HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

PC Card Getting Hot

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2006, 08:22 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default PC Card Getting Hot

I have some music from my Ipod transferred to a compact flash card and use a PC card adapter to play the songs on my Navi unit. While on my way home from work yesterday I decided to remove the card to add some more songs to it when I got home. To my surprise the pc card adapter was extremely hot. At first I thought it was because the car was parked in the sun so I let the card cool down and re-inserted it. After about 5 minutes I removed it again and it was hot. I don't know if this a normal condition. Has anyone else noticed this?

Old 08-17-2006, 09:07 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: PC Card Getting Hot

Yes my compactflash unit also gets very hot when i remove it, never had any issues with it being that way though

Old 08-17-2006, 01:10 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Mine gets hot, too. Mine also doesn't work too well. I have a SanDisk 5in1 reader and I use a 256mb SD card. It's the only SD card I can get to work in the thing (I have five other SD cards, and none work in the car... ALL work fine in my laptop with the same reader). I've also had NAVI lockups and errors using it, so I just don't bother anymore. I have the reader & card in the center console just in case I really need it.

So, I guess the real answer is no... mine stays nice and cool... because it's not being used!!!

Old 08-21-2006, 07:19 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I have a 5GB PCMICA Hard Drive and from time to time it will get hot and will not play until it cools off. Then it will work fine again. Sometimes on hot days when the car has been closed up or after long periods play. Most times I have no problem. Sometimes I just pull the card out when it doesn't work and hold it up to the air conditioner for a min. and it will work.