ABS C1018 : 46-AB code - No brakes!?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2023, 03:23 PM
Enthusiast
Default ABS C1018 : 46-AB code - No brakes!?

All - this is a new twist to the C1029:00-68 ABS brake issue in this thread: https://electricvehicleforums.com/fo...010-feh-33204/ but because of this new Code/issues I wanted to start a new thread for possible hits on this new issue.

OK, for the prelude, a few months ago my wife's 2010 FEH Limited 2WD started throwing the C1029 code (Primary brakes lower than Secondary brakes) but no braking issues. I've had NO luck resolving that. I've run thru (multiple times) the FORScan ABS procedures of clearing DTCs, running the ABS On Demand Self test, the ABS Reset, then ABS Service Bleed followed by a full brake system manual flush/bleed, followed by the ABS Multi-Calibration routine --> multiple times. No luck :-( LF pressure is 71.2 and RR pressure is 57.4 for the Primary channel, and the RF pressure is 54.1 and LR pressure is 50.6 for the Secondary which results in a delta of around 23% which exceeds the 10% threshold for C1029.

This weekend I went at it again with another round of ABS Self Test/Reset/Service Bleed and another full brake system bleed followed by Multi-Calibration, and NO changes in the four brake pressures! So I then ran the ABS Reset followed by Service Bleed followed by the Multi-Calibration routine, which then threw the new error could not complete the routine and the new C1018:46-AB code = "Regenerative Braking - Calibration/Parameter Memory Failure". After that, the brakes barely work almost going to the floor, and the engine idling at 1700RPM and no charging of the battery....Can't drive the FEH anywhere now! I have tried many iterations of the Reset/Service Bleed/Multi-Calibration including multiple Multi-Calibration procedures in a row and I continue to immediately receive the C1018 code (this also includes Resetting/Clearing of all DTCs but it still immediately throws the C1018 code).

HELP Please!! I cannot find a way to "reset" the ABS system nor get the C1018 to go away/complete the Multi-Calibration routine now. Exhaustive searches of the Web don't provide any clear answers. Does anybody know how to reset the ABS system fully? I checked with Ford web site and downloaded the As Built modules file, and the numbers in the As Built match what are in the Forscan dump of my ABS (though the As Built only has 6 blocks and my module shows 7...) I even got a full License key for Forscan and even tried re-writing the As Built values just incase, but no luck. Do I need a new ABS Control Module system ? I can only find a used one for $500 (new ones are out of stock and list for $2250 for both components !) All my brake lines look good, Master cylinder looks good/no leaks, tone rings all good.. Nothing I've done or read so far absolutely indicates a new ABS system is needed, but it's my best guess. Unless I can get some help/guidance I may have to shell out some likely big bucks and have my vehicle towed to a shop.

Thanks in advance! David

Old 02-23-2023, 06:03 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: ABS C1018 : 46-AB code - No brakes!?

There is a suggestion in the original thread that the Master Cylinder could be the issue. Does anybody have the factory specs for the brake pressure levels? My readings in the 50's/70's PSI seem to be much lower than other vehicle posts I can find, but I'm looking for what the FEH pressures should be. Thanks.

Old 02-24-2023, 09:12 AM
Enthusiast

Minor update: pulled the two 50A fuses for the Brake Control Module/Solenoid for a day and then tried running Forscan tests to see if that would clear the C1018, but NO success. :-( Some (perhaps) interesting data points - with the engine off I get very low and unequal brake pressure readings via Forscan: Primary (RF+LR) = 54+50, and Secondary (LF+RR) = 68+57 PSI. With the FEH running, I get Primary = 643+643 and Secondary = 1452+1438 PSI... Much higher numbers (and should with vacuum assist). However - still a big difference in the two circuits. So what does this mean --> Master Cylinder or ABS Unit? Cheers

Old 03-07-2023, 10:36 AM
Enthusiast

So I was having the same issue on a 2009 FEH had the abs light the traction light and the emergency break light on but everything was functioning no loss of breaks or anything. I just ran the service bleed test using forscan 2x and then ran the multi point service on the abs system and all the lights shut off.

​​​​​Now these lights only came on a few days ago when I was playing around with forscan service, was doing the multi point service and the test got interrupted and that's when the lights appeared along with the C1018:46:AB.

​​​​​​

Old 03-08-2023, 07:12 PM
Enthusiast

Hi Ricmigl - this is exactly how it happened to me and getting the C1018:46-AB code after the Multi-calibration service! Looks like you replied to my original thread on C1029 code - thanks!

Old 03-08-2023, 07:15 PM
Enthusiast

Well what do you know lol guess i did sorry just read the problems on this forum and not the names, trying to get ahead with these problems. Anyways i appreciate your support on this issue.