Can anyone answer why?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2008, 09:34 PM
Enthusiast
Default Can anyone answer why?

Questions

1. How can a vehicle lock itself when in park and key in th RUN position and the engine is running?
2. Why is my exterior paint code on door show DV, which is reported as LT Tundra Metallic Clearcoat yet my window sticker shows Titamium Green Metallic Clearcoat?

Details

A few days ago I made a big mistake. I followed my normal commute to work and since I was running late and in a hurry I failed to use common sense. When I pulled into my parking spot my 2006 Escape Hybrid was in EV mode. I put the gear in park, opened the door, and hit the lock button. I failed to turn the vehicle off and pull the key. I assumed that the second I hit the lock, the autounlock feature unlocked the drivers door but I failed to notice. 3 hours later I discovered I was missing my keys. Retracing my steps through the office I ended up in the parking garage to discover all doors on my Escape were locked and the engine was cycling on and off. How could all of the doors be locked if the autounlock feature prevented me from locking the drivers door with the key in the ignition? After getting the second set of keys and unlocking the drivers door I hit the lock button and it immediately unlocked it. So, did the vehicle lock itself after a period of time. I see nothing about this in the owners manual. Of course, my owners manual didn't come with a section for idiots who leave their engine running and try to lock the doors and walk away!

That led me to my second question. I purchased the remote keyless keypad so that I would never be in this position again. It came with an additional cover that can be painted to match the exterior color. I found a website that will mix my paint and put it in an aerosol can but when I entered my paint code from the door (paint code is DV) it came up as Light Tundra on the paint website. My window sticker reports my color as Titanium Green. The Ford dealer part dept also knows my color as Light Tundra. They look the same color to me so I am assuming Ford is using 2 names for the same color. Why in the world would they create this confusion?

Old 09-14-2008, 09:15 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Can anyone answer why?

I'd have to get the book out, but I think pressing the actual lock button overrides any auto unlock, maybe it has to be pressed twice, can't remember.

Can't help with the paint code, LS works great, I ordered side moldings and they matched perfectly!
I mounted my keypad behind my mirror, click my pic page to see it.

Old 09-14-2008, 02:21 PM
Enthusiast

Humm....interesting place behind the mirror...didn't think of that and no painting....btw...loved the "baby sister" pics of the '65 Futura....brought back many memories...I had a white '66 in my teen years....loved that car...man you could really work on those..plenty of room in the engine compartment as it had the long hood from the mustangs....thanks for the trip back!

Old 09-14-2008, 03:01 PM
Red
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Light Tundra Met. C/C is the engineering name given the color. The Sales Divisions develop their paint names. In this case- Titamium Green Metallic Clearcoat. Each Sales Division - Ford, Lincoln, Mercury and Mazda could possibly have their own name for the same color.

That is why they will always ask for the paint code - (DV).

Old 09-14-2008, 05:28 PM

Jeff,

I located my keypad out of sight at the back of the car on the lip slightly to the left of where the rear license plate goes. It's completely hidden (unless you bend down and look upward) and it's out of the weather. After a few times you learn the code and don't need to look at the unit to unlock. Check out post #38 on this thread for a picture: https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...d-entry-14034/

Old 09-14-2008, 06:41 PM
Enthusiast

Red....Thanks for explaining the paint code to me..

Chris...You have a 2008, mine is a 2006. I think the clearance is different because I cant get mine to mount that way..Mine would have to be lower and I would not like that. I really wish I could find a hidden place but will probably go to the expense of coloring to match and mounting on the door.

Also, I have done further testing and discovered what I think happened in the parking garage...I think a good samaritan came along, noticed my car running, found the doors unlocked and, using the PASSENGER door, locked the locks and shut the door.....if you try to lock the doors from the drivers door with the keys in the ignition, the system will not let you....but if you lock the doors from the passenger side, all doors lock and remain locked.

Old 09-16-2008, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by 08hybridok
I'd have to get the book out, but I think pressing the actual lock button overrides any auto unlock, maybe it has to be pressed twice, can't remember.

Can't help with the paint code, LS works great, I ordered side moldings and they matched perfectly!
I mounted my keypad behind my mirror, click my pic page to see it.
I may buy the keyless kit to mount there, although the Ford accessory sites say it is not for use with the hybrid. Apparently that is not true, or where did you get your pad?

I assume the mirror will still fold in with the keypad there?

Old 09-16-2008, 01:52 PM

I got off ebay. Mine is the 'older' version before they came with 2 covers, one black one primer. The key to programming is, quick on/off cycles. Stupid me waited for the lights & gauges before turning back off, it's just on-off-on-off fast!

I assume it will fold too, I never fold mine in, didn't really know they folded

Old 09-16-2008, 03:58 PM

Never mind what the Ford website says about them not being compatible with the hybrid models, we know for sure that both the old and new models work. Check the thread I referenced earlier for the Ford part number that I used.

My wife was able to program it and she and electronics don't usually get along.

Old 09-16-2008, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by 08hybridok
I got off ebay. Mine is the 'older' version before they came with 2 covers, one black one primer. The key to programming is, quick on/off cycles. Stupid me waited for the lights & gauges before turning back off, it's just on-off-on-off fast!

I assume it will fold too, I never fold mine in, didn't really know they folded
Thanks, I'll check the fold before install. I just ordered mine. The Ebay seller said this was the "new model" which was thinner, but still comes with two covers.

I'm looking forward to mine because when I zip into 7-11 for a coke refill, I would like to leave the key in the ignition, but still lock the car (manually, via the door, not with FOB). It saves fuel because the FEH will not go directly into EV, but if I leave the key on it will still be in EV when I return to the car.

Quick Reply: Can anyone answer why?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands