4wd feh quick question

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 11:47 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: 4wd feh quick question

Yeah it has been great for me so far in snow. And yeah I use snow tires in the winter

Old 01-02-2009, 09:40 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

[quote=Billyk;194710] My son's Escape has a mode in which the rear driveline can be switched into engagement but the owners manual warns of servere damage to the driveline if left in this mode on a tractive surface.

Willard just admitted he is basing his information on "non-current" Ford AWD systems.

Is anyone in our audience aware of any changes to the Ford Escape AWD/4WD technique since it was first introduced into the market?? Ford seems to indicate that the very same system is used for both the Escape and FEH, anyone KNOW, for certain, anything different...??

His son drives an older version of the Ford AWD that does not exist on the hybrid vehicles.

"..does not exist on the hybrid vehicles..."

Then would you please, PLEASE, explain what system does exist..??

Willard again mentions "wheelslip" and the newest Ford AWD system can engage prior to wheelslip.

As I have said before, the earlier Escape 4WD system had two modes, "auto" and manual. The driver could use the manual mode to engage the rear driveline at any time, but was advised, CAUTIONED, that to do this on a highly tractive roadbed would result in premature driveline failures due to driveline "windup". In the "auto" position the system "waited" for wheelspin/slip and then engaged the rear driveline. If wheelspin/slip did not re-occur, continue, the system would revert to FWD within 8-10 seconds.

I had/have understood, and some of the questioning posts assure me, that the "mode" switch has been eliminated, since too many drivers were (unknowingly/inadvertently) becoming upset with Ford for lack of warranty support for failures causing by the owner/driver.

Have a Good New Year[/quote

Yes, let's ALL have a happy new year and a good economic one at that.

Old 01-02-2009, 05:12 PM

The AWD system was redesigned and improved since the Escape model was introduced. The older system as noted by your description does not exist in the current Escape hybrids and Escape non-hybrids.

Have a good day.

Old 01-03-2009, 10:45 AM

According to the FEH Owners manual and shop/repair manual the FEH uses, primarily, TC, Traction Control, braking to alleviate/abate wheelspin/slip thereby helping to maintain traction. If the ABS pumpmotor begins to overheat as a result of extensive, extended, TC use the rear driveline clutch is LOCKED. Even with the rear driveline locked into the drive "loop" TC is still used to abate/alleviate wheelspin/slip.

Manufacturers of FWD and F/AWD vehicles have finally awakened to the fact that these vehicles are INHERENTLY HAZARDOUS on an adverse, slippery, roadbed. They are therefore going to EXTREME measures to counteract instances, INSTANTLY counteract, instances of wheelspin/slip of the front DRIVEN wheels.

If the ABS pumpmotor temperature continues to rise even with the rear driveline coupling locked then the AWD mode will be disabled entirely. The owners manual suggests that should that happen the driver pull over for a few minutes and allow the system to cool down.

Puzzling...this all implies that even the rear driveline lock will be disabled if the system begins to overheat. At first glance that seems inappropriate but then again if the TC system cannot be operational, thereby maintaining front wheel traction, it is probably true that the most pertinent action is to force the driver to the side of the road.

Does anyone know if it also "dethrottles" the drive system as it activates TC braking to alleviate wheelspin/slip as most TC systems do to prevent brake component, rotors and pads, from overheating..??

The documents weren't exactly clear/concise on this point.

Old 01-03-2009, 01:46 PM

Ignore Willard's post as he continues to rely on "items" that do not exist in my Escape Hybrid.

Old 01-03-2009, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by Billyk
Ignore Willard's post as he continues to rely on "items" that do not exist in my Escape Hybrid.
Why not, instead of continually disputing the information I have provided based on Ford's own documentation, get more specific, tell us how does "your' FEH differs....

Or just give us a "picture" of your understanding of how the FEH AWD system works, overall.

Last edited by wwest; 01-03-2009 at 03:06 PM.
Old 01-03-2009, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by wwest
Manufacturers of FWD and F/AWD vehicles have finally awakened to the fact that these vehicles are INHERENTLY HAZARDOUS on an adverse, slippery, roadbed. They are therefore going to EXTREME measures to counteract instances, INSTANTLY counteract, instances of wheelspin/slip of the front DRIVEN wheels.
Yes, MILLIONS of people are driving inherent FWD deathtraps (including your Prius incidentally). Funny how accidents and death rates continue to decrease (even in the wintery north) despite that MOST vehicles are now FWD instead of RWD.... also odd how its nearly impossible to control most RWD vehicles on ice.... ever tried driving a fishtailng RWD pickup truck or Camero in the winter? Most people I know that have one leave it in the garage all winter because the **** things are near impossible to drive... but remember. RWD is SUPERIOR on ice....

I think the TRUTH is nearer to the fact that EVERY vehicle has limitations on slippery roads. One is best off driving for the conditions in ANY vehicle. I've been driving a FWD on ice all my life... I have yet to have a near death experience (I have yet to have an even an "oh crap" experience... been drivng for 22 years in Vermont and MI).... perhaps because I don't drive like a maniac.

Old 01-04-2009, 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by TeeSter
Yes, MILLIONS of people are driving inherent FWD deathtraps (including your Prius incidentally). Funny how accidents and death rates continue to decrease (even in the wintry north) despite that MOST vehicles are now FWD instead of RWD....

also odd how its nearly impossible to control most RWD vehicles on ice....

No, not nearly impossible, just good sound judgment and experience.

ever tried driving a fishtailng RWD pickup truck or Camero in the winter?

My 140,000 mile '93 Ranger RWD currently has four 100 lb bags of sand in the rear bed and while I have no Camero experience I have owned both a '67 and a '71 Mustang FB, both 289/auto. Fun to drive, absolutely a BLAST but with CAUTION advised on an adverse roadbed.

Most people I know that have one leave it in the garage all winter because the **** things are near impossible to drive... but remember. RWD is SUPERIOR on ice....

"..**** things are near impossible to drive.."

Makes one wonder just how it is that the US population continued to grow, thrive, and even prosper for all those years before GM introduced FWD into the market in ~'69. Hmmmm..WEIRDNESS...GM was the first to enter the market and now the first to FORMALLY & PUBLICALLY announce their DEPARTURE.

But I see your point, ANYONE can get into a FWD vehicle and "drive" and never feel insecure due to the rear wanting to "lead". Common lowest denominator at work.

"RWD is SUPERIOR on ice...."

Yes, it actually is, but one must take the time to learn how to "feather" the gas pedal in order to maintain traction when the going is slippery. Use TC activation as a "heads-up" warning/indication rather than as a "CRUTCH".

I think the TRUTH is nearer to the fact that EVERY vehicle has limitations on slippery roads.

Suppose, what if, EVERY passenger vehicle, regardless of drive type/system had a control "feature" that could somehow predict the level of roadbed traction available in real time and NEVER allowed the engine to supply enough torque to "break" traction with the roadbed..??

And if so, how would you "manage" engine compression, or regenerative, braking on FWD vs RWD, differently....??

Since engine/regen RWD braking can be advantageous vs downright HAZARDOUS for FWD the control firmware would have to have different programming. Just as it already is for TC.

One is best off driving for the conditions in ANY vehicle.

Outstanding..I agree, ABSOLUTELY...

I've been driving a FWD on ice all my life... I have yet to have a near death experience (I have yet to have an even an "oh crap" experience... been driving for 22 years in Vermont and MI).... perhaps because I don't drive like a maniac.

Last edited by wwest; 01-04-2009 at 07:11 AM.
Old 01-04-2009, 10:37 AM

I guess I just feel you overstate the situation....

Honestly... I've been on some real sheets of ice... I have yet, in 22 years of experience, to have ever had engine braking, or in 3 years of regenerative braking, cause my FWD vehicle to loose traction when I've taken my foot off the pedal. I can loose traction when I apply the brakes! but its never happened in my recollection, without the brakes being applied.

When I enter a corner, I slow and apply brakes with the vehicle going STRAGHT.... When I reach the point where I am to turn, I actually have to apply the gas slightly (because I'm going so slow other wise the car would stop in the intersection) and the FWD pulls me around. Doing this I've stayed out of the ditch for 22 years. If you do that in a RWD you'll find its difficult to control the vechicle because you have to feather the gas so much while turning to prevent the back end from braking loose. In a RWD you drive DIFFERENTLY than a FWD. Its not a matter of deadly or dangerous, its a matter of KNOWING the handling characteristics of your vehicle in bad conditions and responding to them.

Even when going on the freeway, engine braking has yet to cause me to loose traction when I've pulled my foot off the gas. Engine braking just isn't that much of a "drag" on the wheels to cause a problem in my experience, at least not when driving reasonable speeds for the road conditions.

Perhaps if I was driving 70MPH plus and I pulled my foot off the accelerator, I would experience the effect... but I would argue the dangerous component of such a situation is the idiot behind the wheel going 70MPH on ICE, not the FWD vehicle.

I do know about black ice... I've encountered it, but I drive reasonably... perhaps thats why on bad roads I'm always being passed by everyone.

Last edited by TeeSter; 01-04-2009 at 10:40 AM.
Old 01-04-2009, 10:57 AM

Please ignore Willard's statements in this Ford Escape Hybrid forum.

Quick Reply: 4wd feh quick question

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands