HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Winter Driving Woes / Tire Problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 07:04 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Winter Driving Woes / Tire Problems

I'm taking it to a different dealer today. I'll let you know.

I think there's something wrong back there as it ruined a set of rear tires under 20k km (~6 months use) already (Honda replaced pro-rated...I paid 24% of the tires).

Old 12-25-2007, 03:52 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by downeaster59
I bought a set of Nokian WR G2's. Nokian advertises them as "All-Weather" tires, which means you could use them year-round. Yet they surpass the US govermnent's winter traction standards so that they can be labeled as snow tires. I had the chance to test them out in our first snowstorm last week, and they are good.
I had Nokian WR's on my 2002 CR-V and they were great! Way better than any other "all season" tire I've ever owned. Really competent in the winter, both in the deep stuff and on ice, and perfectly adequate for all but high performance driving on dry roads. The directional arrowhead tread also resists hydroplaning nicely.

I have not put them on my HCH yet, as I am running some old Michelin snows that came on rims I picked up on eBay. They are horribly noisy, enough so that I am considering Nokiann WR's in spite of the fact that the Michelins are not worn out yet.

I didn't see 185-70/14 listed for the WR G2's or for the WR's. I was thinking of using WR's in the 195-70/14, which will fit but are a bit larger around. But in the WR G2's there does not seem to be any size that close to stock.

Which size did you use on your HCH?

Last edited by ovals49; 12-25-2007 at 04:06 AM.
Old 12-27-2007, 03:56 PM
Enthusiast

ovals49,

I have an 08 HCH. The OE tire size for my car is 195/65/15, and that is the size I purchased for my WR G2 tires.

Old 12-29-2007, 03:29 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by downeaster59
ovals49,

I have an 08 HCH. The OE tire size for my car is 195/65/15, and that is the size I purchased for my WR G2 tires.
I forgot I was in HCH II thread and didn't know OEM size had changed in 2006

FWIW, I've decided on the Nokian Hakkapeliitta RSi. I probably would have gone with the WR's if they came in my OEM size. I'll report back on my impressions after I've had a chance to play in the snow with them.

Old 12-29-2007, 10:34 PM
Happy Camper Enthusiast

Ontario, I wouldn't rule out an alignment problem -- we've seen a couple threads on that before for the HCH II, like serious factory misalignments (a search should find them) that ate tires.

Also, though, the sashay you describe sounds a little like mine did on brand new Blizzaks. They came from the Tire Rack with a warning that for 500 miles or so they would feel "looser" than older tires because 1) high tread depths create more flex and 2) the lubricants used in the molding process would be "outgassing" for a bit.

The effect was, for the first couple hundred miles, it was like having rear-wheel steering a quarter second out of phase with front steering -- if I slalomed the wheel very slightly very quickly, the back end would sort of grow a mind of its own and wiggle instead of feeling like it was "following" the front wheels.

Would that be anything like what you're feeling on the new tires? Mine went away after about 300 miles just like the tire dealer said it would. Now the same "slaloming" steering input creates no rear-end effect -- it just feels dead planted.

cheers -
doug

Old 12-30-2007, 11:26 AM
Eco Accelerometrist

Originally Posted by DougD
Ontario, I wouldn't rule out an alignment problem -- we've seen a couple threads on that before for the HCH II, like serious factory misalignments (a search should find them) that ate tires.
Doug, I believe you are dead on.

It is not uncommon for the HCH's to arrive to the dealership's lots with some mis-alignment. How common is that?

Well, so common that I always have the dealership perform an alignment from every Japanese imported vehicle I buy. The 2006 and 2007 HCH's I bought had correctable mis-alignment and those discrepancies were handled before I took possession of the cars.
Sure, the dealership will probably dismiss you at first when you request the alignment... but if you insist and they do it, I bet they'll become believers as well.

Cheers;

MSantos

Old 01-02-2008, 07:11 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

It has more to do with how the cars were shipped then where they are from. Most cars are transported on trucks at various angles and are chained under load (to keep from moving). Placing stress on the suspension which could cause alignment issues. I'm sure there are slots in the transporter that keep the stress to a minimum but there are probably other slots that add more stress. This could explain why some cars have no issues at all, while others do.

Old 03-01-2008, 10:09 PM
Enthusiast

Hi I have a honda civic 07 and have been searching to find an answer to the exact same problem as yours.

As soon as i hit 70km/h or more on bad road conditions the back of the car seems to fishtail. I have winter tires bought new in november 07.

I havent found out why this happens but i think it's maybe a bad alignement. I am going this week to my good old garagist to install a hitch and i'm going to ask him what he thinks and then i will go see the dealer.

If you have found an answer i would be glad to hear it.

Thank you and sorry for my pour english :-)

Old 03-02-2008, 06:19 AM
For my daughter

Originally Posted by Jonathan_Quebec
...the car seems to fishtail...
Salut le Québécois,

Nous avons le même auto est je n'ai pas cette sensation. Je n'ai pas vu de différence notable entre cete HCH et l'Accord que j'avais auparavant. J'ai cependant expérimenté ce que tu décrit sur l'Accord avec de mauvais pneux. Quel est la marque de tes pneux et vérifie à ce qu'ils soient très bien gonflé et tous également.

Bonne pêche,

PierreM.

Old 03-02-2008, 07:54 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Mark, are you still happy with the Nokian tires? FE still good?

Quick Reply: Winter Driving Woes / Tire Problems

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands