General EV Discussion Discuss electric only vehicles (Tesla, Volt etc.)

Electric Cars and Plug In Hybrids

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 11:05 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Electric Cars and Plug In Hybrids

I've really gotten into electric vehicles (EVs) and Plug In Hybrids (PHEVs) lately. I wanted to know what you guys think about them. I'll try to answer any questions you have about them. I think this is a good discussion to have amongst hybrid owners, since we were early adopters of one technology, and many of us will probably be early adopters of the next generation of plug in vehicles.

Please state your thoughts, questions, concerns, praises, etc about plug in cars.

Old 01-15-2009, 07:15 AM
Default Re: Electric Cars and Plug In Hybrids

Probably the future, I think! First chance I get I want to look into that one made by Chysler. I think it would be great in town car? Hal

Old 01-15-2009, 01:54 PM

Sadly, Honda is the ONLY major automaker that hasn't announced plans to make a plug-in vehicle. I have sent them letters, emails, and called them. They are really into their fuel cell program.

Old 01-15-2009, 10:12 PM

just realized GH has an EV section now. Should have posted there. Oops! Oh well. I'll be hanging out there a lot anyways.

Old 01-16-2009, 05:30 PM

thx for moving this thread

Old 02-01-2009, 06:09 PM
ice
Active Enthusiast

Hi to all,
is it true that electric cars need a new set of batteries every three to eight years? or it really depends on usage?many thanks!

Old 02-02-2009, 09:59 AM

That's not at all true. There are hundreds of 2002-2003 Rav 4 EVs on the road with their original batteries. Some have over 100,000mi will virtually no range degradation. The condition of the batteries will depend on usage, but 3-8 years is a very short time and EV batteries will last much longer than that. They are required to have the same 15-year warranty (in California and the 'clean' states; I think 10 yrs everywhere else) as hybrid cars, so you will be guaranteed for that long.

Also, keep in mind that the RAV4 EVs were designed 12 years ago. If 12-year-old technology works that well, imagine what cars like the volt will be able to do. GM is being very conservative with the Volt's battery. The battery is only drained to 50% before the generator kicks in. This will keep the car's battery lasting even longer.

I am confident that battery technology is here and EVs won't need constant battery replacement. There will be a few duds, just like in our hybrids, that will require replacing, but those will all be under warranty.

Old 02-02-2009, 04:42 PM
ice
Active Enthusiast

Thank you so much for that info...

Old 02-06-2009, 04:36 PM

No problem. We have a ton of info at http://www.pluginamerica.org as well. If you have check it out when you have time.

Old 02-15-2009, 07:39 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by giantquesadilla
Sadly, Honda is the ONLY major automaker that hasn't announced plans to make a plug-in vehicle. I have sent them letters, emails, and called them. They are really into their fuel cell program.
Here is an article in the LA Times reviewing the Honda Clarity. Its interesting that the author, Dan Neil, feels fuel cell powered cars probably aren't the future of the automobile. I love his description of the Clarity as "a big garnet-red teardrop falling from the cheek of the future".

Here's the link:

http://www.latimes.com/classified/au...,6636491.story

Last edited by soareyes; 02-15-2009 at 07:41 AM. Reason: added quote

Quick Reply: Electric Cars and Plug In Hybrids

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands