2007 Nissan Altima Hybrid converted to PHEV (first one?)

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2011, 09:53 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 2007 Nissan Altima Hybrid converted to PHEV (first one?)

Well, I finally know at least part of the answer for my mileage.

I just filled up today after going 1033.9 miles. Put in not quite my maximum amount of fuel that I can put into the car, but I did manage to put in 22.228 gallons.

So that gives me 46.5 mpg....

Old 05-19-2011, 07:18 AM
Active Enthusiast

I'm still shocked by how many gallons you are able to fill up with.

So, after the warning light says "---" (ie: no miles left), how many more miles do you drive?

I drove about 25 miles after "---" yesterday, and was only able to put 18.8 gallons in. I'm always too much of a chicken to go further.

I also have a fear of sucking contaminants into the gas line by using up those last few dregs off the bottom of the tank. Is this not an issue in the Altima?

Eph

PS - I'm only getting about 42mpg these days....

Old 05-19-2011, 07:56 AM
Active Enthusiast

FYI and coincidentally:
http://www.nissanclub.com/forums/200...can-drive.html

Old 05-19-2011, 08:52 AM
Active Enthusiast

I'll have to remember the URL and create an account there... I think I already have an account there, but have to check when I get to my computer instead of my work computer. Wait'l they hear my take on that one...

It's not quite an easy answer on it... But once it goes on, I look at my gauge and dependent on what my indicated MPG and tank level is, I know that I have at least 100 miles that I can go. I believe that the range indicator/warning is calibrated for the worse case (3.5 - v6).

When I did my last test, one time I saw a range of 100 miles and that was at about 875 miles.

P.S. when I do these "tests" of distance, I keep a gallon of gas into the trunk. It only takes once to learn... I don't make that mistake again.

This last go around, I really wasn't worried... If I did run out, with the conversion, I've got about 40 miles that I can go on battery alone. Heck, I still had around .3 gallons left, which meant another 15 miles + 30 miles on the PHEV battery.

By the way, the signature hasn't updated, should show 43.something.

Last edited by ibmsorcerer; 05-19-2011 at 09:11 AM.
Old 05-19-2011, 10:01 PM
Active Enthusiast

Here's what I posted in response to that query on "how far can I go"...

Best guess is that the point where the fuel icon coming on, is calibrated for the 3.5 v6... In my 07 Altima hybrid, I can routinely go at least 100 miles once it comes on.

Second piece that many of you might not believe, but it's actual. I can put in the maximum of 22.5 gallons of gas in my Altima hybrid. I have done it about 5 times. Now before you start saying is impossible... This is at different gas stations and different chains. I've had this "argument" before. If it's not actual, then the state of California is in on it also. Now if the state of California is in on it also, then my mileage goes up considerably.

As far as how far can I go on a single tank of gas... 880 miles and my usual mpg is >35.8. I've seen a maximum of 39 mpg.

Now, I have made it into a plug-in hybrid and just logged 1033.9 miles on a single tank and then put 22.228 gallons of gas back in, for a combined mpg of 46.5 and my usual mileage is >41 mpg.

My numbers are hand calculated: number of miles driven / number of gallons replaced.

That should give them something to talk about.

Old 05-20-2011, 02:44 PM
Active Enthusiast

>I also have a fear of sucking contaminants into the gas line by using up those last few dregs off the bottom of the tank. Is this not an issue in the Altima?

They call them fuel filters... All cars have them. Maybe you might have a bigger concentration of particles, but with everything moving around, you probably get those dregs anyway...

Old 07-09-2011, 07:34 PM
Enthusiast

That's cool you know. Every body keen to know how to save fuel. If we follow better driving methods then it's easy to save fuel. All that matters is, do we follow those methods genuinely?

Old 08-31-2011, 12:24 PM
Active Enthusiast

Quick update:
Highest in town commute average mpg 70 (distance 23 miles).
Highest freeway commute average mpg 47.5 (distance 56 miles).
Highest tank is still 1033 and I might be able to top that still but might be more difficult because may lose the shorter commute. But my system is working better since coming back from manufacturer with the converter voltages/current/temperature limits tweaked.

Old 09-01-2011, 05:33 AM
Active Enthusiast

Impressive! Since my commute is 12miles at 40mph (where I currently average 43mpg in the summer), I suspect I'd be doing MUCH better with your system!

Old 09-01-2011, 09:09 AM
Active Enthusiast

Today it got better. Today's morning commute was 74 mpg @ <40 mph (most of distance, there are 2 parts where is <45 mph.

Quick Reply: 2007 Nissan Altima Hybrid converted to PHEV (first one?)

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands