Fresh air OR recirculate/air conditioner

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2007, 12:23 PM
Enthusiast
Default Fresh air OR recirculate/air conditioner

Is it just me, or can we not run the heater with recirculated air without running the air conditioner?

I want to run the heater, and usually fresh air is fine, but sometimes I want to use cabin air, not outside air - like when the car is still warming up, or if I'm behind a stinky diesel truck. But when I push the recycle button, the air conditioner comes on. Help...

Sure, SOMETIMES I'll want the air conditioner and the heat, like to defog the windshield on a cold wet day, but that's hardly ever. It just works against the heat, and kills my mileage. I should get to choose! Why is it deciding for me?

-Gren

Old 10-27-2007, 01:47 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Fresh air OR recirculate/air conditioner

I think, without actually going out in the car to confirm, that anytime you push the AC button it turns the compressor off except when in the window defrost mode - then the AC runs all the time. Also the dual mode doesn't work when in the window defrost mode - only the temperature for the drivers dial lights up.

Edit - You're correct - I just checked it out and if you push recirculate the AC comes on. I guess the engineers don't want you to fog up.

Last edited by lloyd123; 10-27-2007 at 06:52 PM.
Old 10-28-2007, 01:37 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks Lloyd.

Well, I think I should be able to choose when I want air conditioning, and when I want fresh/recirc air, on my own. I'm a big boy now, my mommy says so.

Hmmm... So, how do I break it? Without, you know, actually breaking it. Thoughts?

Thanks,
-Gren

Old 10-28-2007, 05:01 PM
Active Enthusiast

I've got the shop manual and I don't see any thing in there about programing the set up.

If it's any consolation, I wouldn't think that it's putting a big load on the AC - probably just cycles the compressor on at a minimum.

Old 10-29-2007, 07:04 AM
Enthusiast

That's been a real bummer here too. Plenty cool in the mornings to not need to run the A/C but with the fire smoke still hanging around you need the filtration...crazy.

Old 10-29-2007, 07:07 AM
Enthusiast

And this morning it's flashing me an ALERT: Outside temperature is low! 37°F. TWICE! Is it going to do that every few miles all winter? AH!!!

So, this morning I'm behind another stinky diesel truck, trying to decide between stinky diesel heat, or no heat, or lame extra-dry heat and bad mileage, and the freaking car tells me that the outside temp is cold. Isn't that nice... So, stinky heat then, great... And I clear that, and then another warning, I see I've only 55 miles to drive til empty. It's like having kids in the car... Can't wait to see what new "features" tomorrow brings... It's SO distracting.

I'm really starting to hate it...

-Gren

Old 10-29-2007, 02:25 PM
Active Enthusiast

I think you can elect to turn off the tempeature warning. It's similar to setting your tire rotation,oil and filter warning.

Old 10-29-2007, 02:44 PM
Enthusiast

Ah, cool. Thanks again.

-Gren