HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Touch up paint

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2006, 08:45 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Touch up paint

I have a few little rock chips and minor scratches in my silver HCHII. I'd like to purchase some touch up paint, but my experience with metallic silver has been that you can never come even close to the original paint color. Except for the tiniest holes, the repair ends up blotchy with the metallic flakes taking on an uneven pattern. Sometimes it ends up darker than surrounding area... sometimes lighter.

Has anyone had success with Honda touch up paint? I've also seen some aftermarket touch up pens which claim to give better results.

Anyone have experience in this area? Thanks!

Old 12-23-2006, 10:36 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Touch up paint

I'm interested too. I got a pretty sizeable ding on the passenger door handel. It's on the underside so it must've been a rock and I only noticed it when I was washing the car.

Old 12-24-2006, 11:59 AM
Wo ai Zheng!

My mag pearl paint from Honda was a very good match. The screw top, however, wasn't exactly the strongest. That, or I just cranked down on it a little too hard. Either way, the thing cracked and now I have to pay close attention to how I open and close it lest I get paint all over myself.

Old 12-24-2006, 09:32 PM
Eco Accelerometrist

Originally Posted by Anahymbrid

Has anyone had success with Honda touch up paint? I've also seen some aftermarket touch up pens which claim to give better results.

Anyone have experience in this area? Thanks!
Yep. I've always purchased touch up paint (in spray can form) because sooner or later we need it. Your local dealership will sell for a little more than the tiny brush kits. Online retailers typically sell the perfect color match (in spray can Alabaster silver) for alot less.

I prefer spray paint because I believe it does a better job and handling paint chips. here's what I do:

-I purchase a wax remover and I clean the area around the chip.
-I take a dremel with a small grinding bit and I lighly clean the pit in the paint.
-Right after, I apply a tiny bit of UV filler. When dry, I sand it lightly and then I mask the area around the pit so it wount get any overspray.
-I apply a bit of spray primer and soon after I apply the touch up paint.
-Depending on the area affected, I may restore the clear coat with a bit of premium clear coat spray.
-Wax or paint seal the area and we're done.

Done in this way, it is impossible to tell there was a paint chip. It is a bit of work but I believe it is worth it. As an example, my last commuter vehicle was a 1990 Civic LX sedan that looked showroom new after 16 years of daily driving.

Cheers;

MSantos

Last edited by msantos; 12-25-2006 at 01:49 PM.
Old 12-25-2006, 01:33 PM

I use touch up paint from the dealer but it never looks as good as new.

I just do it anyway to protect the metal.

Old 12-26-2006, 06:10 PM

Msantos... When you do this type of repair, what size masking do you use? Is it the same size as the damaged area or a little larger? Do you sand down the touched up area to "feather" the new paint into the old?

I've tried these methods and just can't seem to get the paints to match. I guess it's the quality of paint I've used in the past? Any recommendations on an online place or brand name for spray touch-up in Alabaster Silver?

Congrats on keeping your cars in such good condition! Considering the beating they take in the frigid north, that's quite an accomplishment!

Old 12-26-2006, 06:54 PM
Eco Accelerometrist

Originally Posted by Anahymbrid
Msantos... When you do this type of repair, what size masking do you use? Is it the same size as the damaged area or a little larger? Do you sand down the touched up area to "feather" the new paint into the old?

I've tried these methods and just can't seem to get the paints to match. I guess it's the quality of paint I've used in the past? Any recommendations on an online place or brand name for spray touch-up in Alabaster Silver?
Hi Jeff. I typically do it a little larger than the chip itself. Normally I define a round area around the chip that is at most two inches in diameter. This way, it allows me to do a proper wet sanding job at the end for the purpose of blending the two paints better.

As a matter of fact, If I have a front bumper or hood that has quite a few chips then I simply opt to do it all in one stretch. It is easier and gives better results that way.

However, I like to avoid doing this type of work as much as possible. That is why I always buy two cans of premium clear coat spray and apply it to every new vehicle I get as soon as possible. By doing this we can add several layers of protection that is very easy to manage and restore. Many times the road debris cause the top most clear coat to break away and the factory paint+clear coat remain un-afected. Which in my view is a far superior solution even when compared to a clear bra.

Also, maintaining the car's paint properly sealed is an awesome way to prevent the paint from fracturing and breaking away. Many times a slick sealed surface can deflect and even spread the stress from debris impact to the point of preventing larger damage.

Your dealership should carry the factory touch-up paint in spray form. If you prefer to shop online then this is a place I get mine from:

For example, the factory paint code for my Alabaster Silver is NH-700M.

HondaPartsDeals

Cheers;

MSantos

Old 05-20-2007, 09:22 AM
Enthusiast

Hello, your right touch up is very tough to match some colors. Because of the metalics in the paint, will not sit the same way as if you sprayed it through a paint gun. But other colors seem to be easer like black, white,and other solid colors. Good look! Try a auto reconditioning center in your area or I go to http://bumperdoc.com/ in San Diego.