2009 FEH reported to have same MPG as previous years

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2008, 12:08 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 2009 FEH reported to have same MPG as previous years

Originally Posted by WaltPA
Well, I don't really think that going from rear discs, to rear drums, is really much of an improvement.

I seem to have no problems using the brakes on my '07 without the need for video game like "force feedback" on the pedal.
I think the hybrid models retain disks on '09. I was referring to the fact that Ford improved the "feel" of the brakes--I should have been more specific.

Old 05-30-2008, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by kristian
I think the hybrid models retain disks on '09. I was referring to the fact that Ford improved the "feel" of the brakes--I should have been more specific.
No, the FEH is going to drum rear brakes, evidently to allow the RSC to be implemented. Front remains disc brakes.

Old 05-30-2008, 02:07 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

The 09's are reported to have rear disc brakes also...

The new spoiler (lower) is claimed to give ALL the models a 1mpg increase, not the engine.

Consider however, more power, vvt, sync, steering wheel controls, stability control, upgraded interior trim, michelin lrr tires over continental, outside keypad, usb port, bright wheels, new seat materials for better comfort, a rear sway bar for better handling, and improved feel braking and steering as the major year model changes..

did I forget anything?

08feh

Old 05-30-2008, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by 08FEH
The 09's are reported to have rear disc brakes also...

The new spoiler (lower) is claimed to give ALL the models a 1mpg increase, not the engine.

Consider however, more power, vvt, sync, steering wheel controls, stability control, upgraded interior trim, michelin lrr tires over continental, outside keypad, usb port, bright wheels, new seat materials for better comfort, a rear sway bar for better handling, and improved feel braking and steering as the major year model changes..

did I forget anything?

08feh
No, every article I have read mentioned the drum brakes.

As for the rest:

I've not directly read that Sync is included in the FEH hybrid. I suppose it is, since the MMH literature shows it, but I haven't seen it confirmed for FEH.

There is no stability control, there is RSC, which is roll over control - quite different.

The braking change is a "feel" - don't care about that, it is a hybrid, and I prefer to feel the difference between regen braking and normal braking.

I haven't heard about any steering changes.

Outside keypad can be added to any FEH for around $80. Or both that and the steering wheel audio controls are available on the MMH. Same with interior trim.

Most of the rest I don't particularly care about, at least not enough to wait (and pay more for) a 2009 if I were shopping right now.

Last edited by stevedebi; 05-30-2008 at 03:25 PM.
Old 05-31-2008, 05:03 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Hi Steve,

Evidentally, many others "do" care about the brake "feel" because Ford claims it was changed as a direct result of consumer complaints!

Stop by ANY ford dealer and ask for a copy of the 2009MY fast turn orders and standard equipment list.

This way you can better educate yourself!

The 2009 WILL have what ford calls "advance trac" WITH RSC..
Advance trac has been used by FORD/LM for several years..It IS stability (and traction) control... read up on it...

You are right that RSC only is "very different", but wrong to think that the 09FEH won't have both.

The 09feh will in fact have sync per the same document.

A couple of other things I failed to add was:

Dual stage driver and passeger airbags, (reported as new for 09)

capless fuel filler door (don't know much about that).

Black Ebony center cluster trim...

Ambient lighting (I hope this is in the outside mirrors pointing at the ground)

hope this info helps!

If you would like a copy of the document and can't get to the dealer, I can scan it, it's 12 pages tho...ughh

The pricing difference is just inder 3k (31165 retail for 08, 34070 retial for the 09 similarly equipped)..

You are right about the wait however, if 08's are still available on the lot...

08feh

Last edited by 08FEH; 05-31-2008 at 05:10 AM.
Old 05-31-2008, 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by gpsman1
"With four-wheel drive, it'll return 29 mpg in
town (or on the beach), and 27 mpg on the highway."
I'll bet $49 Gazillion dollars it can't get anywhere near 29mpg on the beach...

Old 05-31-2008, 09:03 AM
Enthusiast

2009????

"Baywatch Edition is pretty
much standard-issue Escape Hybrid, with a new-for-2009 2.5-liter
Atkinson-cycle four-cylinder engine"

Old 06-02-2008, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by 08FEH
Hi Steve,

Stop by ANY ford dealer and ask for a copy of the 2009MY fast turn orders and standard equipment list.

This way you can better educate yourself!

The 2009 WILL have what ford calls "advance trac" WITH RSC..
Advance trac has been used by FORD/LM for several years..It IS stability (and traction) control... read up on it...

