Buying 2008 MMH, options to add?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2007, 04:10 PM
Enthusiast
Default Buying 2008 MMH, options to add?

I am buying a MMH 2008 tomorrow and would like to think what you think are good options to add.
1. Audiophile, is it really that much better sound system for the additional $395? I am planning to plug in my IPOD which does have good sound quality anyways.
2. Moon and tune.
Does the moorroof increase wind noise? I don't really care for the satellite radio, but from what I've seen its a package you can't just add the moonroof by itself.
I am already adding the leather option on it, and don't really care for the navigation since I have a convertible BMW that already has it, but don't use it that much anyways.
Thanks.

Old 09-02-2007, 04:35 PM
Omnia Gloria Fugit
Default Re: Buying 2008 MMH, options to add?

Yea but the Nav system has the cool hybrid graphical display. I dont use my nav system that much but I use the heck out of the display.

Old 09-02-2007, 06:48 PM
N/A

Ya, I wouldn't mind hybrid displays. I had a Prius for two years and so I've "been there/done that". My Prius also had the nav, and I did use it a few times to find Dairy Queens and Post Offices, and a couple of times when traveling, but that's it. Sure, I liked it but for me it's worth maybe $600, not $2000.

Audiophile sound was a deal breaker for me. I'm a big music fan and have had premium sound in all but one of my vehicles over the last 20 years, and wouldn't have it any other way. Depends on your taste and lifestyle, of course, but I definitely recommend it if you are a music person. It's a good system.

As for the moon/tunes, I wasn't crazy about it at first. I wanted a FEH with Premium Pack and Audiophile sound, nothing else, but the only one I could find also had moon/tunes. I've had roofs in the past and rarely opened them so wasn't big on that item. As for Sirius, our other car has XM and we love it but I wasn't sure we would be in the Ford enough to justify it. It's not a daily driver.

Well, I was wrong. I use the sunroof all the time! Zero wind noise. And we always have either an iPod or the Sirius going. I don't even remember which CDs are in the changer, and haven't heard a commercial radio station in months. No matter where you go, long trips, short trips, up in the mountains or way out in the desert, whatever: Sirius or XM are always available. It's always crystal clear and offers dozens of choices.

Worth $10 per month? Your call. Probably not a great choice for those who listen to mostly talk radio or who never turn it up very loud. For me, I'm really glad to have both Audiophile sound and the Sirius. Love 'em both.

Last edited by mtberman; 09-02-2007 at 06:49 PM. Reason: typo
Old 09-04-2007, 10:24 AM
Active Enthusiast

I'll second the above comments. Moonroof is completely silent when closed. The premium sound/nav system/satellite package is overpriced but once we used it we couldn't do without it.

A small item - running boards. I don't know how this is on the MMH but I originally didn't want them but the only available FEH had them. They are a must!! They cut the dirt on the side of the car down so much you almost never have to wash it. My guess is they will be a long term benefit wrt rock chips.

Old 09-04-2007, 12:00 PM
N/A

Oh yeah, forgot to mention them before so let me ditto the running boards. I initially avoided them, not only because I didn't think I'd need 'em but also because I'd heard that side steps on the Gen 1 Escape often caused wind noise.and I like a quiet ride.

Well, I discovered really quickly that loading/unloading bikes from a roof rack is tricky even if you're over 6' tall. Got the running boards with my 10% off thing from Ford, installed them myself and loading is much simpler and safer now. Plus, I've decided I like how they look and YES as an added bonus they deflect rocks and dirt. They do not generate any wind noise.

Old 09-05-2007, 08:06 PM
Active Enthusiast

The moonroof is silent when closed and actually fairly quiet when open, at least compared to other cars I have been in. You do lose at least an inch in interior head room however with that option. The headliner "indentation" ends over the back seat right before any taller occupant would have their head. Yes, I wish you could have gotten it without the satellite radio, for at least not having that silly antenna on top. The premium sound system is not worth the price as far as performance goes (also using with iPod), but adding some good quality speakers should fix that with the small amplifier and sub already there as part of that option. The running boards are nice but they do scratch easily where one will be stepping, so I will probably be installing some nice tread tape when I get the time.

Old 09-07-2007, 01:13 PM
Enthusiast

My 2008 Hybrid has the:
- premium sound
- nav system (helps to monitor ICE/battery usage)
- leather seats option
- chrome package
- side boards
- and added the clear mask protection to the front and the side mirrors

HRCleanTech.com
Renewable Energy Highlands Ranch