Alternative Tire choices (LRR)?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2006, 10:59 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Alternative Tire choices (LRR)?

Originally Posted by TeeSter
I wonder how much SOFT/HARDNESS of a tire really matters on ice. Probably not much at all.... I'm not convinced that once you have water under your wheels on a slick surface the softness of a tire is going to mean a thing. I'll make a bet it would only matter on dry pavement where the tire could have a certain amount of "stickiness".
There is a tire that some people run here that's supposed to be almost as good as having studs....very soft, very flexible sidewall. And if you run it in the summer, it just melts away! So it can make a difference, but I don't believe minor differences matter that much.

Old 10-16-2006, 08:38 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

For whatever reason I don't really trust these tires. They seem slick in the rain and I'm worried about them in snow/slush. I had Michelin's on my Grand Cherokee a couple years back and those tires made the Wrangler's I had on my Explorer feel like they were covered in grease.....and those Wrangler's made the Firestone Wilderness tires I had before the recall feel like they were greased.

Old 10-16-2006, 10:26 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

No problems with my tires here, and it's been plenty wet (for a change!)

Old 10-16-2006, 10:39 AM
Active Enthusiast

I also went through a Boston winter with these tires. I had no problems in the snow or slush, and really haven't had any in rain either. But on ice, or really packed snow, I felt they underperformed.

Low Rolling Resistance is really about how much the tire deforms at the contact point. There is a fair amount of extra energy required to deform the tire as you drive, and that is the energy saved with LRR tires. I've read it is up to 2 mpg, but have no personal experience with the numbers.

The consequence of LRR tires is that you generally have a smaller patch of rubber on the driving surface with the LRR tires. This has nothing (directly) to do with the rubber compound in the tread.

I've also heard that manufacturers are going to start adding a rolling resistance measurement to tire specs, but that obviously doesn't help right now.