General EV Discussion Discuss electric only vehicles (Tesla, Volt etc.)

Volt battery testing started

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 06:17 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Volt battery testing started

Hmm, since one is talking about killing the electric car, Honda killed not only the Insight but the Accord Hybrid. Is Honda forcing their customers to spend more on fuel now that 2 of their 3 Hybrids are currently off the market? Does this mean Honda is getting kickbacks from Big Oil?

I'm in favor of closing this thread that has become useless for "professionals".

Old 04-24-2008, 06:43 PM
Registered Users

If I get another complaint about smarminess, ad hominem attacks, people being told to get out of GH, or any other unnecessary hostility, this thread will be locked.

If you cannot put your point across civilly and rationally, I will bet that you either haven't tried or simply need to revisit your assumptions. I forget who originally said this, but I'll paraphrase... never offend with style when you can with substance.

Old 04-24-2008, 07:20 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Bobs Metallic Pearl
Sorry, I have got to jump in here.....Big Tuna, you are saying the dual mode is a better choice because it saves 7 more gallons per year than the Civic? WHAT ABOUT THE 285 IT WASTES???? come on, you can't be serious.

The Civic uses, by your estimate 286 gallons a year, the SUV TWICE that much @ 571....what are you smoking?
Clearly a Civic (hybrid or not) would be the better choice for someone in the market for a vehicle in the same class as the Civic. Last time I checked Civics were not too good at hauling work trailers, big boats or camping trailers. Yes I know there are plenty of people who don't need a pickup or SUV but there are plenty of people who do need a bigger vehicle and plenty more that just want a big ole truck and are going to buy one regardless. For the people who are going to buy a guzzler anyway, switching to a 2-mode will save just as much gas as going from a non-hybrid Civic to a hybrid Civic. That is all I'm saying.

Were I to ever need a truck or SUV I'd welcome higher mileage options. If they ran on renewable fuel that would be even better.

Old 04-24-2008, 07:35 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

O.K that makes perfect sense.....sorry I misinterpeted you.

Old 04-25-2008, 06:03 AM
Prius geek

I think sales numbers tell the real story...and they will continue to tell the real story.

People want real cars with real efficiency and real emissions reductions. so far, the volt ain't it. Other car companies are selling it. today.

Sure, some car companies produce low (dismally low!) MPG trucks and SUVs, and also produce a stellar group of hybrids.

Others produce mildly (VERY mildly!) better MPG trucks and SUVs and NO stellar hybrids.

Again, look at sales numbers. I think that says all that needs to be said. Green sales versus green ads. Which do you think will truly help the average person "drive green" today?

Old 04-25-2008, 02:14 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by finman
I think sales numbers tell the real story...and they will continue to tell the real story.

People want real cars with real efficiency and real emissions reductions. so far, the volt ain't it. Other car companies are selling it. today.

Sure, some car companies produce low (dismally low!) MPG trucks and SUVs, and also produce a stellar group of hybrids.

Others produce mildly (VERY mildly!) better MPG trucks and SUVs and NO stellar hybrids.

Again, look at sales numbers. I think that says all that needs to be said. Green sales versus green ads. Which do you think will truly help the average person "drive green" today?
I don't disagree on any point. In fact you are 100% correct. If you want to "drive green" in a "stellar hybrid" today the Japanese vehicles are almost the only way to go.

However based on the behavior of the people I work with, Japanese hybrids were before their time. Everyone talked about hybrids, but no one actually bought one. With gas under $2.00 a gallon almost no one cared about fuel economy (Green-Hybrid members excepted, of course).

Historically the US has been the inventor, investing tons of money in development only to have cheep Asian knockoffs undercut American made products (sorry about the broad brush strokes). This time it was Japan doing all the legwork on hybrids. GM might have done a smart thing by waiting.

Demand for hybrid cars is highly dependent on fuel prices. If gas was $1.50 a gallon you would have trouble giving an older used hybrid with potential battery pack issues away. The landscape changes quite a bit with gas at $3.50 a gallon, all of a sudden hybrids are worth their weight in gold.

Last edited by BigTuna; 04-25-2008 at 02:47 PM.