2006 Hybrid Gear Grind?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2022, 05:40 PM
Enthusiast
Default 2006 Hybrid Gear Grind?

Hi, My 2006 217k Escape Hybrid was recently grinding and sticking in one gear while on the expressway. There was a los in power and gas pedal vibrated. Did it three or four times then stopped. It has not repeated sense.

LOVE THIS CAR and not looking forward to having to replace it. Is my transmission going?

Any suggestions? Not really a car person but can do the basics with a YouTube video.

Thanks!

Old 11-09-2022, 07:24 AM
FEH owner
Default Re: 2006 Hybrid Gear Grind?

I'd be suspicious of the transmission because of the grinding and sticking in gear, but there really aren't gears per se in the constant velocity transmission. Also, I don't think a grinding noise in the transmission would just go away. Since you felt vibration in the brake pedal you might take a look at the abs speed sensors on the drive axles. When the sensor ring cracks the sensor comes loose and causes the anti lock brakes to grab. I'd be careful driving since the problem might reoccur. Also check/change transmission fluid, also transfer case and rear differential fluids if you have all wheel drive.