HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

New owner, should I get the software update?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 12:07 PM
Enthusiast
Default New owner, should I get the software update?

I just picked up an 09 HCH-II with 38k miles. This is primarily the everyday car since the other one is an 09 Pilot.

From what I can tell, everything seems fine and I'm getting 43-44 MPG (it's still cold here in NH) on mostly country trips ferrying kids around to school.

I've figured out the EV-Glide steps etc and have noticed what I think may have been a recalibration once or twice and it seems to want to do a forced recharge around 4 bars, but then it seems to quickly find its way back up to 7-8 bars.

I haven't done a reset yet since I wanted to get a baseline on how it works first.

I've read most of the threads on the software updates both here and on other forums. From what I can tell most people didn't like the 2009 update, but that the one from 2010 is better. I have what appear to be all the service records and it doesn't look like any updates have been applied since the vehicle was sold new in 4/09.

So, can I easily tell what software I have and if it's older, should I go forward and try to get it upgraded, or just soldier on knowing I have another 40k on the warranty (and EasyCare extended to 100k)?

Old 03-31-2011, 09:17 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Arrow Re: New owner, should I get the software update?

There are already several threads on this topic – here's the most comprehensive one. I doubt that much new can be added on the subject.

Old 04-04-2011, 03:35 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: New owner, should I get the software update?

Well, even after digesting everything in there, it still seems a little unclear if I should get an update. I also noticed that it seemed like this recall/tsb only applied to 06-08's? Shrug.

Everything about the car right now seems to be working fine and I don't intend to beat on the battery so I'm leaning towards leaving it alone.

Old 04-04-2011, 06:19 PM
Über Lord of Hypermillia

Check with your dealer to see what updates are outstanding on your car and go from there.

Old 04-05-2011, 11:32 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Arrow Re: New owner, should I get the software update?

Originally Posted by brianf
Well, even after digesting everything in there, it still seems a little unclear if I should get an update. I also noticed that it seemed like this recall/tsb only applied to 06-08's? Shrug.

Everything about the car right now seems to be working fine and I don't intend to beat on the battery so I'm leaning towards leaving it alone.
I expect that satisfaction with the update may be higher on '09 models and newer, due to (1) improved pre-upgrade '09 software and better battery management, and (2) less battery degradation/usage prior to the upgrade.

As to your second point about applicable model years, I was the OP on the original thread, and had already gotten the update for my '09. Gary is correct in advising you to ask your service department if you're eligible.

Old 04-05-2011, 05:45 PM
Hyper-Everything'er

I got it and can report no ill side-effects in drivability nor mileage.

Old 04-11-2011, 10:01 AM
Enthusiast

Hi. This is just my $0.02 worth, but my advice is no, do not get the updates. However, right along with that I will also say learn to drive your car in a battery friendly way. Deep discharging the battery will wear it out.

Your battery consists of a large number of cells connected in series. As long as they all have similar charge states all will be will - your car's computer will manage them in a reasonable way. However, the car has no knowledge of the individual cell charge states, and in time they will drift away from one another.

This means that sooner or later you will over discharge or over charge some of the cells, and that's bad. By "being kind" to your battery (ie, try not to discharge it too deeply) you postpone this.

Another approach is to get a grid charger for your battery and grid charge it overnight once or twice a month. This charges until the first cells hit full charge and then trickle charges the rest of them to full without unduly stressing the ones that get full first. The value of doing this isn't the extra energy you put in your batter - or even the extra energy you make the battery capable of cycling. The main advantage is that you even he cells out so they all go up and down together and are happy with how they get treated by the car. This can dramatically increase the life of your battery pack.

Best regards,
Kip

Old 04-17-2011, 07:10 PM
Newb

Putting a charger on the battery means the regular 12V battery and not the NiMH hybrid battery. My understanding is that the most this may do is give the voltage converter a break but probably won't do much for the NiMH battery itself... I may be wrong but I don't think so...