C-Max Energy

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2013, 10:31 AM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert
Exclamation Re: C-Max Energy

Originally Posted by GaryG
It appears I've stumbled across a charging technique in the C-Max Energi that increases EV distance. What I'm seeing and reading about is thermal balancing of the cells. I was trying to run the A/C while charging with my 110V charger and found I could push the brake pedal and hit the start button and the A/C would start cooling. The car gave a message to unplug the vehicle and would not allow the car to move in EV. This prevents driving off with the car plugged in and damaging the car and the charger. Little did I know that the Energi continued to charge in this mode, but it also switched to cooling the battery with cabin A/C. Now the real thing happen that blew my mine. The engine started spinning with MG1 in fuel-cut with no RPM's on the tach, no change in MPG and very little increase in engine temperature. What was happening was MG1 was regulating the energy going to the battery so the heat of charging was drastically reduced. This allowed the cells in the battery to get a better thermal balance. The reward was what I coined as a supercharge. The battery drained much slower in EV and the range increased.

Gary
You've perhaps stumbled into a way to get a little extra charge.
Your explanation of why is preposterous.
Your "technique" is very wasteful from an energy standpoint, puts more wear and tear on your car, and has no advantage for you or the car.

Thanks for posting, but you forgot to tell readers NOT to do what you uncovered.

Old 09-03-2013, 12:16 PM
Default Re: C-Max Energy

Originally Posted by gpsman1
You've perhaps stumbled into a way to get a little extra charge.
Your explanation of why is preposterous.
Your "technique" is very wasteful from an energy standpoint, puts more wear and tear on your car, and has no advantage for you or the car.

Thanks for posting, but you forgot to tell readers NOT to do what you uncovered.
Same old John.

It only takes thermal balancing on the full side of the battery. In other words, I charge the battery normally, then precondition with the A/C on high before my trip. The battery drains down a maximum of 7% from 99.3% full and then begins a supercharge of thermal balancing the cells to 99.9% full. This does not waste any energy because 33.9 miles verses 21 miles is over a 50% gain in range with just 30 cents or less energy from the wall. On top of that, I don't waste battery energy cooling the heat soaked cabin before the trip. The Energi has a gauge to show how much energy the A/C is drawing and I can tell you it is about 4-5 times more while cooling a 110F heat soaked cabin here in Florida today than after the cabin is cooled to 73F.

One only has to look at the photo to see proof of my results. Remember, I don't have mountains to coast down to increase range and MPG like your false statements in the past.

With cabin A/C cooling only, the battery can reach over 113F easy in my hot summers driving in EV and charging. Many have complained since I gave them CarlD X-gauge programming for the Energi, that they could no longer go EV after reaching a battery temp of 113F. I found proof in writing from Ford engineers that 113F was the cut off point where Ford didn't want the battery to get hotter than 113F. My techniques have eliminated a inefficient hot battery, so who is wasting energy?

Right now, I'm at 280mpg/2200 miles and growing every time I drive my Energy because of increased battery range and my hypermiling skills. I thought I could get 5,000 miles on a single tank of gas when I posted to BillyK awhile back. It now looks that I may double that to 10,000 miles or more. The good thing is, my wife can drive the Energi without reducing my lifetime MPG. She only works 5 miles away and she has a charging station in her parking lot if she needs it. BTW, there are free charging stations all over the place here.

One Energi owner posted pictures of his lifetime (6 months) MPG of over 400mpg. It's not hard to do with short trips and free charging stations everywhere. Many people who owned the FEH, MMH, and FFH and posted here, purchased the Energi and are posting there now. Why not join the party!

Gary

Old 09-03-2013, 02:31 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: C-Max Energy

Why not join the party!

Thanks for the invitation and likely in the future. Some of us need to spend funds elsewhere at this point of our "life". Will monitor from a distance.