Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2017, 06:33 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Warning Lights Bonanza After Disconnecting 12V battery

The labor number + $50/module.

Old 08-18-2017, 01:02 PM
Enthusiast

Keith...My hero!!!!!!!!!!!! I just called Nissan about the "goodwill warranty" you suggested, they told me to get the car diagnosed at a Nissan dealer, and if it turns out to be the battery, they would "assist" me with it and even re-emburse me for the cost of diagnosis - if it turns out to be the battery. I told them its 100% the battery but they need the Nissan tech's to confirm it. What do you think ? Thanks to your advise.

Old 08-18-2017, 01:13 PM

Sounds good to me. It won't be free, but it should be dramatically cheaper than full replacement cost, and it is certainly the best VALUE option (new is always better than anything else). If you decide to get rid of the car, it should command full value with proof the battery was replaced with Nissan new.

Hybrids still continue to fight the public perception that they are unreliable or too costly. The manufacturers pay attention to "borderline" cases. The reality is that the design life of the battery exceeds the 10yr/150K mileage warranty - on average.

It's in their best interest to address issues with the extreme outliers near warranty - especially when there is a big disparity with one. I recently assisted a California gentlemen with a 2005 Prius that was 2 years out of warranty, but didn't even have 100K miles (original owner). Toyota took very good care of him - it wasn't free, but it was less than half the cheapest quoted price and included another 3 year warranty.

For everyone in your situation with a premature failure, there are hundreds of drivers that get well beyond the warranty period out of them - but it's those early failures that get heard and disseminated as "hybrids are junk."

Old 08-18-2017, 02:16 PM
Enthusiast

I see..I assumed "goodwill warranty meant they would honor it as if it were still under warranty..meaning cost free. Before I go to nissan for their inspection, would you care to take a guess as to what a goodwill warranty would end up costing me? If we take a figure of 5K for the market value, what ort of discount would you expect from them? Thanks

Old 08-18-2017, 02:27 PM

I have never personally dealt with Nissan, so I don't know.

Typical for those on the line or nearly so, it's a little under 50% of full replacement. For others well under one limit but slightly over on another, it's been as little as $500 for a $3200 Prius.

Only you can get the actual answer to your question. Goodwill may indeed mean something different to Nissan.

Old 08-18-2017, 02:40 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by S Keith

Typical for those on the line or nearly so, it's a little under 50% of full replacement. For others well under one limit but slightly over on another, it's been as little as $500 for a $3200 Prius.

Only you can get the actual answer to your question. Goodwill may indeed mean something different to Nissan.
I posed this question to the nissan rep but he refused to go by hypetheicals..meaning he wanted nissan confirmation of bad battery before moving forward...naturally i'd like to make an informed decision before moving forward myself...I guess I will have to find this out in a round-about way, perhaps posting that inquiry on this forum...again. the main issue more than anything else is that there are so few owners of this car..even on nissan forums, there are VERY FEW altima hybrid owners.

Old 08-18-2017, 02:43 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 1on1
I posed this question to the nissan rep but he refused to go by hypetheticals..meaning he wanted nissan confirmation of bad battery before moving forward...naturally i'd like to make an informed decision before moving forward myself...I guess I will have to find this out in a round-about way, perhaps posting that inquiry on this forum...again. the main issue more than anything else is that there are so few owners of this car..even on nissan forums, there are VERY FEW altima hybrid owners.
​​​​​Hopefully it's not state secret and I will find this crucial bit of information over the weekend..there must be someone who's got a goodwill warranty before.

Old 08-18-2017, 03:03 PM

Every situation is different. There is no definitive answer for all situations.

You are wasting time. Go get diagnostics at the dealer. It's usually about $140, and you'll have YOUR definitive answer shortly after.

If you have an issue with spending $140 to get an answer, rest assured that I have spent at least that amount of time-value assisting you in this matter.

Old 08-18-2017, 03:26 PM
Enthusiast

Every situation is different. There is no definitive answer for all situations.

You are wasting time. Go get diagnostics at the dealer. It's usually about $140, and you'll have YOUR definitive answer shortly after.

If you have an issue with spending $140 to get an answer, rest assured that I have spent at least that amount of time-value assisting you in this matter.
it's more like $325 flat rate to sling up there scanlll diagnostic tool at my local nissan..but with all due respect Keith, getting the diagnostic done is the easy part...I will try calling nissan back and see if another rep might be more forthcoming. Hopefully by Monday I will be armed with this info. I am also hoping to get input from others on this forum but it seems you are the most deficated..I hope you inderstand, I am not trying to diminish your help.

Old 08-18-2017, 03:28 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 1on1
it's more like $325 flat rate to sling up there scanlll diagnostic tool at my local nissan..but with all due respect Keith, getting the diagnostic done is the easy part...I will try calling nissan back and see if another rep might be more forthcoming. Hopefully by Monday I will be armed with this info. I am also hoping to get input from others on this forum but it seems you are the most deficated..I hope you inderstand, I am not trying to diminish your help.
typo= dedicated