You are right that RSC only is "very different", but wrong to think that the 09FEH won't have both.

The 09feh will in fact have sync per the same document.

A couple of other things I failed to add was:

Dual stage driver and passeger airbags, (reported as new for 09)

capless fuel filler door (don't know much about that).

Black Ebony center cluster trim...

Ambient lighting (I hope this is in the outside mirrors pointing at the ground)

hope this info helps!

If you would like a copy of the document and can't get to the dealer, I can scan it, it's 12 pages tho...ughh

The pricing difference is just inder 3k (31165 retail for 08, 34070 retial for the 09 similarly equipped)..

You are right about the wait however, if 08's are still available on the lot...

08feh
Thanks for the offer of a fax, but I do have access to a copy of the MMH order, which was my source. I saw that sync is included after I wrote my post.

I do not think that RSC is full stability control as most vehicles have it these days. I don't know the technical differences. I have seen other posts indicating 2010 or so for VSC.

Ambient lighting is a switch that puts lights into the interior floor of the vehicle. I test drove a MMH with this. My 9 year old liked it, but it wasn't anything big for me. It changes the light between about 6 colors. It is a "mood" lighting thing. You are thinking of perimeter lighting, which I don't think the FEH has.

My understanding of the "capless fuel filler door" is that there is no cap on the gas tank - one inserts the gas pump nozzle through a self sealing opening. However that is no good for me - I currently have a locking gas cap on my FEH, and that would not be possible if the fuel filler cap was permanently mounted - unless they finally put a lock on the fuel filler door itself. People are starting to steal gas, and there is no point in making it any easier!

Interesting about the "dual stage" air bags. I believe that the current model has dual stage, and I'd be interested if anyone has any technical information about the changes.

In my opinion 3K is a lot of money for the feature changes. Unless the ICE only Escape also increased, that means that the hybrid "premium" is what, about 6K?

Old 06-02-2008, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by TeeSter
More power..... larger (or at least designed to look larger--my fiancee thinks the '08s are larger). Sounds to me like a lot of old thinking.
Tim, the engine size change was for two reasons as best I can tell.

1.) Consistency. This new 2.5L will replace the old Mazda based 2.3L and will be used across a LARGE portion of the FORD product lines. It makes economic sense to create a single engine that is well suited across many different vehicles. Don't forget that they introduced new (new to FORD) variable valve technology and will soon follow with the EcoBoost technologies. I think the 2.5L was built with all of this in mind and has the design features in place to implement it. As far as I'm concerned this is not OLD think but FORWARD thinking.

2.) Power. Look at the output of the other vehicles in the small SUV category, especially the main competitors (RAV-4, CRV, Vue). Ford has had the smallest engines and the lowest power ratings. This move was to even out the "on paper" comparisons. http://automobiles.honda.com/tools/compare/results-overview.aspx?ModelName=CR-V&ModelYear=2008&AICGroupNum=5096&AICNum1=22765&La stState=%2Ftools%2Fcompare%2Fselect-competitor-custom-change.aspx%3FModelName%3DCR-V%26ModelYear%3D2008%26AICGroupNum%3D5096%26AICNum 1%3D22765%26LastState%3D%26AICNum2%3D21497%26AICNu m3%3D22981%26AICNum4%3D21628%26Change%3D3&AICNum2= 21497&AICNum3=22981&AICNum4=21628&Change=&Filter=& Mode=&Photo==

Much like the rear drum brakes on the 2009 FEH, FORD is looking for ways to use common parts as often as possible and let's face it the engine has a large number of parts that can and should be commonized. As it sits, the FEH 2.3L is probably just a cam and computer tune different than the non-hybrid 2.3L.

Old 06-02-2008, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by MyPart
Tim, the engine size change was for two reasons as best I can tell.

1.) Consistency. This new 2.5L will replace the old Mazda based 2.3L and will be used across a LARGE portion of the FORD product lines. It makes economic sense to create a single engine that is well suited across many different vehicles. Don't forget that they introduced new (new to FORD) variable valve technology and will soon follow with the EcoBoost technologies. I think the 2.5L was built with all of this in mind and has the design features in place to implement it. As far as I'm concerned this is not OLD think but FORWARD thinking.
I'm not sure that Ecoboost is compatible with the Atkinson cycle?

Quick Reply: 2009 FEH reported to have same MPG as previous years

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands