Block heater

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2010, 11:19 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Block heater

What are you guys doing to make block heater connections easy?

I always have to struggle and wiggle the connector to plug/unplug mine, it's never an easy connection. I considered cleaning the plug prongs, but haven't yet and can't think of a lubricant that's safe and effective. I suspect it'd be a lot easier if the heater cord was firmly attached to the body like EV's. It doesn't help when there's water running off the hood or water in the plug cap either. I hate winter.

Old 10-30-2010, 01:28 PM
Imported from Detroit
Default Re: Block heater

Use dielectric grease which can be purchased at any auto parts store. I know that CRC brand has some. I'm sure that any Ford Dealer has some also for more money.

Here's the Ford brand listed in the manual for use on the COP's: Motorcraft-XG3A

Last edited by wptski; 10-30-2010 at 01:49 PM.
Old 10-30-2010, 04:41 PM

Thanks Bill.

Has anyone tried this?

I guess they have: http://www.delica.ca/forum/dielectric-grease-9338.html

Last edited by colchiro; 10-30-2010 at 04:43 PM.
Old 10-30-2010, 05:35 PM
Imported from Detroit

You can also use NyloGel 759G which was used on automotive connectors till it was replaced by NyloGel 756G which has a higher temperature rating. I use the 759G on battery contacts to prevent corroding. The 759G is real easy to find. I bought a couple of tubes, so I'm good for life.

You can go to:http://www.nyelubricants.com/ for specs and MSD's.

Old 10-30-2010, 05:58 PM

Found a pocket pack at my neighborhood auto parts for about a buck. Cleaned the terminals and added a bit and it seems to be better.

Thanks for the idea.

Old 11-03-2010, 05:54 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Note that dielectric grease is just that: dielectric. IOW it doesn't conduct electricity. So don't use it on the prongs of the plug.

Old 11-03-2010, 08:31 PM
Imported from Detroit

Originally Posted by Bill Winney
Note that dielectric grease is just that: dielectric. IOW it doesn't conduct electricity. So don't use it on the prongs of the plug.
That's funny as here's some from Permatex: http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...0941&ppt=C0139.

Can't say if they still do but Ford used dielectric grease on their injector connectors but not other connectors.

Here's a direct link to the Nye Lubericants that I mentioned above: Conductive Greases

Last edited by wptski; 11-03-2010 at 08:38 PM.
Old 11-04-2010, 12:31 PM
Active Enthusiast

I use GB OX/Guard on the connection to the charge port on My EV. As it is a conductive paste it is designed to improve conductivity and reduce heating on wiring. Especially Al. As it is also greasy it makes the plug slide and lock very easily. I just put a little in the receptical and it does a great job. Have not had to reapply it in over 4 years.

Have also used it in the house on a few wall sockets that seem to grip plugs a bit tighter than necessary.

Only down side I have found is it is black and if you get it on things it shows. Cleans off pretty easily.

Old 11-04-2010, 07:35 PM

Dielectric grease

This grease is used on connectors to ensure a weather seal & to ensure that, for spark plugs, high voltage & current doesn't leak past the boot. But it's not there to enhance conductivity.

My point is not about the boot & weather seal but about the conductive contacts. A dielectric is by its nature highly non-conductive, so don't put it on the prongs of the plug.

'Nuff said.

Old 11-04-2010, 07:38 PM

Follow the oreilly link above, read the description, and you'll see that the permatex product is about sealing boots around connectors, not about enhancing the conductivity of the electrical contacts.

Quick Reply: Block heater

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands