Basic MPG questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 11:06 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Basic MPG questions

Originally Posted by wptski
If your a pilot, you didn't mention a head wind. I was driving home from a cottage yesterday through some open farm land. A bit of rain but very high winds were pushing me around. My Scanguage showed a 10MPG drop at 60MPH with the wind. I drove though a series of passing storms, when it finally cleared up, my MPG returned to normal.
True statement. I hadn't figured in headwind issues, since it wasn't mentioned. I presumed he was referring to overall mileage for his trips, in which case, headwinds are normally only a portion of the average conditions involved. If this was, in fact, the case, I stand corrected on my comments.

Bob
06 FEH 2WD
Fayetteville, GA/Enterprise, AL

Old 04-04-2010, 11:45 AM
Imported from Detroit

Originally Posted by bob95fxdl
True statement. I hadn't figured in headwind issues, since it wasn't mentioned. I presumed he was referring to overall mileage for his trips, in which case, headwinds are normally only a portion of the average conditions involved. If this was, in fact, the case, I stand corrected on my comments.

Bob
06 FEH 2WD
I'm a low milage driver and rarely make any long drives. This was one of my seldom trips to this cottage and the first with the ScanGuage-II and I was amazed how the wind affected the MPG.

Old 04-04-2010, 01:29 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mendel Leisk
I don't think cruise control will ever improve mileage. At best, on a dead-flat road, it might match what you can accomplish using your foot. As soon as you get any amount of up or down grade, it will impact mileage, due to it's dumb adherence to the set speed.

I agree that you cannot beat the mileage you can get manually with careful attention, but if you have ever driven across the great plains, you would appreciate having cruise control. The greatest variation in elevation for miles on end often is the occasional overpass.

I have often wondered if the auto companies have worked on more options on cruise control with driver selection on the variance between the maximum and minimum RPMs. I don't know what it is on current cruise controls, say set speed +/- 10% with change in loads. For a lesser hit on miles per gallon, what if the driver could select 15, 20, or 25% variance under load. I suppose that the manufacturer would worry about liability.

Old 04-04-2010, 02:39 PM
Imported from Detroit

Originally Posted by Motown
I agree that you cannot beat the mileage you can get manually with careful attention, but if you have ever driven across the great plains, you would appreciate having cruise control. The greatest variation in elevation for miles on end often is the occasional overpass.

I have often wondered if the auto companies have worked on more options on cruise control with driver selection on the variance between the maximum and minimum RPMs. I don't know what it is on current cruise controls, say set speed +/- 10% with change in loads. For a lesser hit on miles per gallon, what if the driver could select 15, 20, or 25% variance under load. I suppose that the manufacturer would worry about liability.
I've never looked into it but some advanced PR stuff for the 2010 Fusion stated that it had a new hilly road cruise control option. Being PR stuff it could be dead wrong!

Old 04-05-2010, 10:39 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

I listen to Road Dog trucker radio sometimes. They are comming out with smart cruise control in the big rigs.

Right now, they have smart cruise control that maintains a set distance from the vehicle ahead. ( in some high end cars too )

Up in the next 1 year, they will have GPS enabled cruise control for trucks, that will automatically gear the truck down on grades. ( more and more big rigs are Automatics these days... no more "gear jammin'" but if they have GPS cruise control for trucks.....

Old 04-06-2010, 02:46 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I've often wondered about a couple options for cruise control...

Pulse and glide
Conservative cruise (maintains rpm, not speed)
Maintain a distance from vehicle ahead (great for drafting)

Old 04-06-2010, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by colchiro
I've often wondered about a couple options for cruise control...

Pulse and glide
Conservative cruise (maintains rpm, not speed)
Maintain a distance from vehicle ahead (great for drafting)
I use CC on flat roads while in EV below 40mph every chance I get. The '09 FEH FWD is the best P&G vehicle I've ever driven so you should get great results in your '09 AWD FEH if you can find the sweet spots. I just completed in the Winter MPG Challenge 8 at Cleanmpg.com got 1st place in my '09 FEH. I went over 3,000 miles in three months and averaged 57.7mpg using these techniques and others in every day driving and my commute. This represents 177.5% of combined EPA (32.5mpg) for the '09 FWD FEH. If I had rolling hills and no ethanol I could have done much better.

If I drove 70-80mph I would not even waste my time looking at my average MPG. Also, the '09 MPG average gauge is 4% higher than gas pumped at fill-up. My nav system said I was averaging 62.8mpg when I only got a 58mpg tank.

GaryG

Old 04-10-2010, 05:05 PM
Enthusiast

My wife did say she ran into a fair amount of wind - kind of hard not to drive through the Plains states and not see some wind.

Yes my wife used the CC quite a bit, but the 75-80 MPH kind of kills everything else. I keep the tires inflated to 38 psi, don't want to go too high and lose the traction. I'm happy getting anything over 25 MPG in an SUV considering my old Cash for Clunkers 1996 Blazer used to get 19-20 MPG max.

Old 04-10-2010, 07:22 PM
Super Moderator

Looks like the gang has covered this issue fairly well.

Mileage goes down with:

Cold
Speed
Under Inflated Tires
Wind

Obviously a tail wind helps. Not everyone knows but a side wind can be just as bad as a head wind. A side wind evidently goofs up the aerodynamics.

On flat ground I notice better mileage heading East (generally with the wind) than West (generally into the prevailing wind).

Going 80 mph into a 20 mph headwind is like driving 100 mph!

Old 04-10-2010, 07:50 PM
Active Enthusiast

Gary:

Have you and a couple of the hypermileage gurus ever considered doing a YouTube video on your techniques? It would be useful for some of us newbies.

Bob
06 FEH 2WD

Quick Reply: Basic MPG questions

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands