Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Our Announcements (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/our-announcements-8/)
-   -   Real Mileage Database (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/our-announcements-8/real-mileage-database-189/)

Jason 02-28-2004 10:54 AM

After hours upon hours of work, I have completed a new addition to GreenHybrid. A real hybrid mileage database has been created for you to share, interpret, and store your mileage information. The main page contains a data chart of all your individual cars' averages, organized however you want. Soon there will be a graph of the data. You can add your own cars to your account and then add, edit, or delete mileage data. With each "trip" or tank, there are 9 variables to input and a couple free response textboxes for explanations in your own words. Visitors can visit a "detailed" page of your log to view all of your data from each tank.

The address is https://www.greenhybrid.com/explore/mileage/ Please add any data you have gathered thus far and watch the database grow! I will back up the information often to make sure it is safe.

Enjoy!

Stevo12886 02-28-2004 12:02 PM

got a syntax error....well, my cars not actually on the list, hey jason, since yah got alot of refugee's from echofans...could you add echo's and corolla's to the list?

Jason 02-28-2004 12:05 PM

Steve,

Sorry about that. I realized that none of the averages were weighted -- doh! So I was doing a little more scripting. It's fine now.

I messaged you about your car. You can't add data if the car isn't on the list! Perhaps I'll add non-hybrids for comparison LATER.

Jason 02-28-2004 12:17 PM

So you know, I realized I will have a small problem with the sorting. Until I figure it out, the sorting is not weighted, meaning that if a person were to drive 1000 miles with a temperature of 100 degrees and just 10 miles with a temperature of 50 degrees, sorting by temperature will actually be ordered using the 75 degrees instead of the practically 99.9 degrees it should be -- if that made any sense.

It displays properly onscreen, but may not be in the right order until I find a fix. Shouldn't be long.

krousdb 02-28-2004 01:01 PM

Jason,
A couple of things. When I added my first tank info (37.8 MPG) the average showed up as 46. Now that I have added all of my info, you show 46.8 average while my excel spreadsheet shows 46.2. Maybe it's the weighted average thing you mentioned.

Also, under driving time, I assume that you mean average trip time. You can only choose up to 240 minutes. I suspect you need to go up to 720.

It would also be good info to have a place for average speed, tire pressure, AC on/off and canned answers for driving strategy. These are all things that drive my MPG. A cumulative mileage would also be nice, displayed on the summary screen.

Jason 02-28-2004 01:14 PM

Thanks for the information. First off, I don't see why it would say your average is 39 instead of 46. It may have been a fluke as I edited the code, but I'll check on it. The averages you see ARE weighted, but it's just the sorting that may be messed up until I fix it (I know how, but it will take a bit).

As far as the trip time, I will go up to 720. It's hard to imagine an AVERAGE trip time that long unless they're on vacation. Remember, you'll have to go back and edit your entrees.

Jason 02-28-2004 06:12 PM

I fixed the average problem. The pages are now all weighted so that it is displayed correctly. Until krousdb and Jerry follow the directions I provided in a PM, their averages are appearing blank. Don't worry about it.

I'll increase the ime options in a minute.

Jason 02-28-2004 09:16 PM

Steve,

You got your wish! You can now add additional models besides hybrids. Enjoy!

Stevo12886 02-28-2004 10:10 PM

hip hip...horay!, hip hip horay!

Jason 02-28-2004 10:17 PM

Now you can stop bugging me :) I've made a lot of progress with it today!

Stevo12886 02-28-2004 10:19 PM

lol...yah, i love the massive...NOT A HYBRID lable....

Jason 02-28-2004 10:21 PM

Haha. I was thinking about making a silhouette of a car with a question mark in it, but figured I'd write it out. Once there are many cars in the database, it will be surprising to see one of the non-hybrids at the top of the chart.

Stevo12886 02-28-2004 10:24 PM

lol...i doubt at the top...though the echos may push up there....the rolla wont be doing to bad once i get it fixed and optimized....

Jason 02-28-2004 10:25 PM

Well, I'm extremely proud of what the darn thing can do. I can't wait until more people add their data, though. We need to get the word out!

Stevo12886 02-28-2004 10:27 PM

ahh, its great...be a good place for my lazy self to put my gas milage down....now its just rememebering averages so if it takes a bad swing ill know somthin's up w/ my flower.

Jason 02-28-2004 10:39 PM

Ah. I just realized that I can calculate average speed based on distance and average trip time. I'll do that tomorrow. Also, I'm debating whether or not trip time should be weighted.

If I drive for 100 miles in 100 minutes and then 10 miles in 10 minutes, is the average trip time:

unweighted 55 minutes = (100+10)/2
or
weighted 91 minutes = ((100*100+10*10)/110)

I think it's right to be weighted, but am not positive. What do you think?

Jason 02-29-2004 01:55 PM

Scratch that part about calculating speed. Can't do it :)

Jason 02-29-2004 05:38 PM

Waaaaaaaait!

I just realized that I accidentally messed up the code so that if anyone selected a trip time of more than 2 hours, the database would still store 2 hours. I have fixed it now, but if you have already added data with an average trip time of more than 2 hours, please "edit" that trip and change it. Thank you!

Jason 02-29-2004 07:15 PM

Hm... this is odd. Organizing the main data by trip time doesn't work. I can't figure out why...

Jason 02-29-2004 07:17 PM

Oh, fixed.

eak354 03-01-2004 12:54 AM

this is great! :D

ericbecky 03-01-2004 09:48 AM

Would love to share my info but am still a little confused.

This is for recording single trips, correct?

Is there a way to record tankfuls?

Maybe I have not explored it enough yet.

An FAQ or something may help, too.

In any case, I'll post what I can.

ericbecky 03-01-2004 09:52 AM

Aha. I see it because much more self explanatory how to add items once click on "add new data".

I've got it now.

I was trying to understand it from just looking at the graph itslef.

Sorry!

Eric

krousdb 03-01-2004 09:53 AM

I have been adding tankfuls, although everyone else seems to be adding trips. The information is not very good for comparison if you are just adding trip info. We need LMPG info to be of any use.

Dan

Jason 03-01-2004 11:55 AM

Right. As soon as I have some time I'll make it a bit more clear. People need to realize that a "trip" is basically the time from when you get in a car to when you get out. A "tank" is what we're really looking for data for -- even if it's not exactly a tank, we're looking for an extended period for that data.

xcel 03-01-2004 03:36 PM

Hi Jason:

___I feel honored to have the highest fuel economy on a segment shown in your database to date but Rick Reese has already posted entire tank mileages from various years that exceed mine by quite some distance. I hope you can arrange your SW Dbase to sort the entire history and have his Insight’s multiple 100 + mpg runs move up to the top of the list appropriately … I wonder when the rest of the Insighter’s are going to get over here and fill the list with the incredible numbers their own little beauty’s are capable of?

___Rick, your entire tank averages are nearing my sights with the warmer weather appearing here near Chicago … finally ;) I can’t wait to see what your incoming 04 Prius will do with you behind the wheel!

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___Waynegerdes@earthlink.net

Jason 03-01-2004 04:13 PM

xcel,

The purpose of the database is to show averages, not bests. I can easily get 500 mpg in my Prius by driving across the street.

Jason 03-01-2004 07:07 PM

It's a bird, it's a plane, it's database totals!
https://www.greenhybrid.com/explore/mileage/

xcel 03-01-2004 10:22 PM

Hi Jason:

___I can get infinite mileage in the Insight by pushing it across the street as well ;)

___Oh boy … I think you had better create 2 or more databases then. One for personal bests over 25 - 50 miles and one for lmpg’s. There is also the problem of geographic location for those of us in the upper Midwest, Midwest, and Northeast having lower lmpg’s then those in the lower Midwest or southern stretches across the entire country because of the much colder temperatures driven in during the winter months.

___I do see all kinds of bests in there including my own to date. I am going to change my own numbers back to my current 77.3 lmpg in a few minutes.

___As for the Corolla and MDX, I don’t have their lmpg’s as I don’t keep them but I do know their respective personal bests ;)

___After thinking about this, lmpg’s don’t change that often but I haven’t driven but a single day or two where it hasn’t changed given how short of time I have been behind the wheel. Personal bests on the other hand change very rarely and are a lot less work since you don’t have to update that information all the time.

___And as a final edit, I removed the Corolla but the MDX won’t disappear even though it shows up as being deleted above the edit data page after selecting “delete” in the pop up form?

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

ericbecky 03-02-2004 09:33 AM

If I go back and edit an entry, (adding additional comments), it moves that entry up to the top of the list. For example I entered something yesterday, but wanted to add the fact that it was raining. When I edited it this afternoon, it changed the entry date to March 2, although it was first entered on March 1.
I'm not sure if this matters. Just thought I'd point it out.

Jason 03-02-2004 12:05 PM

First off, the one database will do :) I'm adding things all the time so that there are more calculations, etc. It is a CALCULATED lifetime mileage on the index page based on the data provided. I'll do what I can to try and have a more accurate LM, but there are too many people who can't calculate themselves.

Also, why remove the Corolla?

Right now I have the database set up to leave the data for a car that has been deleted, basically because the data is still assumed to be good. The part that I didn't think about earlier is that it isn't possible to go back and edit that data without it attaching itself to another car. Perhaps I'll make it delete data when the car is deleted.

As far as editing, I removed the update of the timestamp so the original date will stay put. Thanks for mentioning it.

xcel 03-02-2004 01:57 PM

Hi Jason:

___Because I don’t have the Corolla’s or the MDX’s lifetime mileage, I only have either a few month’s worth of totals or Highs.

___This leads to another problem … Since we are only displaying our averages, I don’t know what temperatures are supposed to mean? I know I have driven in as low as -5 and as high as 43 degrees F in the Insight so I placed 20 degrees as the temperature. It is probably close to the average but no one is going to keep that record for every drive no matter the length but what happens when we start traveling into the mid to high 80’s here in the upper Midwest? The average would be ~ 40 - 45 degrees which would not be representative either.

___A suggestion … In the data entry and displayed forms and formats, I think you should have an overall average for those that know it (all Insighter’s will) and an all time high with temperatures for that extreme. As the database stands now, there is a Prius driver with an ~ 75 mpg average which doesn’t look right either? The Japanese fellow that hit a 75 miler as his high has a lmpg of just 58 mpg which sounds about right w/ a 75 mile all time high.

___Maybe I need to see what you have and haven’t done to the Dbase before I get too excited about it …

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

Jason 03-02-2004 02:11 PM

Wayne,

First off, I am steadily coming up with ways to ensure better data. Look at the "add" page. I am also contacting members personally. The temperature is just that -- what you think the average temperature is for that period. It's approximate. Of course, it isn't exact, but it's better than nothing and in the long run, the averages will be pretty darn close. Also, EVERYTHING is weighted -- not just the mileages. This means that if the main page shows 54 degrees, that's 54 degrees weighted based on distance, so it's accurate Lastly, the 75mpg Prius is another Wayne. I will speak to him about adding his other data, else I don't think it will be useful. Don't bash the Prius owners, though. I'm well aware that Insights don't average 83.6 mpg :)

xcel 03-02-2004 02:28 PM

Hi Jason:

___No Prius bashing here ;)

___83 mpg as a lifetime average is lower then quite a few Insighter’s lifetime mileage. Rick Reese is sitting at 89.6 mpg over 85,000 + miles right now. His lmpg isn’t showing properly at all given all of the entries he uploaded over the last 2 days. I am hoping to be at ~ 82 by the end of April if we can maintain these nice temperatures in the Chicagoland area and into the mid 80’s by mid summer. My current tank has had 6 trips in total with each segment in the low 80’s to low 90’s w/ an 83.4 mpg tank average over 579 miles showing. Well, I can always hope this will continue?

___Now you can see some your members dilemmas. We have tank mpg averages and distances, we have segment mpg averages and distances, and we have lifetime mpg’s and distances. I don’t remember how the 04 Prius calculated these out nor offered them as viewable information but some of this info is in the FCD (Fuel Consumption Display) displays of every Insight built.

___I knew I shouldn’t have erased the previous owners 82.2 lmpg 2 months ago :(

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

Jason 03-02-2004 02:30 PM

Wayne,

Even Rick's average is displaying as 93mpg. I guess that means he's cheating, too, right? :)

The Prius only displays instantaneous and tank averages.

Now that you understand that all data is weighted, are you content? Also, what do you think of the new data?

Jason 03-02-2004 02:30 PM

Oh, and I set it up to delete data along with cars.

xcel 03-02-2004 03:22 PM

Hi Jason:

___I like how our cars in the database are cross shaded differently then anyone else’s when viewing the entire list. That was a neat trick!

___As for cheating, I really would like to see segments, tanks, and lifetimes side by side. If we don’t have some of the data, we’d leave it blank but it will give credence to those that have achieved stunning numbers. As an example, Rick’s many 100 - 105 mpg entire tanks will never show but for the last 40,000 + miles, he probably hasn’t failed to match 95 – 105 mpg + on each tank … With a lifetime at 89.6, a 100 -105 tank mpg from him makes complete sense. A 105 miler coming from me w/ just a bit beyond 7,000 miles within the next week or two might/would be a little suspicious as would a 75-80 miler from someone with a 52 mpg lmpg average.

___I just don’t have a way to properly input a tank or segment highs for the Corolla or the MDX right now with the Dbase’s current structure. It is really setup for lifetime mpg’s I guess?

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

Stevo12886 03-02-2004 04:28 PM

wayne...why delete the corolla?
you can just start 'er up w/ new data...i dont have any info but the milages in my head...so i just started anew.

Jason 03-02-2004 06:04 PM

xcel -- I assume you are aware of the "detailed" button?

Jason 03-02-2004 06:34 PM

Doesn't anyone own a Prius THS (Classic)? There's only 1 in the database and it looks like it's beating out the Prius HSD by 10mpg :)