General EV Discussion Discuss electric only vehicles (Tesla, Volt etc.)

Volt battery testing started

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 06:12 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Volt battery testing started

Looks like the have started testing the Volt battery....hope everything goes well.

http://crave.cnet.com/8301-1_105-991...ml?tag=nl.e501

Old 04-05-2008, 09:28 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Volt battery testing started

Interesting article, thanks for posting!

Old 04-18-2008, 10:37 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I am skeptic.
The automaker announced yesterday that it had created a new computer algorithm to test the batteries, which will be required to propel the four-seater Volt up to 40 miles under electric power alone.
Fourty miles?
Heck their EV1 went 80-100 miles on a single charge- and with almost 20 year old technology.

Perhaps they should not have snatched them away so hastily from their happy, more than satisfied drivers back in the 90's to crush them all in an evil, secretive plot- as if cancer to their immediate profits.

GM is so proud of their 32MPG car of today- I hear them boast about it on TV as if it is really something, while my four year old HCH is getting +60. GM have never been interested in real fuel economy. 40 Mile range Volt? That's pitiful proud and still consumes dino.
I bet they'll still be making (and pushing) Hummers and Excursions as gas reaches $5/g. Someone should be ashamed of themselves.

GM needs to be making better decisions before fuel costs put them out. I'll be ready for my next new commuter car in about 5 years. I plan to buy a battery electric. Surely not a 40 mile range GM. Perhaps by then they will have better leadership. I'm not holding my breath. Nor my wallet. Notice my edit note below.

-Steve

Last edited by Hot_Georgia_2004; 04-18-2008 at 10:50 PM. Reason: Toned down my disgust for GM's gas hungry ideology
Old 04-20-2008, 07:27 AM
Enthusiast

Steve, HURRAY someone actually voiced my thoughts too. How pitiful is GM - pushing BUMMERS (I mean HUMMERS) instead of concentrating on gas economy. But then again Steve, we are not getting kickbacks from BIG OIL as GM does! Let me share a story with you that will make your head spin. While at Epcot yesterday, I heavily questioned the GM rep (she was so lost for words, she had to walk away from me). They were highlighting their new FUEL CELL TRUCK - oh, by the way, this won't be ready for 4-6 years. When I questioned her about the EV1, she dodged my question. I specifically stated "you had the technology then so what you destroyed all of the blueprints for the EV1". Naturally, she had no idea of how to respond. GM's new press campaign is simply gas guzzling fluff. She especially did not like the fact of me stating "you had a phenomenal product but decided to crush it - meaning the EV1". Of course, if and when (which is a BIG if and when) the Volt comes to market, this will also only be available by lease. How convenient, she if it is successful and there is a need, GM will take it back from you and crush it- JUST like the EV1. Hmmmmm, history somewhat repeating itself! SHAME ON GM!

Old 04-20-2008, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by valerieannt
Steve, HURRAY someone actually voiced my thoughts too. How pitiful is GM - pushing BUMMERS (I mean HUMMERS) instead of concentrating on gas economy. But then again Steve, we are not getting kickbacks from BIG OIL as GM does! Let me share a story with you that will make your head spin. While at Epcot yesterday, I heavily questioned the GM rep (she was so lost for words, she had to walk away from me). They were highlighting their new FUEL CELL TRUCK - oh, by the way, this won't be ready for 4-6 years. When I questioned her about the EV1, she dodged my question. I specifically stated "you had the technology then so what you destroyed all of the blueprints for the EV1". Naturally, she had no idea of how to respond. GM's new press campaign is simply gas guzzling fluff. She especially did not like the fact of me stating "you had a phenomenal product but decided to crush it - meaning the EV1". Of course, if and when (which is a BIG if and when) the Volt comes to market, this will also only be available by lease. How convenient, she if it is successful and there is a need, GM will take it back from you and crush it- JUST like the EV1. Hmmmmm, history somewhat repeating itself! SHAME ON GM!
This English major has made a number of questionable statements that she needs to back up.

-GM is getting kickbacks from big Oil..
-GM destroyed all the blueprints for the EV1..
-GM had the technology for the EV1 then..
-the Volt, if it comes to the market, it only available by lease..
-if the Volt is successful and there is a need, GM will take it back from you and crush it, just like the EV1..

GM EV1 at the Henry Ford Museum today 2008

Old 04-20-2008, 10:26 AM
Active Enthusiast

I'm so disappointed in the American auto industry. American industry used to be seen as the model for technical innovation. We lost sight of that somehow in seek of short-term profits. They grew complacent selling their heavy, dirty, gas-guzzlers to the masses.

Unfortunately Detroit only wants to sell me a 15MPG gas-guzzler. Get with the times, Detroit! Sometimes I wonder if they are oblivious to the fact that gas is quickly approaching $4/gal. Detroit's most fuel-efficient cars only offer about 35MPG. Honestly, that is pathetic when their competitors have been offering vehicles with nearly 60+MPG for years now.

I know that Detroit has it in them to produce a quality, fuel-efficient car that could rival the Prius and Civic Hybrid's MPG, if they would just put forth the effort. It would require them to let go of their gas-guzzler culture, though.

Old 04-20-2008, 10:45 AM

[quote=pagemap;169114
[I]Detroit's most fuel-efficient cars only offer about 35MPG. Honestly, that is pathetic when their competitors have been offering vehicles with nearly 60+MPG for years now. quote][/I]

Can you provide the readership with evidence that there is a current production automobile with an EPA rating of 60+MPG?

Last edited by Billyk; 04-20-2008 at 10:53 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-20-2008, 10:53 AM
Active Enthusiast

What about the Insight, Prius, or Civic Hybrid. All of these are capable of 60MPG with a light-footed driver.

Old 04-20-2008, 10:58 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

It is really quite odd, GM & Ford are touting they have cars that get 35 mpg, when you look at the epa rating that is FREEWAY driving.

I dive freeway maybe 5% of the time, I have been looking at the city mileage, guess what, it still is hard pressed to be 25 mpg, I get 42ish in my HCHII, That is 70% better mileage in the real world....
BTW, when I drive on the freeway, I do get 55 mpg or better, in the real world.

I don't know if you have noticed but Chevy touts their truck gets the best mileage of any truck in its class, may well be true but since they never tell you in the ad what that mileage is sounds like they are trying to imply it actually gets good mileage.

Ford shows the Focus implying it can go 423 miles on 1/2 a tank of gas getting 35 mpg, by my calcs. it would have to have a 24+ galon tank, I doubt it does.....I would think it would be very hard streched to get the 423 miles on a full tank.....again, implying it gets better mileage than it does.

I recently was thinking about replacing my Ranger truck (14mpg on e-85) with an escape hybrid, there are 3 ford dealers in this area, none had one, none was willing to get one, they kept saying it doesnt get much better mileage on the freeway than the regular one so I would be wasting my money.....I told them I drive 95% city...the response from all three dealers was well the "premimum" can't be justified in mileage so I might as well buy the gas guzzler they have.

Old 04-20-2008, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by pagemap
What about the Insight, Prius, or Civic Hybrid. All of these are capable of 60MPG with a light-footed driver.
The Insight is no longer in production. The 2008 EPA ratings for the Civic and Prius are in the mid to upper 40's. Impressive yes, but not rated 60+mpg. Yes individual drivers can best the EPA ratings as I normally do with my hybrid.

Quick Reply: Volt battery testing started

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands