Aftermarket Speakers

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 12:53 PM
Enthusiast
Default Aftermarket Speakers

I am considering replacing my factory speakers in the door panels. Since I purchased a bare-bones model, this will be my only upgrade (I have the base stereo)--after all, if you can't listen to SRV or Clapton at concert volume, what's the point? I've done this on every car that I have owned--well worth it, as I plan on keeping this one 10+ yrs. Also plan on putting sound deadening layer in the doors.

Anyway, has anyone done this? Any tips above and beyond the normal care? Thanks in advance.

Old 01-22-2009, 01:50 PM
Active Enthusiast
Cool Re: Aftermarket Speakers

Sorry I'm no real help... But I know someone has replaced the sub in the back. But you also said you got the "bare bones" so you don't have the right back panel... wow now that I'm reading what I wrote... All I have is a GOOD LUCK!

This is one reason I got the limited.
ps JL's are really nice speakers that I've used in my cars in the past.

Old 01-22-2009, 02:34 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Aftermarket Speakers

I replaced my complete sound system. Almost any brand name speakers will be better than the stock speakers and this is evident to even novices when they compare each in their hands. You do need to add some sort of sound deadening material. I ended up using dynamat at the speaker locations and dynaliner in each door-rear cargo hatch, cargo side panels, under the cargo carpet and on the firewall under the dash. It helps but more improvement occurs with a new headunit and amplifier. There are a number of threads at Escape-Central.com on this subject. In 2007, there was a couple of threads on this subject on this site.

Old 01-22-2009, 07:14 PM
Active Enthusiast

I have a 2008 MMH with the premium sound combo Sat Radio/Nav/6 disc CD player. I wanted a better sound than the stock speakers, so I installed 2 sets of "Infinity - 5" x 7" Custom-Fit 2-Way Car Speakers Model: KAPPA682.9CF" called "Kappa's". I left in the stock subwoofer (found in the rear cargo area) - but may change that at some point. I have been real happy with the Kappa's. They are rated to handle up to 300 watts. I recommend them if you are looking for clear, natural highs. They don't handle bass as well as some other high end comparable speakers likeAlpine, but they are one of the clearest, most detailed speakers I've heard for the money. The tweeters provide accurate, sharp treble. They handle a good deal of power (100watts RMS), but you really need a good 4 channel amplifier to appreciate the quality of these speakers. They cost about $130 per pair at Best Buy May 2008. Hope this helps.

Old 01-23-2009, 01:27 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Like you, I have a stripper model FEH and had all 4 speakers replaced with Boston Acoustics-with their 6x8 plate components in front and their regular 6x8 2-ways in the rear. Some will say you don't need to replace the rear speakers, but I think you get better overall sound quality and a little extra bass when you do. I also had a small amp added under the front passenger seat to drive them. Kept the stock head unit and everything has been fine! A definite improvement over the paper cone stock speakers and everything still looks original to thieves.