2010 Ford Escape Hybrid Changes

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 07:39 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default 2010 Ford Escape Hybrid Changes

Like it says, those in the know post here what you know or have heard.

I was looking at the order sheet and found there are a few additions ...

1) flex fuel E85 compatible 2.5L ICE
2) auto park option, this will do the Lexus parallel parking for you. I doubt they will sell much of this option especially when it is at least $345.
3) Back up video camera just like the FFH.

I also was looking at the 2010 owners manual on line and saw that in the starting section it was just like the FFH saying that after turning the key to start, the ICE may or may NOT start this being determined buy several parameters. Battery charge state, heater and or defroster demand, etc.

Also on the center console there is no longer the ECON button. This leads me to believe that Ford is using the electric driven AC compressor just like the one in the FFH.

I have been searching to see the EPA mileage figures for the 2010 FEH but as of yet have not found them. This should show whether Ford is using the FFH improved battery and power management. I expect to see a small bump in MPG's if they are.

There you have it. That's all I have for now.

The reason I am interested is our 2008 was totalled out in an accident on the freeway at 5AM in the morning. We were rear ended by a drunk driver going 85-90mph. We were doing 65mph in cruise control.

The battery pack was damaged so it added $9000 to the repair bill. This brought the total to just under $22K.

So now it is either an 2010 FEH or the 2010 FFH.
I am leaning towards the FFH as it is several thousands $$$ less, gets better MPG's, rides much smoother, has a bit more rear seat room, has BLIS and cross traffic sensors, and really importantly offers charcoal black leather. If Ford offered this color over the way too light stone leather it would be a real toss up. We really disliked the light leather color. Odd thing is they offer the charcoal leather in the non-hybrids.
What's up with that?
This IMO is a foot shooting decision on Fords part.

Old 07-17-2009, 11:28 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 2010 Ford Escape Hybrid Changes

First, glad you weren't seriously injured in the accident.

Second, my wife would gladly pay $400 for an auto park option. $400/10 years/12 completely frustrating attempts to parallel park per year. Right now, I'm her auto-park and that only works on weekends and evenings.

Old 07-17-2009, 01:32 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Several thoughts...

Glad you're OK and weren't hurt in the accident.

I think the light color of the interior was a heat mitigation strategy. Completely conjecture on my part but I expect Ford was willing to go with the light interior to keep the cabin heat/battery pack temperature down when the car was not powered on.

As for mileage, I hope that they eek out at least 1 more highway-MPG so that GM can eat it for calling out the FEH in their new Equinox TV commercial.

Going off what others have reported with the 09 FEH and the 10 reported E85 capability, I'm assuming that the 10 FEH will handle E10 better than the 05-08's did. Every time I get 100% gas instead of E10 in my 08 FEH the mileage goes up 4-5MPG.

I also assume that Ford added a little more logic to the warm-up strategy. If all the heat/charge requirements are met then there's no need to start the engine (if you were only switched off for 2-3 minutes for example). If you're able to cycle the switch on/off/on without the ICE-ON warm-up each time, I can't help but think that FAS will be back in as hypermiling technique for the FEH.

Old 07-17-2009, 01:56 PM
Enthusiast

Yes indeed, a very good thing you were not seriously injured in the accident, says something for the safety features tho.

Originally Posted by MyPart
Several thoughts...

As for mileage, I hope that they eek out at least 1 more highway-MPG so that GM can eat it for calling out the FEH in their new Equinox TV commercial.
I thought this as well when I saw the banner ad. Then I tried to find out what it does in the city. GM does not make that information readily available(surprise). But what I have seen puts the Equinox in the mid to high 20's in the city. I think I like the 30+ constantly that my FEH gives me in the SUV size, rather then having to drive a small vehicle.

FWIW I have owned only vans and SUV's(outside of the couple small clunkers for b/s purposes) since early 1990's. I just can't stand small cars and how low they sit to the ground. I still own my 1990 Chevy G20 custom van. It has a 350 in it with over 200k miles, which gets about 10-15mpg. I got the FEH b/c it has the size I like, and it almost always gets 30+ mpg with a/c on. Plan on trading it for new model in 2011 or 2012.

Old 07-17-2009, 02:33 PM

Name:  fordescape2010E85Largee-mailview.jpg
Views: 314
Size:  198.6 KB

The E85 Escape refers to the V6 non-hybrid version only. There is no listed E85 4 cylinder Escape vehicle.

Old 07-17-2009, 02:45 PM
Active Enthusiast

BillyK you may be right I may have looked at this wrong. Either way the E85 rating would not make or break unless one were making ones own moon shine for their FEH. In this case one would like this feature and it would go a long way to driving happy.

Everyone thanks for the kind thoughts. No one was hurt thankfully. It sure was a wild ride. That 65 to 85/90 in about a millisecond was wild.

Auto park is a feature that you either REALLY WANT or REALLY HATE. From what I have read it is more refined than the Lexus version. Ford likes to refine these types of ideas. It uses radars at all four corners. I see this becoming active cruise control distance management too.

I think Toyota is doing something like this as an option on the 2010 Prius.

Old 07-18-2009, 01:36 AM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

I already have a Flex Fuel Ford Escape Hybrid. A 2005 FWD in fact.
My personal experience is, ANY modern vehicle with electronic fuel injection can use ethanol these days. Sometimes there is a short "adjustment" period, other times, not.

I've used E85 in my FEH on many occasions with no ill effects to date.
See MPG below. The best advantage ( to me ) is, it is made in the USA.

Old 07-20-2009, 08:12 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MyPart
I think the light color of the interior was a heat mitigation strategy. Completely conjecture on my part but I expect Ford was willing to go with the light interior to keep the cabin heat/battery pack temperature down when the car was not powered on.
The '05-'07 FEHs had the option of dark or light color interiors. I think in '08 they switched to the light tan only.
The '09 Tribute hybrid still has grey leather seats available with the Grand Touring trim...if you can find one!

Old 08-02-2009, 02:24 PM
Enthusiast

Is there any information yet on whether the 2010 Ford Escape Hybrid might have changed the back seat design that requires a total of 6 steps to fold down both sides?
It's much easier to drop the seats in some competitors, notably the 2010 Chevy Equinox, and that may be a factor for people and families who would use the car to haul stuff.

Old 08-03-2009, 07:16 AM

On my 08, I leave the headrest uninstalled, then it only takes 2 steps per seat and can be done with one hand.

Quick Reply: 2010 Ford Escape Hybrid Changes

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands