HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

gas guzzling hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2006, 11:57 AM
Enthusiast
Angry gas guzzling hybrid

I have an 06 HCH, and have about 5000 miles on it. I have been on this site a few times and read the many articles about hypermilling. I have been trying these different techniques everyday and have gotten pretty good at it. However, I still have pretty poor fuel consumption for a hybrid, IMO. I am at half tank right now at 150 miles!!!. I am not sure what is going on. Could there be a problem with the engine? I do not run the air-conditioning, I run the the air at about 70, and sometimes go to 80-85. I coast as much as possible, and brake only when I have to. The roads in my area are pretty flat, some hills, but none are steep. I drive city and highway but more city driving. My average fuel consumption on my computer says about 39.7. This is a great improvement on the 31 mpg was was getting earlier, when I first bought the car. However, I will sometimes get close to 41. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by globalwarming; 12-09-2006 at 12:04 PM.
Old 12-09-2006, 01:43 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: gas guzzling hybrid

I think you are driving with your air conditioner on and don't know it because of the design of the climate control system.

I never use mine in "automatic" for that reason.

Also if the temp dial is set fully CCW or Lo and you just turn the fan on the AC comes on automatically.
I hate that.
You have to actually then hit the AC button to turn the AC off and just get outside air.
You must ensure that the display actually says, "AC OFF".

IF you are going over 80 slow down to 60 for just one tank and see what happens.
It will be torture at first but I think if you can do it you will be astonished how much your MPG goes up.

Old 12-09-2006, 01:57 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kenny
I think you are driving with your air conditioner on and don't know it because of the design of the climate control system.

I never use mine in "automatic" for that reason.

Also if the temp dial is set fully CCW or Lo and you just turn the fan on the AC comes on automatically.
I hate that.
You have to actually then hit the AC button to turn the AC off and just get outside air.
You must ensure that the display actually says, "AC OFF".

IF you are going over 80 slow down to 60 for just one tank and see what happens.
It will be torture at first but I think if you can do it you will be astonished how much your MPG goes up.

I always make sure that my air conditioning is off, and 80 is temp that it is usually running, sometimes i will go down to 70 degrees. I never go over the speed limit, but when I do I use the extra speed to glide and go into ice mode. Any other suggesitons?

Old 12-09-2006, 02:30 PM
Eco Accelerometrist

What is you tire pressure, anyway?

Better yet...

Have you read Tarabell's article ?

If not, please give it a read. I bet you'll find in it the reason for your low milleage

Cheers;

MSantos

Old 12-09-2006, 02:53 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by msantos
What is you tire pressure, anyway?

Better yet...

Have you read Tarabell's article ?

If not, please give it a read. I bet you'll find in it the reason for your low milleage

Cheers;

MSantos

I currently have my tires set at 36 psi. I have been having trouble with my front right tire keeping tire pressure, I had the dealership look at it, and they said that they fixed the valve. However, my steering is off, and I have to hold it to the left to keep the car straight, but how does this have a big effect on FE??

Old 12-09-2006, 05:40 PM
Eco Accelerometrist

The lower the tire pressure, the greater the friction between the tire and the road surface. The greater the friction, the more power the vehicle has to expend to move. It is that simple. Additionally lower tire pressures lead to an increase in heat and at the extremes may even cause a blowout or poor handling leading to an accident.

If you wish to attain greater fuel efficiency then you must raise your tire pressure. Most HCH-2 owners will opt for a scheme whereby the front tires are inflated to 42psi and the rear to 40. These are very good and safe settings that deliver great results for most folks.
Some will inflate them to 44psi and beyond (hopefully not too far up) in the porsuit of greater Fuel economy. It is up to you.

With these cars it is extremely important to maintain a constant pressure between all tires. If one of the tires loses pressure at a faster rate then it pays to have the issue address ASAP. If not addressed this could cause instrumentation and sensor reading issues that can ripple through the system as malfunctions. Please read though these forums and you'll find a good set of examples.

Cheers;

MSantos

Old 12-09-2006, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by globalwarming
I currently have my tires set at 36 psi. I have been having trouble with my front right tire keeping tire pressure, I had the dealership look at it, and they said that they fixed the valve. However, my steering is off, and I have to hold it to the left to keep the car straight, but how does this have a big effect on FE??
I think you need to get that steering problem fixed, put all your tires at 40 psi, drive 60mph, and give it another try.

Old 12-09-2006, 10:21 PM
Active Enthusiast

Seems like you have an alignment problem if it's pulling to one side like that. I thought an earlier thread mentioned his mpg got alot better once the alignment is fixed.

Old 12-09-2006, 10:27 PM

If it is pulling to the right then you definitely have a problem. And it is definitely doing harm to your FE. Get that fixed. Maybe a brake is sticking, or maybe the alignment is off. Definitely take it to the shop. It should still be under warranty.

Old 12-10-2006, 10:10 PM

Biggest issue in my opinion is the speed. You need to try that 60 mph test for a tank. I see a big difference just slowing to 57 from 65. Kenny is the resident expert in speed vs. mpg. He goes 53 and does absolutely nothing else to improve mileage... and gets 63+!!! 53 is too slow for me, but it gives you a good idea of how to improve your MPG!

Quick Reply: gas guzzling hybrid

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands