HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Scheduled Maintenance (different answers from different dealers?)

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2008, 08:38 AM
Enthusiast
Default Scheduled Maintenance (different answers from different dealers?)

I've just broken 60k with my 06 HCH II, and have recieved 2 different quotes and maint items from 2 dealers for the 60k service.

One dealer is telling me that spark plugs should be done at 60k, one tells me it's not necessary till 100k. I've always been advised that even if the plugs themselves are rated to 100k+, it's best to replace them at 60k to avoid them siezing in the head.

One of the dealers is telling me that they recommend a drain/fill for the trans fluid instead of a flush... the other dealer recommends the flush over the drain/fill.

Coolant and inspection items are no-brainers for 60k as far as i'm concerned.... it's mainly the trans drain/fill vs flush and the spark plug issue that i'm most concerned about.....

anyone have any input on which in the best interest of the car?

Old 03-29-2008, 02:21 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Scheduled Maintenance (different answers from different dealers?)

The #2 dealer is correct? Check your manual. It should point out what is required! H

Old 03-29-2008, 03:01 PM
Eco Accelerometrist

With regards to the CVT transmission: a flush is always the best strategy and worth every penny.

The spark plugs should not replaced unless there's measurable valve noise (or stem deviation causing improper valve seating), or the vehicle has much less than 100K miles (160K kms).

Cheers;

MSantos

Old 03-29-2008, 03:48 PM
Enthusiast

im not sure of the relation between spark plugs and valve noise....your description is perfect when speaking of valve adjustments. they typically are not needed unless you are seeing misfire concerns or excessive valve noise. honda recommends plugs at 100k in all newer vehicles. i suggest doing them at your 3rd 30k service at 90k miles.

and dont do a flush on your cvt trans. if by flush they mean hooking up a machine to do it. what you want is 2 drain and fills with a clutch burnishing drive in between.

other than that you should at 60k be doing oil and filter trans fluid, air filter, coolant, rotate tires and all the associated inspections.

and have them check your cabin filters. if you live somewhere dry those puppies get loaded with dust...
if you live somewhere wet they get mildew in them'''

Old 03-29-2008, 05:00 PM
Eco Accelerometrist

There's no direct relation between the two. Possible replacement of the spark plugs is just one of checklist items when servicing the valve train.

Cheers;

MSantos