Any help appreciated on my new 2008 Mariner.

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2007, 10:33 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert
Default Re: Any help appreciated on my new 2008 Mariner.

"According to the EPA, a 10% ethanol blend will result in about a 3% loss in efficiency."
Yes. In YOUR engine, right now.

Any car built in the last 15 years can burn 30% ethanol without any modifications. Only result is you will get fewer MPG in most cases, unless you have a fully optimized engine, specifically made for ethanol. Then the differences in MPG are so slight, it almost not worth mentioning. Ethanol can, when done properly, provide more power per stroke than gasoline.
Did you know from now on, every single Indy Car race will only allow ethanol for fuel? And I think they use E98, or 98% ethanol. The same size race engine, proper set up gets about 30 more horsepower from ethanol, than gas.

Ethanol can be made for about $1.10 per gallon, and sells wholesale for about $1.90 per gallon. Plus, it is renewable, and made in the U.S.A.
-John

Old 07-05-2007, 07:18 AM
N/A

"100% gasoline" is the key. Unless you live in a place where they have 100% gas, the lowest rated fuel yields the best MPG. Running anything higher, as Brady said, is a waste of money.

We know ethanol has about 35% less energy than gas, specifically 76000 BTUs per gallon versus 116000 for gasoline. In most areas octane ratings are raised via ethanol. Higher octane rating = less BTUs per unit. Higher octane gas = less energy per gallon = lower mileage. This is why premium shouldn't be used unless the engine requires it. And why your mileage drops when "winter fuel" (with less pure gasoline) is introduced in some areas. It often has more ethanol and thus less energy, so your vehicle burns more for the same amount of performance.

This is why E-85 vehicles get about 30% lower mileage on E85 than they do on E-zero or E-10. In my area, E85 is almost always about 30% cheaper than regular unleaded, so running E85 saves nothing. It needs to be 35% or more cheaper to be justified. Keeping in mind, of course, that you're burning something made mostly of corn instead of petroleum, and the value we place on that. (often questioned considering how much petroleum is used to produce the corn, but that's way off topic.)

The point is: High octane gas contains less energy. So it's sometimes a little confusing to hear high octane fuel called "the good stuff" or "better". It's not better, it's different. It's designed for high performace engines. For energy content, it's "worse".

Ethanol does have more controlled combustion characteristics (higher octane) which is why it's a great way to enhance the octane rating of a volatile fuel like gasoline. The more ethanol in the mix, the more spark advance and richer mixtures your engine can run.

Last edited by mtberman; 07-05-2007 at 07:34 AM. Reason: rmv typo & add BTU ratings for fuels
Old 07-06-2007, 08:54 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mtberman
This is why E-85 vehicles get about 30% lower mileage on E85 than they do on E-zero or E-10. In my area, E85 is almost always about 30% cheaper than regular unleaded, so running E85 saves nothing. It needs to be 35% or more cheaper to be justified. Keeping in mind, of course, that you're burning something made mostly of corn instead of petroleum, and the value we place on that. (often questioned considering how much petroleum is used to produce the corn, but that's way off topic.)
Another aspect, is that E-85 burns "cleaner" than straight gasoline when compared gallon to gallon. However, not that much cleaner. Along the same reasoning as yours, since one has to burn 30% more E-85, overall, there is more pollution, not less, coming out of the tailpipe.

Old 07-06-2007, 10:46 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

On the contrary... E85 burns much Much MUCH cleaner than gasoline.
Have you ever been to a fancy buffet, inside a fancy hotel perhaps?
Ever seen those "Sterno" alcohol burners under the hot selections?
How come you never see gasoline burners under the hot food?
Ethanol can be BURNED INDOORS WITH NO HARMFUL EMISSIONS!

http://www.sterno.com/consumer/consu...gel_fuels.aspx

" Sterno has been the leader in portable canned heating fuels for over 100 years. The patented solid gel formula resists spills, burns cleanly and is safe for indoor use when used as directed. Sterno cooking fuel is perfect for all of your cooking and food warming needs.

Be prepared – Always keep a can on hand for the home, on the go or emergency situations. For use with all types of home entertaining, recreational and emergency products. Benefits include:

Alcohol based formulation burns extremely clean with no harmful emissions.
Consistent heat output of 205°F holds foods above recommended FDA levels.
Ethanol based formulation is non-toxic.
Consistently delivers the promised burn times.
Patented gel formulation eliminates dangerous flare ups and is odorless, smokeless, and clean burning.
Can be extinguished and relit as many times as necessary until all the contents are consumed.
Portable and compact enough for backpacks, picnic baskets and RV’s."

Old 07-07-2007, 04:06 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

OK, now we know what company GPSMAN works for!!

lol

(humor)

08FEH

Old 07-07-2007, 04:46 AM

Originally Posted by gpsman1
On the contrary... E85 burns much Much MUCH cleaner than gasoline.
Have you ever been to a fancy buffet, inside a fancy hotel perhaps?
Ever seen those "Sterno" alcohol burners under the hot selections?
How come you never see gasoline burners under the hot food?
Ethanol can be BURNED INDOORS WITH NO HARMFUL EMISSIONS!
If you believe in global warming though they both produce CO2 when they burn... not a particularly toxic gas.... I think thats what people are getting at when they say that. Though admittedly the term "clean" is a bit confusing.

Last edited by TeeSter; 07-07-2007 at 06:23 PM.
Old 07-07-2007, 07:39 AM
Active Enthusiast

Another question, is there any chance someone has the owners manual in PDF for the 2008 Mariner?

Also, 10k miles seems to be discussed alot on the forums as when getting the oil changed. This seems really different from what I am used to. Is there something special with the hybrid that makes it need its oil changed less?

Old 07-07-2007, 08:39 AM
Active Enthusiast

In the thread titled "Today?", the original poster said this about the manual: "I printed out an owners manual from the myford site" so you may be able to access it from there.

Regarding the oil changes, most new vehicles are going with longer intervals than years past. 5,000 to 12,000 miles are common these days. In the hybrid the engine isn't always running for every mile driven so that's one reason it's such a long time.

Old 07-07-2007, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by Brady
In the thread titled "Today?", the original poster said this about the manual: "I printed out an owners manual from the myford site" so you may be able to access it from there.

Regarding the oil changes, most new vehicles are going with longer intervals than years past. 5,000 to 12,000 miles are common these days. In the hybrid the engine isn't always running for every mile driven so that's one reason it's such a long time.
AND a normal car idles a good amount of the time... engine running, oil aging all the time the Odometer doesn't turn. So they have to account for that in a normal vehicles oil change interval. On a hybrid, no idle.

Old 07-08-2007, 06:51 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Hey.... "Today?" was my post

I do have the Ford Manual in .pdf.. I got it from the myford.com website.
If you are not registered there, I would be glad to email it to you.

post or pm your address.

I would think the manuals are the same???

08FEH

Quick Reply: Any help appreciated on my new 2008 Mariner.

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands