HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Problem with Current Fuel Mileage Display

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2006, 09:31 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Problem with Current Fuel Mileage Display

On several occasions, I have noticed that the instantaneous mileage display is way off. Here's an example: I will be coasting with ICE off. The display will be maxed at 100mpg. Suddenly, it will drop all the way to 0mpg. If I adjust the throttle, the display will start reading correctly again. However, if I keep the throttle steady, it will stay at 0mpg for over a minute. During this time at 0mpg, the FE for the trip will be steadily increasing. Has anybody else experienced this behavior? I wonder if I have a problem with my display or if this is normal to occasionally have this flaky behavior.

Thanks.

Old 07-30-2006, 12:11 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Problem with Current Fuel Mileage Display

I noticed that this weekend. I wil keep an eye on it to better observe what phenomena might have caused it.

Mike

Old 07-30-2006, 01:11 PM
Enthusiast

That guage is practically worthless anyway, unless you happen to have a calibrated and labeled MPG template on the lens of your eye.

Such a low tech guage, in a high tech car. They need a numeric read out.

Old 07-30-2006, 01:12 PM
Enthusiast

Mr. Kite-

Sounds like your system did a battery recal . I haven't seen it happen, but I just noticed the description in the glossary. ( https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/glossary.php?t=R )

Old 07-30-2006, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by mogryph
Mr. Kite-

Sounds like your system did a battery recal . I haven't seen it happen, but I just noticed the description in the glossary. ( https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/glossary.php?t=R )
Maybe, but I thought the recal involves the battery charge indicator dropping to zero and this has not happened to me. During the time of the weird behavior with the instantaneous mileage display, the batter charge indicator appears normal.

Old 07-30-2006, 01:19 PM
Enthusiast

I've had the same thing a few times now. I was tempted to post, but it didn't persist. Battery recal thing sounds like it could be the cause.

Old 07-30-2006, 02:10 PM
Wo ai Zheng!

Not confirmed whether or not this is actually a recal, but it is a known behavior (for several months) of the HCH2. No need to panic, the actual consumption as reported by the console display is still correct (also allowing for the known ~1.4mpg discrepancy between computer and hand computation). If you find yourself on a long straight descent, and can get your iFCD to stay 'stuck' at 0mpg, you'll see that your trip mpg is still increasing as it should.

Old 07-30-2006, 04:04 PM

I've posted on this several times. With my vehicle it occurs almost every morning... decending a steep hill with cold engine. If you shift to "S" your meter will come back! I often have this "problem" with a no-regen issue (stepping on brakes OR decel results in no green bars for a few minutes... even with 70 degree temps and mid-level SOC).

I've accepted this as a daily recalibration.... and, it's true... it DOESN'T affect your overall MPG. I've seen the MPG meter go up even when the instant gauge reads zero!

Old 07-30-2006, 06:52 PM
Active Enthusiast

I noticed mine went to "0" today, while driving on the highway.. it happen when I release the throttle.

Anyway, it normalised itself after about 5 seconds of "0"... (after I depress the throttle.)

Old 07-31-2006, 08:18 PM
Active Enthusiast

First time this happened to me I couldn't figure it out. Three months and over 6700 miles still have no clue what triggers this issue. I'm usually going at a very good FE rate when it happens though.

Quick Reply: Problem with Current Fuel Mileage Display

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands