91.2% Hybrid battery SoC

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2008, 10:11 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default 91.2% Hybrid battery SoC

It happened today on my way home from shopping. I had the famous hybrid battery reconditioning and watched my SoC rise to 91.2% before reversing itself. I have 18,303 miles on my vehicle. My last hybrid battery reconditioning was around 9600 miles. Photos of my scanguage II unit with this are in my cell phone-stuck. I have to go the repair center to see if these can be pulled out.

Old 04-05-2008, 01:54 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 91.2% Hybrid battery SoC

Groovy. Gotta get me Scangauge

Old 04-05-2008, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by TheBundo
Groovy. Gotta get me Scangauge
Your Civic likely has a larger normal hybrid battery SoC range than the Ford Escape Hybrid which is normally like 40-58%. I do not know if the Civic undergoes a hybrid battery reconditioning process.

Old 04-06-2008, 10:39 AM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

Bill- would you say you are pretty gentle ( mostly highway ) with your hybrid battery, or pretty vigorous with it ( mostly city, with lots of EV driving? )

People in the Insight community notice if they use their hybrid battery a lot, that is, pull it down and charge it up frequently with daily use, they hardly ever get a recalibration.
Those who baby their car, and rely mostly on the gas engine, get more frequent recals.

I use my FEH battery much more than the average joe, and I empty that sucker to 40% and below all the time. It is hardly ever on the high end of the scale. Because I give my FEH battery such a work out, I've only noticed 3 recal events in 3 years and 65,000 miles.

I think use of the battery give the computer opportunity to collect data.
Without wide swings in battery SOC from daily use, the battery gets "stuck in a rut" and needs to do a forced recal. Just my $0.02.

I'm curious also about the differences between a recal and a recondition.
Maybe with my driving style I have avoided the recals all together, and the 3 events I saw ( big charge up, big drain down ) were recondition events? A recondition would be to break the battery "memory effect" and/or to balance the cells, and a recalibration is just the computer learning what the real SOC is.

-John

Old 04-06-2008, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by gpsman1
Bill- would you say you are pretty gentle ( mostly highway ) with your hybrid battery, or pretty vigorous with it ( mostly city, with lots of EV driving? )

People in the Insight community notice if they use their hybrid battery a lot, that is, pull it down and charge it up frequently with daily use, they hardly ever get a recalibration.
Those who baby their car, and rely mostly on the gas engine, get more frequent recals.

I use my FEH battery much more than the average joe, and I empty that sucker to 40% and below all the time. It is hardly ever on the high end of the scale. Because I give my FEH battery such a work out, I've only noticed 3 recal events in 3 years and 65,000 miles.

I think use of the battery give the computer opportunity to collect data.
Without wide swings in battery SOC from daily use, the battery gets "stuck in a rut" and needs to do a forced recal. Just my $0.02.

I'm curious also about the differences between a recal and a recondition.
Maybe with my driving style I have avoided the recals all together, and the 3 events I saw ( big charge up, big drain down ) were recondition events? A recondition would be to break the battery "memory effect" and/or to balance the cells, and a recalibration is just the computer learning what the real SOC is.

-John
John, I would have to say I drive gently . I live very close to work, the short way is just over 3 miles (city) and the long way is under 6 miles (a stretch of 55 mph highway). Even if I was aggressive, my drive to and from work would not allow much time to "run-up and run down" the hybrid battery SoC.

Close to 60% of my mileage has occurred on the highway/interstate due to family issues and skiing. It is likely I will have to make another long trip to see my Dad who is losing his Cancer battle.

I don't know if my hybrid battery was recalibrated or reconditioned other than it's SoC rose to levels I have never seen or read before.

Old 12-02-2008, 07:18 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

And mine hit 90.3% today.

Mine ( the two times I've had the SGII ) went up from 53% and back down to 53%.

Has anyone seen a deep discharge?

In the Honda Insight, there are negative recals, and positive recals.
So far, in my 69,000 miles, I've only noticed 4 events ( 2 before the SGII )
and all four were a super charge up.

Old 12-02-2008, 08:19 PM
Enthusiast

Mine went up into the 80's today, that kind of freaked me out, I'm glad to hear it happens to other people too, and its normal, because my warranty just ran out about 50 miles ago. It seemed like the car was generally acting funny today, I guess this explains it.

Old 01-20-2009, 02:14 PM

I had another hybrid battery recaliberation today. Less than a mile from work, my SOC began climbing. It reached 86.5% when I had to shut off the vehicle and get into the worksite. Eight and a half hours later I restarted the engine, the SOC declined to 76.2 then rose to 78.7 before rapidly declining to the normal status. It was 18 degrees outdoor when I left work.

Old 01-20-2009, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by gpsman1

Has anyone seen a deep discharge
Mine went down to 36% the other day in a pretty serious fall from the 50% range. The assist affinity was really high, and it was frequently
in Electric Drive mode, even though the ICE was spinning. It kinda caught me by surprise since the lowest I had seen previously was 38%, and each of those times were after a long EV period--not with the engine spinning.

Old 01-20-2009, 04:06 PM

GaryG is the only person I know that claims to have a negative hybrid battery caliberation.

Quick Reply: 91.2% Hybrid battery SoC

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands