HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Fuel tank warranty extension

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 09:16 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Fuel tank warranty extension

Al, thanks

Even though it looks like there is a seal/o-ring at the joint, the entire tank and filler neck are one unit and everything has to be replaced. There is no repair.
OK, understood. Any torque applied between the filler neck and the point where the tank is attached to the frame has no place to dissipate......I wonder what case was made by the engineer for Honda to accept the risk inherent with that technique/design.

Thanks again

Mike

Old 11-13-2018, 01:53 AM
ptb
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by hchiiluv
I received a notice from Honda the other day about increasing the warranty on the fuel tank (cracking/leak) of my HCHII to 10years and/or 120k miles....Has anyone else received this....

This seems to me that it should be a recall....I will hit the mileage way before the 10 year mark....I currently have 90k and am only 37 months old.

I have to wait till I smell fuel or see a drip....I do not think so

What do you all think about this

Brian

Can you tell me the Service Bulletin NUMBER for the FUEL TANK WARRANTY EXTENSION?

I took my 07 HCH into the dealer to check the IMA battery under warranty for another 45 days and he came back with "FUEL TANK IS LEAKING & SHOULD BE REPLACED IMMEDIATELY --THIS IS A SAFETY CONCERN (CUSTOMER DECLINED REPAIRS EVEN THOUGH CAR IS NOT CONSIDERED SAFE TO DRIVE).

I read an article that states "Honda says it is confident the leaks do not pose a safety risk, according to the Times. (that's why this isn't considered a safety recall).

Service Bulletin Number ,please ????

Old 11-13-2018, 04:27 PM
ptb
Enthusiast

ok, I don't need the Service Bulletin Number as the warranty was confirmed as 15yr/150k and the Fuel Tank was replaced under WARRANTY!

Old 01-21-2020, 11:26 PM
Enthusiast

Hi all,

I just started having this issue with the fuel tank leak. I have a 2009 Honda Civic Hybrid, just over 10 years old and about 70,000 miles. My mechanic told me the fuel tank will need to be fully replaced. I found several articles about the 2006-2011 extended warranty for this issue, but I cannot for the life of me find a copy of the announcement or the TSB number. Can anyone advise, and know if I would qualify (car is just over 10 years, but only 70,000 miles), and can you please point me to the TSB?

Many thanks!

Old 01-22-2020, 10:51 AM
ptb
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by aklez
Hi all,

I just started having this issue with the fuel tank leak. I have a 2009 Honda Civic Hybrid, just over 10 years old and about 70,000 miles. My mechanic told me the fuel tank will need to be fully replaced. I found several articles about the 2006-2011 extended warranty for this issue, but I cannot for the life of me find a copy of the announcement or the TSB number. Can anyone advise, and know if I would qualify (car is just over 10 years, but only 70,000 miles), and can you please point me to the TSB?

Many thanks!
just bring car to the dealer with the news article
that’s what I did and they can look it up

Last edited by ptb; 01-22-2020 at 11:00 AM.
Old 01-22-2020, 11:30 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

"just over 10 years old" = probably older than 10 years by more than "just over". More likely your car was made in late 2008 or early 2009 putting it over a year outside of the 10 year warranty.

Doesn't hurt to ask. I've seen articles that claim that California Civics have a 15 year/150K mile warranty on them already (I question this accuracy). Warranty is based on state of origin, not state of residence, i.e., if your car was sold new in CA, it has the CA warranty.

You could also subscribe to Honda's SIS and get access to all their service information ($20 for 1 day):

https://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/logon.aspx

Old 01-22-2020, 07:42 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks for the helpful responses. I appreciate it.

I talked to Honda and they asked me if I could provide the technical service bulletin number for the fuel tank issue, so if anyone does have that, that would be great (I can only find articles).

Regarding the California 15 yr/150K warranty, this seems to be true (https://owners.honda.com/Documentum/...t/APL39985.pdf)

But you say--"Warranty is based on state of origin, not state of residence, i.e., if your car was sold new in CA, it has the CA warranty". According to what I've found, it looks to me like it's based on state of residence. Where do you see that it is based on state of origin? Any resources about this you could point me to would be much appreciated.

Thanks again.

Old 01-22-2020, 07:58 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

The document you linked essentially states it. PZEV is a rating.

"Refer to the under-hood tune-up label to see if your vehicle has PZEV emissions certification"

PZEV rating is a STATE awarded certification when the car is introduced for new sale into the PZEV market. They are not issued or sold outside of PZEV markets.

I can tell you that Toyota has honored MULTIPLE hybrid battery warranties on CA purchased cars operating in AZ. AZ does not recognize PZEV, and all AZ sold Toyota hybrid batteries have the 8yr/100K mile warranty vs. CA 10yr/150K. I have been involved in transactions where Toyota is reimbursing the hybrid owner for past replacement. One particular Prius was both a salvage title and a PZEV car registered in AZ. An AZ dealer told him that he didn't have the CA warranty because he wasn't in CA, and even if he was, the battery isn't under warranty because it's a salvage title. Toyota reimbursed him over a year later and contacted me to confirm the pricing on the transaction. After that experience, I ask all potential customers that might be in the CA warranty coverage if their car was purchased in CA.

Also, it turns out that you can't nullify either federal or state mandated EMISSION system warranties due to a salvage title provided the car is properly restored.

So, if your car is PZEV rated, it has the PZEV warranty.

If you buy a non-PZEV rated car and move to CA, you don't get the PZEV rating awarded to you even if the car would have qualified in CA. It was not PZEV rated at the time of sale, so it never will be. When you move out of CA, you don't lose the rating.

The PZEV warranty is imposed on the MANUFACTURER, i.e., "if you want the PZEV rating, you have to provide this warranty." Doesn't matter if you're not in CA.

Old 01-23-2020, 08:19 PM
ptb
Enthusiast

I know this is alittle off subject, but you should also have the Dealer check your IMA battery before that Warranty expires.
Here are some notes I found on my 2007 and the IMA battery.
Dealer can run a check on the IMA percentage

Please refer to Honda Service Bulletin 12-077
Extended Warranty is 11years/162,000 miles
I went to the Honda Dealer and he Selected California and entered my VIN
They would NOT replace the IMA at 28%

Old 01-23-2020, 08:32 PM
Enthusiast

Thank you for your time and help. I'm very grateful! Apologies, if I'm missing something, but looking at the link it sent, it says:

"PZEV warranty coverage applies to all vehicles with PZEV emissions certification that are registered and normally operated in California, Connecticut, Massachusetts, Maine, New Jersey, New York, Rhode Island, and Vermont."

Also, in this article "Partial zero-emission vehicles, including most hybrids and a few non-hybrid vehicles, warrant those parts for 15 years or 150,000 miles.States where this PZEV warranty is honored currently include California, Connecticut, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, Rhode Island, and Vermont."

The articles and warranty information I see all seem to imply that the PZEV warranty will only be honored if I am in a PZEV state. Can you point me to anything that shows what you are saying about it being based on origin? Thanks again!

Quick Reply: Fuel tank warranty extension

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands