HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Hot weather blues!

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2006, 10:21 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Hot weather blues!

It's been nasty-hot here this weekend (107 degrees) in Anaheim, CA. My HCHII isn't happy in hot weather! My battery went down to two bars and won't charge. MPG has dropped below 50 on a tank which was over 52 on Friday (250 miles on the tank so far). That's a huge drop for me.

This only happens for a few days a year here... but I wonder about the performance of this car in REALLY hot climates... Palm Springs, Las Vegas, Phoenix, Tucson, etc. I can't imagine this is an ideal car for those cities.

I guess the MPG is still better than most cars... and it would be low for only four or five months a year, so that helps... but I wonder about the long term battery life in those hot climates!

Old 07-23-2006, 10:59 PM
Wannabe Hypermiler
Default Re: Hot weather blues!

Jeff- I know what you mean it was almost as hot down here in Irvine. As has been mentioned repeatedly on GH and other hybrid forums, be sure to do all you can to keep your battery pack (hence, your car) cool. Frequent exposure to high temperatures appears to take its toll on the life span of your battery. The tinting you mentioned previously is a good start. You may want to take it a step further and keeping your windows cracked open while parked and parking in the shade/parking garage whenever possible.

https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...ture.6996.html

https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...heat.8190.html

http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1022

Old 07-24-2006, 06:58 AM
Eco Accelerometrist

Jeff, as Eskrimast1 stated, keeping the windows cracked open may help keep the IMA battery and power control module cooler. The power control module will be operating in a very limited fashion to protect the batteries as well as itself. This is clearly mentioned in the 2006 HCH Service Manual.

My solution was to purchase one solar powered window vent. Basically you simply hook this device on the driver's window, roll the window up until it closes, and it will promote airflow between the cabin and the outside of the vehicle. This thing works so well, that I am going to purchase one more for those moments when the vehicle is at a beech in a blistering hot day.

Here's an example of a device similar to what I have.

Cheers;

MSantos

Old 07-24-2006, 01:57 PM
Active Enthusiast

hey msantos...how well does that fan work??

The only downfall of keeping your windows cracked open, is getting bugs in your car. And the constant fear of "is it gonna rain?" but prob worth it if its gonna keep the battery running longer.

Old 07-24-2006, 03:51 PM
Eco Accelerometrist

Vince, the fan works OK and I really notice the difference - especially on hot sunny days. Some people may actaully not like them becuase depending on the model they may be a little bit of a hassle to mount on the window. Also, some models have pretty weak photovoltaic cells and the fan will not spin unless its hit by direct sun light.

The key is to avoid the cheaper units, and it should work OK even on cloudy days. Mine will not allow bugs or rain in when mounted properly.

MSantos

Old 07-24-2006, 04:41 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

MSantos... thanks for the info. I'll try the tinting first, then investigate the fan. I've seen these things for boat hatches before and wondered if they work.

BTW... does it REALLY get hot enough in Canada to need this thing?!!!

Old 07-24-2006, 06:15 PM
Eco Accelerometrist

Originally Posted by Anahymbrid
MSantos... thanks for the info. I'll try the tinting first, then investigate the fan. I've seen these things for boat hatches before and wondered if they work.

BTW... does it REALLY get hot enough in Canada to need this thing?!!!
Yep, the summers can be scorchers in central Canada- You know, the prairie summers.

NOTE: The fan does not work with tinted windows !!

Old 07-24-2006, 07:09 PM
Efficiency Nut
Default window deflectors

I live south of Houston, HEAT plus RAIN. I bought some of those window deflectors that cover a bit of the top inch and one half of the window, I thought I wouls hate them; but they are the best thing I bought! I can leave the windows down a couple inches, and rain won't come in. The car is WAY cooler- maybe 20 degrees! We have millions of mosquitoes- and they haven't come in like I expected. I didn't get the back window ones, but I will soon, since the battey is in back. ALSO, at any temp below 85 (as in most mornings) I can drive on the highway with no AC, windows all or partly down, and the deflectors make the interior much less gusty.
On top of all else, they look GOOD, and keep some sun out. I got the weathertech tinted ones, they mount securely without tape. Downside is; at the end of a hot day with windows down a bit, the plastic expands enough that the windows wont quite close without binding. As things cool with AC, they close.
Peter

Old 07-24-2006, 09:38 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: window deflectors

[QUOTE=drpeter].... I bought some of those window deflectors that cover a bit of the top inch and one half of the window, ...

Peter, where did you buy them? What is the brand name? Do fit well on the window? Any chance you could post some pics??
Thanks.

Old 07-25-2006, 04:04 AM
Efficiency Nut
Default Re: window deflectors

Try: http://www.weathertech.com and enter your vehicle. Fit is perfect. I also got their floormats, which are superb, but front and back together weigh 18 pounds! I nearly had to throw out the spare tire to save weight! Peter

Quick Reply: Hot weather blues!

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands