General EV Discussion Discuss electric only vehicles (Tesla, Volt etc.)

Scope out the Volt??

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 11:23 AM
Engineering first
Default Scope out the Volt??

http://www.examiner.com/a-1098529~GM...ars_in_SF.html

Dec 11, 2007 12:32 PM (47 mins ago) by Staff, The Examiner
SAN FRANCISCO (Map, News) - General Motors will show off its Chevy Volt Concept—an extended-range electric concept car—in the Bay Area this week and next with a tour of local attractions.
The Chevy Volt sedan, a plug-in hybrid, allows a driver to travel up to 40 miles a day on a single charge with no gas and no tailpipe emissions, and is recharged by plugging it into a 110-volt electrical outlet. A “FlexFuel” engine that can run on gasoline, ethanol or a combination of the two can extend the vehicle’s range up to 640 miles.
The vehicle will be on show Thursday, Dec. 13 from 7 a.m. to 9:30 p.m. at Justin Herman Plaza in San Francisco, on Friday from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. at Fisherman’s Wharf, on Saturday from 9 a.m. to 11 p.m. at Macy’s Union Square, on Sunday from 8 a.m. to 7 p.m. at Pier 39, and on Tuesday Dec. 18 from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. at Stanford Shopping Center.
Bring your tools? Wear a jump suit with a Mr. Goodwrench patch? <grins>

Bob Wilson

Old 12-11-2007, 06:26 PM
Part Time Hybrids
Default Re: Scope out the Volt??

I've read it will be wearing a chevy brand skin off off an existing model. A test mule for the drive systems or a full prototype I wonder.

I'd like to see even a black tarp covered test model. Reading suggests GM is going to have to stray far from the original shown concept to beat wind resistance.

Old 12-12-2007, 04:45 AM
Proud to be GM

Originally Posted by Sungod18
....Reading suggests GM is going to have to stray far from the original shown concept to beat wind resistance.
I think it's way too early to draw that conclusion. The design studio will do what it has to do to balance adherence to the concept and optimizing aero, but they aren't gonna get crazy with it.

Here's a link to the Detroit Free PRess article I pulled the photo from.

http://freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?

AID=/20071211/BUSINESS01/712110403/1014&theme=AUTOSHOW112007

Here are the most relevant comments from the article......

The latest version of the Volt from the designers keeps the striking looks of the concept car that wowed the North American International Auto Show in Detroit last January, but its front corners have been rounded off to improve aerodynamics for a production car, Boniface said.
The key is coming up with a vehicle that delivers on the 40-mile cruising range and retains the concept's appealing looks, he said.
"For this car to have popular appeal, and for buyers to embrace the new technology, it must look good," he said.

Peace,

Martin

Old 12-16-2007, 10:50 PM
Enthusiast

With GM's experience with the EV1, I thought it wouldn't be difficult to develop the Volt.

But GM has not even developed a mule. The mule prototype is scheduled for Easter and they claim production is 3 years away.

That's a little discouraging, but I do believe that GM has a winner with this technology.

I understand we'll see some all electric cars much sooner, e.g. Tesla -- probalby within 12 months. It all depends on the development of lithium batteries.

By the way, GM claims the Volt is not a hybrid since only the electric motor propels the car.

Old 12-17-2007, 05:16 AM
Proud to be GM

Originally Posted by Need2Change
By the way, GM claims the Volt is not a hybrid since only the electric motor propels the car.
This is true. The official classification within GM is Extended Range Electric Vehicle (EREV). It is essentially an electric vehicle with something on board that can recharge the battery for extended range trips. Something the EV-1 sorely lacked. The something could be a gasoline based engine (1st vehicle to launch), a FlexFuel engine, a diesel engine (EU focused), or a hydrogen fuel cell. The something will not in any instance provide direct propulsion.

Some (Toyota / Honda in particular) prefer to refer to it as a series hybrid. It does fit within that definition as well. To-may'-to, to-mah'-to.

Peace,

Martin

Old 12-18-2007, 12:27 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by martinjlm
Here's the production Volt model (not sketch):

http://www.gm-volt.com/2007/12/11/gm...design-center/

It's on the video.