Any reason cannot remove rear seats?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 05:43 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Any reason cannot remove rear seats?

I am thinking seriously about a FEH. I reallly like the fact that the rear seats fold flat. Great for camping if I want to sleep in the FEH. But is it is a tad short, even on the diaganol. If I removed the rear portion of the seats that the set-up folds against the front seats I could creat a lot of room that with some supplements could be used for sleeping. Any reason I cannot remove them? Thanks.

Old 03-22-2009, 08:40 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Any reason cannot remove rear seats?

These rear seat bottoms (which is the part that ends up right behind the front seats when folded), can be removed really easily. I believe there is just 4 bolts to remove and then you can remove them. You wouldn't gain a lot of space but when quarters are tight I can see where it might help.

I've never looked at removing the tops of the back seats. That might be a bit more involved and would not allow for the "fold flat" feature so I wouldn't think that it would be useful in a camping scenario.

Old 03-22-2009, 08:51 AM
Active Enthusiast

No need to unbolt -- there's a pin that slides out. The rear seat-bottoms are designed to be removable without the need of any tools at all.

1 - Flip the seat bottom up against the front seats, but don't fold the seat backs down yet.

2 - You'll notice that at the point where the hinge arms connect to the car there is a yellow tab. It's a retaining tab. Lift it slightly and it will allow you to slide the hinge arms sideways, removing them completely. Only the hinge nearer to you (assuming you are standing outside the car) has the yellow tab. The hinge nearer to the middle of the car has no retainer and will slide freely.

Old 03-22-2009, 09:02 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Doh... pg 108 in the 2008 Owners Guide (2nd Edition). Guess it's time for me to re-read it again.