Old 07-27-2009, 01:18 PM
Red
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Break in period and question about oil

Note to Ford Engineers: You are wrong!

Old 07-27-2009, 01:43 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

If you think that's what I said you didn't even try to understand what I wrote.

Simply: there is a break in for the engine and a break in for the axle. Whichever is most limiting will be what Ford engineers list in the owners manual.

My point was simple: the axle is more limiting and so that's what goes into the owners manual. This matches my experience when I had to replace an axle.

Mobil has unequivocally stated that Mobil One may be used from the show room floor. Which I have done without problem on a car that now has enough miles on it to have shown any problems that might appear.

Ford engineers have never said that a synthetic should not be used until after a certain mileage... or break in period.

I've avoided any judgment on the stuff above thus far. But Red's remark was dumb and causes me to infer a lack of engineering experience and knowledge on his part.

Old 07-27-2009, 02:09 PM
Active Enthusiast

I will assume that all of you out there using synthetic oils are doing so not only for the increased mileage but for the extra protection too. I stumbled on and item that I have put on my TCH which I believe will help. It is a very strong rare earth magnet that has been designed to exactly fit your specific filter. You just place it on the oil filter after you complete the oil change. The magnet is stong enough that it won't fall off. I understand that most engines today are aluminum but remember there are parts inside your engine that aren't. Any metal shavings in your oil are collected on the inside of the filter opposite the magnet on the outside as they pass though your filter. You use this over and over again. When the next oil change rolls around you just slide the magnet off and put it on the new filter. You will not believe how long you oil will remain clean. Check it out for yourself and make up your own mind. Rick

http://www.shopfiltermag.com/

Last edited by rickkop; 07-27-2009 at 02:10 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-27-2009, 02:39 PM
Red

From the owner's manual - "BREAKING-IN YOUR VEHICLE---
Your vehicle does not need an extensive break-in. Try not to drive
continuously at the same speed for the first 1,000 miles (1,600 km) of
new vehicle operation. Vary your speed frequently in order to give the
moving parts a chance to break in.
Do not add friction modifier compounds or special break-in oils since
these additives may prevent piston ring seating."

This includes full synthetic oils for the break-in period. I know the Ford engineers, have seen the tests and trust their judgement. I/we don't have any control over what Mobile says, but they are incorrect, if that is what they said.

Old 07-27-2009, 03:11 PM
Red

Amsoil says=== 'Breaking in a new engine is the one area that petroleum oil is better for than synthetics. You see, petroleum oil has a very low film strength which is ideal for breaking in a new engine." This coincides with what Car and Driver's Technical Editor has to say about the break-in period and the immediate change over to full synthetics.

I'm not against full synthetic oil, just wait until you have seated the rings, worn in the cam lobes and followers, etc. before you change over to a full synthetic. BTW, the BMW engineers agree with the Ford Engineers.

Old 07-27-2009, 07:55 PM

I've heard too many guys like you claim to "know the Ford engineers." Usually just bunk. Mobil One doesn't qualify as a special break in oil, its just another lubricating oil and can be used like any other.

Unless you're willing to give a name & phone number of your "Ford Engineer," keep it (& I expect that he'll be a degreed tribologist).

My experience is clear and simple: it can be used like any other lubricant.

The rest is an old wives tale, or maybe I should say shadetree mechanics jawboning. I've found the car mags to be wanting on sound technical info.

Keep in mind I've put my money where my mouth is on two Ford cars and they run exceptionally well (one at 251K and the other at 52k).

Old 07-28-2009, 09:54 AM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

I put a runtime clock ( hour meter ) on my engine. It only ticks over when the engine does. EV miles, and EV hours spent at stoplights don't count.
I have a second meter that does count EV time.

At 900 key on hours, I had only ~750 engine runtime hours.

Ford says to change oil ( which is assumed to be Motorcraft synthetic BLEND ) every 10,000 miles or 200 hours, whichever comes FIRST.

Well, I left the stock oil in for 6000 miles.
Then, went to the dealer for "first one free" service, and they added dino blend a second time. Drove that for 2000 miles, then I learned of the benefits of a full syth and went to Mobil 1 at about 8000+ miles.
Been on Mobil 1 ( 0w20 ) ever since. Ford Helpline 800# says 0w20 is ok for persons with below zero starts. That oil acts just like 5w20 when hot.
My Honda specs. 0w20 for year round use. So I buy cases of it at a time, and use it year round in both.

Back to the runtime clock... since the switch to full syth, I now go 200 hours.

Since I do mostly highway driving, I reach about 15,000 miles before I reach 200 hours on the engine oil.

I change every 15K, which as Bill suggests, is probably too soon.
That's only 6 months for me, with not too many cold starts since I drive long distances ( a full tank usually ) between starts.

Also, I would like to add, there is not one solution right for everyone.
This is just one data point for you to consider.
HTH,
-John

Old 07-28-2009, 10:59 AM
Active Enthusiast

This is the point of the discussion. Informed folks make far better decisions then those who follow others blindly or do things out of habit. What was done 20-30 years ago is far different than today in part due to technological advancements. In the old days 3000 miles for a tune up and oil change. Today spark plugs last 100,000 miles and tune ups are a thing of the past. Thank goodness.

The last hurdle is the oil change interval. Here is where knowledge is golden. Without oil analysis we are just wildly guessing. With oil analysis we have much more exact numbers and then how comfortable we feel will over ride these facts. Non diesels engines are far cleaner. We can easily extend the oil change interval. How long will depend on the sampling and the type of oil used. Full synthetics are required in the aircraft industry. There is a reason. It is superior. Testing proves this to be a fact. It can be a lot less expensive if one were to use a good by pass filter as you can run the oil longer.

I love saving money AND protecting my engine all at the same time. How about you? Win, win.

Old 07-28-2009, 06:33 PM

Is there anyone else that would like a "runtime clock" addition John (GPSman1) added to his vehicle? Would he (or can he do it on this website) provide the details for a small fee?

Old 07-29-2009, 08:22 PM

Gpsman1: where do you sense the engine on and off?

AllenF: You have hit the issue right on. After I waited and shifted my 92 Suburban to Mobil One at about 5,000 and then changed it every 3,000 I concluded that it could have been changed ASAP after purchase. I researched it and found Mobil's info that says exactly that.

I then purchased an 01 Mustang and drove it home and changed oil to Mobil One at 8 miles.

When I discovered bypass filters and oil analysis (for the rest of us out here) I set up this car with a bypass filter and started oil sampling. My rationale was: let the samples tell me when to change oil. I went from 3,000 to 6,000, to 9,000, to 12,000 & etc until I got to 33,000 miles. At 33,000 miles I hit my limit and changed anyway. The samples never told me there was a reason to change oil.

So when I purchased the FEH, I began the same thing. Only difference was that finding a tool to remove that pastic top on the special Ford filter was tough (bought four tools until I found one that fit) so I didn't change until 78 miles.

In the end I concluded that the old saw about break in with dino oil and then shift to synthetic was just that: an old saw. My samples tell me that there is no problem and both engines run just fine (Mustang is at 251,000 & FEH at 52,000).

So my position is clear and aligned with Mobil's. I believe they will back their position up should an engine fail from improper break in.

Of course Ford's words about friction modifiers and such stand, but I don't consider Mobil One a "friction modifier." As I see it, it is just another lubricant with a very, very good film strength and a reduced coefficient of friction.

Quick Reply: Break in period and question about oil

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands