HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Where do we stand on AC refrigerant here?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2016, 05:05 PM
Enthusiast
Default Where do we stand on AC refrigerant here?

Hey everyone!

Riding in a 2008 Civic Hybrid with ~70k miles, and the air conditioning just is not what I'd expect in a modern car.

Then again I haven't really had great A/C for as long as I've owned vehicles, but nevertheless it seems like it needs some help.

I'm looking to just test it and possibly add a little more R134a (since the sweet spot is so specific); but I've read a lot of things on here and various other platforms that Hybrids need different refill kits.

Could anybody elaborate or throw their two cents in with regards to this?

I was also thinking about cleaning the condenser; but I honestly have no clue where it is.

Thank you!

Old 07-16-2016, 10:07 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Where do we stand on AC refrigerant here?

absolutely, positively, without a doubt...

ADD STRAIGHT R-134a

NO DYES
NO OILS
NO SEALANTS

There is a sight glass by the high-side port. After letting the system run for a 5 minutes, add R-134a (no dyes, no oils, no sealants) SLOWLY until you see the bubbles disappear.

Ambient temperature temperature between 85 and 95 seems to give the best results.

Get a low-side hose with a gauge, and a can of pure R-134a (no dyes, no oil, no sealants).

Do not by the AC PRO bottle with the filler tube on it. In tiny lettering at the bottom, it says, "not for hybrid vehicles with electric compressors). I mean you have to look HARD for it.

I know two HCH2 drivers that filled their system with that stuff. The only option then is to not run it and get it evacuated/recharged either at the dealer, or a shop that KNOWS hybrids.

Steve

P.S. USE ONLY STRAIGHT R-134a THAT DOES NOT CONTAIN DYES, OILS OR SEALANTS. The last ones I bought were the cheapo SuperTech brand at Walmart for $4.88 each.

Old 07-16-2016, 10:19 PM
Enthusiast

S Keith,

As always, thank you for the thoughtful and thorough response!

I'm looking at getting these cans

From what I understand, there is a special Honda specific oil that is present in the AC system from the factory?

Does more of that need to be added? Do the oils in other R-134a cans have the wrong viscosity?

Edit: Ah, clipboard issues. Link fixed!

Last edited by mulletman13; 07-16-2016 at 10:33 PM.
Old 07-16-2016, 10:31 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

The link you posted did not link to a product but to a 2012 article entitled, "These 6 Corporations Control 90% Of The Media In America." It is not relevant to this conversation.

Yes, there is a HONDA HYBRID specific oil. The HCH2 has a pulley AND electrically driven compressor. The motor windings are immersed in the refrigerant.

It's not the viscosity of the oil, it's the conductivity. PAG oils have about 1 MegaOhm of resistance. The Honda Hybrid and Prius oils are closer to 10 MegaOhm.

There is no need to add oil as it can't be done without disassembling portions of the system and pouring it in (not available in anything else that can be tapped into a working system).

Here's all that you need to do IF you see bubbles in the sight glass after 5 minutes of operation (windows open, on fresh air, on "LO"):

1) buy a low pressure side filling kit (hose and gauge only).
2) buy a can of STRAIGHT R-134a (No oil, dyes or sealant). If you're not sure, ask. If you're still not sure, look at the contents. It should say the contents are a single chemical.
3) Follow directions for tapping the can and attaching the hose.
4) SLOWLY add R-134a until the bubbles disappear.
5) Stop and disconnect the hose kit according to instructions.

Done.

If this takes you more than 5-10 minutes, you're either doing it wrong, or your refrigerant is very low. Once the system nears full capacity, it will be slow-going as the can empties and chills.