HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

New DC to DC converter needs reprogramming?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2017, 10:59 AM
Enthusiast
Question New DC to DC converter needs reprogramming?

Hello everybody,
Nice piece of forum you've got here, congratulations and thanks!

I would have a question, slightly urgent to me..

Tomorrow I have an appointment to pair/reprogram a newly replaced DC-DC converter in my wife's HCH gen 2 IMA system.

The only problem is that I cannot trust much any more anything related to Honda (factory&dealership alike). I have been through the full story as well, diagnose, poor driving experience, back to the workshop, all okay & go away, go back, changed one hybrid battery pack already aso..
Thing is that instead of fixing the issue under warranty, last time Honda dealership issued a cost estimation of over 1600€ for replacing the DC-DC converter, apparently not covered by the factory. I have found a second hand one (functional) and mounted it myself, but the car drives the same way: no IMA assistance once the hybrid battery shows half full, only regeneration and thirst for some juice. Full to half all is normal, but when the indicator shows half full, the battery seems empty, no output whatsoever.
Dealership says the DC-DC converter would need to be synchronised with the main computer, is this true? I would try to avoid more costs on this vehicle, unnecessarily.

Thank you very much in advance.
Greetings,
Alin

Vehicle: HONDA CIVIC 1.3i-DSi IMA Elegance HYBRID
MY 2009
DC-DC converter part # 1C800-RMX-0130

Last edited by alinutz; 07-10-2017 at 11:03 AM.
Old 07-10-2017, 03:27 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: New DC to DC converter needs reprogramming?

have you disconnected the 12V for 2 minutes and reconnected?

What are the error codes?

Old 07-10-2017, 10:34 PM
Enthusiast

Hello Keith,
Thank you for your prompt reply!
I have replaced the DC2DC with the 12V baterry disconnected. And I disconnected it again after a drive test, in order to check and tighten the screws and put back the seats.
I won't be able to tell you the error codes, but I will ask today at the dealership, I was only given a big fat invoice with a part.
The car drives exactly like the one in the youtube movie below:
https://youtu.be/ZbvgktZafSU
This looks to me like a dying baterry, also tricked soft wise, never empty btw. ..and rarely helping.

Any other ideas?

Have a good day,
Alin

Old 07-10-2017, 11:13 PM

That video shows behavior indicative of a weak or failing HV battery.

I don't know what "tricked soft wise" means.

Old 07-11-2017, 02:41 AM
Enthusiast

Hi Keith,
I kept reading that Honda has issued software update attempting to hide failing HV battery packs, protect those form getting completely flat aso. all of those in spite of the driving experience, fuel consumption and performance. I thought that it might be a sign of such a software update on the top of the weak HV batteries.
Do you know the error codes proving what we suspect?
Thank you again.
KR,
Alin

Old 07-11-2017, 06:32 AM

I've made several posts about the patch. What you stated is a false rumor. They issued a patch to improve battery management, and they did a good job in that regard. A side effect is that an imbalanced battery hits the recalibration limits earlier, so you tend to get a ton of recals prior to failure. They should have done a better job in that area.

You absolutely, positively want to have the patch.

P0A7F is a failing battery, but you're not going to see that without IMA or CEL illumination unless it's pending.

Old 07-11-2017, 09:22 AM
Enthusiast

Dear Keith,
Thanks again. All software was up to date, 2 updates/patches already installed, no error code thrown by the system. Test drive & they'll report to Honda. The issue seems to be IMA batteries related. If this is the reason again, it would be the battery pack #3 in less than 109tkm. The last ones, apparently a newer type, lasted only about two years..
Sorry for the unintentional false rumors, I wrote it labelled as such, "I read", "I thought" etc.
Maybe the dealership did not apply the needed patch from the very beginning when replacing the batteries, I don't know what to think any more.
I fear somehow having additional issues with the vehicle, based on the experience so far.. A pity, otherwise a pleasant car & well made.
I'll come back with some updates when having news from Honda, but it will take some time, I can guarantee that.
Have a nice day!
A

Old 07-11-2017, 09:30 AM

09-11 HCH2 batteries are the worst hybrid battery ever made. While not common, I am not surprised you're on your 3rd battery.

It is not known for certain if Honda replacement packs are new or if they are refurbished.

The check engine light/IMA light and the associated codes will tell you what's wrong.

Where do you live?

The codes will tell you the issues.

Old 07-11-2017, 01:46 PM
Enthusiast

Hi again Keith,
I have a CA3 IMA battery pack. I do not know which one it is, perhaps just the one you mention..
Will see what will they come up with this time!?!
I will try to put an obd on, I do not know if any good..
there was no error code on the car when I saw rthe dealer's computer hooked on it today.. everything was just perfect. )
I am located in Europe, things are a little slower here maybe when it comes to Japanese cars, they are not as strong as accessible as in the US, they have never put themselves to it, to invest and make business properly.
You were very helpful, I really appreciate this!
cheers,
A

Originally Posted by S Keith
09-11 HCH2 batteries are the worst hybrid battery ever made. While not common, I am not surprised you're on your 3rd battery.

It is not known for certain if Honda replacement packs are new or if they are refurbished.

The check engine light/IMA light and the associated codes will tell you what's wrong.

Where do you live?

The codes will tell you the issues.