM
Enthusiast

It's hard to believe you'd be spoiled by a BMW, but I do hear they have very nice waiting rooms while your vehicle is being repaired.

But yes mine does the same thing.

Old 10-03-2006, 01:13 PM
Active Enthusiast

I did some testing of this over the past weekend as I made some fairly long freeway journeys. I found that the "one-tap" method of increasing/decreasing speed does indeed change my speed by 1mph about 90% of the time. Granted, it takes a moment to take effect.

Old 10-03-2006, 01:26 PM

Mine also performs well... with 1 mph changes per button push, and little or no variance in regular driving.

Old 10-03-2006, 01:32 PM
Enthusiast

Mine seems to work good as well. I can accel or decel about 1 mph with each button push. I have pretty much made a mental note to set it on a somewhat level terrain, and I cancel it as I encounter a steep hill to drive manual for a while. There are two freeway areas I do this on both ways to work. If you don't do it, the darn cruise control basically "floors" the accellerator and your FE goes down the tubes.

Old 10-03-2006, 01:33 PM

About the speed increase not being instantaneous:

Besides the small engine/motor this may be by design.

This IS a hybrid afterall, and the more gradually it changes speed the better the MPG.

Old 10-03-2006, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by Hwy10Civic
It's hard to believe you'd be spoiled by a BMW, but I do hear they have very nice waiting rooms while your vehicle is being repaired.

But yes mine does the same thing.
Nah, they give us loaner bimmers. Fortunately, I only have to get my oil changed every 15k miles...

I'm sure the HCHII will "teach me" how it likes it's CC set. Hopefully it won't take too long to get accustomed to.

Lately, I have just been leaving it where it wants to be. This morning I drove to work at 63mph.

Old 10-05-2006, 12:27 PM
Owner of '06 HCH #7264

I did not grow up with a silver spoon in my mouth , so I find the speed control very easy to set.
I think the one thing I would note however is that I accelerate to the speed I want to set the CC to, by using my accelerator peddle, then I press set and let off the accelerator. I
seldomly use the accelerate / decclerate button, which seems to be what your doing and noting the difficulty

Quick Reply: Do you find cruise control dificult to set?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands