Off Topic Politics, life, gadgets, people... gobbledygook.

Happy Honda Fit owner

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 09:22 AM
Enthusiast
Default Hypocrites and cheats

Hi all.........so it's gas mileage we are being rewarded for because we drive gas savers.....ha ha ha....right! I bought a 2008 Honda Fit recently and had an air grabber filter put on and the Pulse spark plugs put in.....after dealer additions I added that cost all of $250 including tax and labor......the plugs are the max burn type costing $20 each and the air grabber filter cost $60 and is cleanable and reusable up to 500 times(eco friendly right?) before it needs replacement. Then I filled the car with 41 liters of super unleaded Sunoco in Toronto at a cost of $1.12 per liter and headed to Ottawa.The car has a fuel rating of approx 50 miles per gallon....with the changes I added we were getting 70 miles per gallon......in other words we drove to Ottawa, a distance of 250 miles, and back with 10 1/2 gallons of high test gas and still had just under a 1/4 tank left when the trip was over......and the government tells me I don't qualify for the eco rebate.

P.S.
Be careful if you lease a
car through the dealership
because it is the car
company that gets the rebate
because they are name
listed on the ownership.Many
people take the lease and buy
route because the interest
rates are so much lower but
get screwed for trying to
do their bit for the environment.
No one really wants to make things
better do they?

P.S.S
Don't expect a break in gas
prices for anytime soon because
as long as politicians have
petro dollars in their
investment portfolios they're
not interested in seeing the
prices go down and besides
they get their gas paid for by the
taxpayer.No...no one really
wants to solve the problem...
do they?

Last edited by blooknight; 04-16-2008 at 04:08 PM.
Old 04-15-2008, 10:43 AM
Registered Users
Default Re: Hypocrites and cheats

Why did you put premium in a Fit? The engine will run happily on 87 octane.

Come to think of it, that engine may not have a knock sensor/programming to take advantage of hi-octane gas. If it isn't set up for that, you will actually get poorer performance and mileage than you would with 87. If it DOES have a knock sensor & appropriate code in the PCM, it will adjust timing to make use of it, but it'll still run fine on 87.

Last edited by IB Admin; 04-15-2008 at 10:51 AM.
Old 04-15-2008, 01:30 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Happy Honda Fit owner

That's the part of my post that worries you the most??!!

Old 04-16-2008, 04:30 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Show us your receipts.

There are so many technical errors with your post that it's difficult to understand what you are trying to say.

Old 04-16-2008, 06:24 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by blooknight
Personally I was confused over the 50mpg. EPA only rates that car for 31mpg so I'm not sure what number you were quoting.

Frankly, I don't care if you get 100mpg, it doesn't really impact me. I'm more interested in what drivers of other hybrids are experiencing so I'm not as surprised when it happens to me. Your anecdote doesn't really apply to anyone here. I'm sure there's a Honda Fit community that would be really interested in your story.

Old 04-16-2008, 10:12 AM
Engineering first
Talking Re: Happy Honda Fit owner

Originally Posted by blooknight
I think we're mostly bemused by the phrase "that worries you . . ." but let me suggest a better place to share your good news:Those folks are great fans of high MPG vehicles and may not be aware of your successful modifications. They also are very interested in improving mileage.

Bob Wilson

Old 04-16-2008, 10:14 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Well I for one am interested in what others are driving from all types of vehicles. It's also nice to know the Fit can achieve great MPG if driven efficiently. Greenhybrid have always been a friendly place to post regardless if it's hybrid or not.

With that said, a 250 mile trip achievement isn't reflective of a vehicles' performance- tank to tank calculations is. For example it's meaningless that I can fairly easily get 75MPG coming 25 miles from the mall.
But I share your excitement and encourage more of the same.

Anyway I'm glad blooknight is enjoying his new Fit. I'd bet it's a nice car.

-Steve

Last edited by Hot_Georgia_2004; 04-16-2008 at 10:18 AM.
Old 04-16-2008, 11:59 AM
Eco Accelerometrist

Unfortunately there are quite a few Canadians who still refer to the Imperial (UK) MPG ratings for fuel economy. This is not to be confused with the US MPG units that we use in this and other forums.

As an example, 70 MPG in UK units equals just 58 MPG US.

I would rather have them refer to FE in liters/100km which is what the rest of the world uses, if not using the US MPG units.

Bob:

On second thought he better not go to CleanMPG unless he's ready to be humbled by a big dose of reality. Besides, 58 MPG in a fit with a MT is pretty hard to get even with the most extreme of hypermiling techniques and the best vehicle setup... I fear that if he makes an entrance like he did here he's only going to embarrass himself at the hands of other FIT pilots.

Cheers;

MSantos

Old 04-16-2008, 03:53 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by msantos
Besides, 58 MPG in a fit with a MT is pretty hard to get
The person didn't mention whether it was manual or auto. If it is indeed manual then they are either ignorant about its eligibility for EcoAUTO rebate (worth $1000 for 2008 Fit w/ MT) or they are lying. Also, gas hasn't reached $1.20 yet in Toronto. Until the person can say what they mean I can't take them seriously. The post smells like a baloney bomb.

Old 04-16-2008, 04:49 PM
Eco Accelerometrist

Sorry Paul (blooknight). I feel embarrassed on your behalf.

Not only do you start with a less than ideal intro, but almost everything you say does not pass the collective scrutiny. Please enjoy your FIT and use your time wisely... hopefully bulking up on knowledge and much needed wisdom.
Hopefully at a later time you'll fare better.

Good luck;

MSantos

Quick Reply: Happy Honda Fit owner

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands